Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Pitted forks + Araldite = result!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

mchaggis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:52 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: Pitted forks + Araldite = result! Reply with quote

Wooo, very nice. Cleaned up and degreased the forks, covered the pits in Araldite (Precision) and left it to set for a couple of days. Sanded it level with wet & dry, then polished up with Autosol and chrome cleaner.

For a few days work (mostly spent waiting for the Araldite), I've got a perfectly smooth working section of this fork, smooth as the original chrome itself. I've got some gaiters too, so job done.

Stinkwheel, I owe you one. Thumbs Up Smile

Total cost: £2.99 Tube of Autosol + £3.49 Araldite Precision + 49p Wet and dry = £6.97.

A new fork stanchion would have cost at least £70. Shocked
____________________
I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile



Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:58 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

any pics? what bike the forks on?
____________________
99 RS125 --> 02 SV650s --> 03 Speed Four --> 92 RXS100 --> 93 CB400sf --> 01 CB600f Hornet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:01 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're on my '87 VT500 I got for 450 notes a little while ago. The DVLA got the V5 back in pretty rapid time, so now all I need to do is get the swingarm welded up/ replaced and I'll be ready to go. Thumbs Up

I'll see what I can do about a picture.
____________________
I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

loply
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:06 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitted forks and a swingarm that needs welding? Laughing

Better stick to 30 zones on that thing.
____________________
Yamaha SZR660 Caution to the wind, the throttle pinned!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:09 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

loply wrote:
Pitted forks and a swingarm that needs welding? Laughing

Better stick to 30 zones on that thing.


Find me an old cheap bike which doesn't have pitted forks and a bit of rust then. Razz Laughing Leave anything sat for a while and it will tend to corrode. The VT500 swingarm crossbrace has a reputation for rotting from the inside.
____________________
I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hotdog
Nearly there...



Joined: 28 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:10 - 06 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

er...

Quote:
Find me an old cheap bike which doesn't have pitted forks and a bit of rust then.


I think you were supposed to do that part yourself ?

It's a bit late asking now you've bought a heap.

Smile
____________________
He's a gentleman, a scholar, he's an-acrobat, he's the one and only truly original.......
Hotdog....(Defender of the weak, the poor and the innocent)
He's The Ace - He's Amazing...He's the Strongest... He's The Quickest.... He's The Best!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:10 - 06 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hotdog wrote:
er...
I think you were supposed to do that part yourself ?

It's a bit late asking now you've bought a heap.

Smile


It was cheap and I'm not scared of a little work. I knew the fork seal had gone, but the only noticeable pitting was below the level of the dust seal.

The swingarm needing done? That was just my own stupidity for not inspecting it properly. I made sure the shaft tube had no holes in, and that was enough for me at the time. Doh!
____________________
I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 302 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 1.26 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 55.52 Kb