Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Hand pump powered hose?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:41 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Hand pump powered hose? Reply with quote

Morning folks. I've just been outside to start cleaning my bike but with the crappy weather over the last couple of weeks it is absolutely covered in grit and ca-ca.

Normally when I wash it, I pour a watering can over it, then Muk-off, then rinse with watering can - but so much crap has got on the inside of the bike that I really need to hose it off, and therein lies the problem.

My house hasn't got standard taps so I can't fit a hose onto them (I've tried a couple of adaptor kits, but they always end up spraying water all over my kitchen at some point), and I fear the power of the power wash!

Is there any kind of device available that you put water into and then pump enough pressure in to get a hose type effect?

Cheers. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:09 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it to the garage and use the jet wash.
____________________
the undemocratically unelected mod of the Scottish section
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bezzer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:11 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get one of the pump up garden sprayers, 10 litre one is ideal, you cant get enough pressure and alter the jet to make a good job on the bike including shifting the shit under the mudguards etc. Used one for years with no problems on my bikes
____________________
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not quite so sure.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Teaman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:11 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

or fit an outside tap, inside or outside
or take it to your nearest kosovan car wash,
there really good in sheffield
(no thats not racist, its just happens all or 99% of the had washes are run by kosovans in sheffield)
____________________
There is no point in ranting about someone stupid because there is nothing u can do about it. There is no cure for stupid.
Someone stupid does not realise they r stupid.stupidity is indistinguishable from malice U just have to accept that some people are thick as p1gsh1t and work around them.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:33 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't trust jet washes - or rather I don't trust myself with a jet wash, and I can't fit an outside tap because all the plumbing is at the back of the house, and the bike is at the front (I don't really want to trail a hose through the house). Thanks tho.

I like the idea of the pump garden sprayer (I assume that was a typo, and you mean you can get enough pressure Very Happy )
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:42 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to watch QVC, they're always showing the amazing gravity fed high pressure car hosing system.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:46 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, I knew someone who had one, and apparently they are pish, the water just trickles out (unless you are prepared to wail your hands around like a madman Very Happy )

I just bought this on eBay, so we'll see how good a job it does:
https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7715960020&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:UK:11
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:29 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.zillions.org/Toytest/Watertoys/Images/wtt005.jpg

Job done

Thumbs Up

Note: Token black kid not included Wink
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:33 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

People always used to use stirrup pumps. They are hard work though!
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:37 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn I wish I had though of buying a Super Soaker! Laughing Laughing

I saw some stirrup pumps on eBay, but they looked like something Noah would have used!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:51 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our landlord uses a stirrup pump on his boat, I don't think they're much use for getting continuous high pressure rather than just shifting a large volume of liquid in a not too long time.
____________________
I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser



Joined: 20 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:06 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested to hear how good that ebay pump works, I've got the same issue at my uni house regarding lack of hose.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:48 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaggis wrote:
Our landlord uses a stirrup pump on his boat, I don't think they're much use for getting continuous high pressure rather than just shifting a large volume of liquid in a not too long time.


They used them to put London out during the blitz.

https://www.walmington-on-line.co.uk/assets/images/db_images/db_33_Stirrup_Pump1.jpg
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

loply
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:51 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allo mate, I have exactly what youre after, I think my parents bought it, its basically a container with a hosepipe nozzle on the end, and a handle with a trigger.

Fill it with boiling water mixed with fairy liquid and the steam keeps the container pressurised.

It blasts grit off the shock and forks and under the engine, but is nowhere near powerful enough to chip paintwork. I imagine it was £4.99 from B&Q.

I usually give the whole bike a good blasting with that, then use the Air Gun on my compressor to dry it and help blow off the dried on cack. Quick and effective.
____________________
Yamaha SZR660 Caution to the wind, the throttle pinned!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser



Joined: 20 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:13 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't really want to be using washing-up liquid, it's abrasive.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:36 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd be interested to hear how good that ebay pump works, I've got the same issue at my uni house regarding lack of hose.

I shall put a follow up post on here when I have given it a shot. At the very least, it should be good enough to give the bike a quick rinse after every use.

Loply, I shall have a look round online to see if I can find that device that you have, just in case.

Ta. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

loply
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:12 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

maurice, what are you saying it will do exactly?
____________________
Yamaha SZR660 Caution to the wind, the throttle pinned!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser



Joined: 20 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:21 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

With repeated use it'll damage your paintwork, dulling it and taking the shine off.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Cillit-BANG
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:10 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of these should do just dandy. Use with a decent bike degreaser (Ride have reviewed them this month btw) and you should be fine.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Finglonga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:39 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

maurice wrote:
You don't really want to be using washing-up liquid, it's abrasive.


Not so much abrasive, but it does contain salt, after prolonged use will dull paint, alloy chrome etc...
____________________
Andy Sez....
F.Y.Y.F.F.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:54 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cillit-BANG wrote:
If it's fine by Barry Scott, it's fine by me. Plus, I bet all his coins are spotless, which is nice.


Bastard. I had to see that whilst sitting in front of a huge collection of coppers.

Im now going to have to clean them.

You do realise that dont you.

I hope you do.

Really i do.

Grr.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Cillit-BANG
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:08 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, the're aint nothing, NOTHING I TELL THEE, nicer, than a shiney tupence.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

IronMaiden
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:58 - 06 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my man a pressure hose as a gift......BIG MISTAKE.

Those things are addictive!!

He cleaned his bike first, then had such fun he sprayed both cars, then all the paving around the house. Tried it on the walls and bits of brick came off , then thought it was a good idea to clean the tiles in the shower.
Blasted half of the tiles off the friggin' walls !!!!

Definitely not a toy to be played with! Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dodsi
Dirty Carny



Joined: 06 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:13 - 06 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanceLikeAMonkey wrote:
Quote:
I'd be interested to hear how good that ebay pump works, I've got the same issue at my uni house regarding lack of hose.

I shall put a follow up post on here when I have given it a shot. At the very least, it should be good enough to give the bike a quick rinse after every use.

Loply, I shall have a look round online to see if I can find that device that you have, just in case.

Ta. Thumbs Up


I could do with knowing how it works too (having just upgraded to a ZX6R which is a cunt to clean!)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nrml76
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 05 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:00 - 07 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you spend big money, have you tried the hozelock multitap connector? https://www.hozelock.com/productcatalog/products.asp?range=watering®ion=ROW&catno=2274&hierarchyID=1&hierarchyID2=33&hierarchyID3=35&hierarchyID4=
I bought one off ebay for less than £6 about half an hour back. It is specially designed to fit on difficult taps like kitchen and bathroom taps.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 302 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.9 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 126.73 Kb