Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

steptoe
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:17 - 07 Dec 2005    Post subject: . Reply with quote

...
____________________
Some people have no visual perception of the things that can be, they'd rather just cope with what they see and are comfortable with than step out of the box.

https://www.rleecustoms.co.uk


Last edited by steptoe on 13:39 - 07 Dec 2005; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser



Joined: 20 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:27 - 07 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you have run a forum yourself and yet not know how to post in the right section Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:49 - 07 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont think hes the first person to post about something he wants to sell in 'general' because more ppl will look at it.
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile



Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:59 - 07 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, how can you shut a forum down, that mean you dont have many users, if i was to sell a forum (not that i would ever make one because that stuff cofurses me and this one is good) i would open it up for users to buy, you tried that?
____________________
99 RS125 --> 02 SV650s --> 03 Speed Four --> 92 RXS100 --> 93 CB400sf --> 01 CB600f Hornet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

steptoe
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:25 - 07 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you sit there and slag off something that you know nothing about???

Bikersdomain has been built from the ground up and has almost 200 members with more joining all of the time, there is potential for this to grow. The .com name has been valued at $500 but there is no website invloved.

The only reason I am selling up is that I just have the time, some of us have lives you know... There are some bikers out there that spend all of their time on bikes and there are other that just spend all of their time on forums slagging off the efforts of others.

The reason it was posted here was because I couldn't find anywhere else to post it and not that I wanted to gain more attention by placing it in the most used place on the forum.
____________________
Some people have no visual perception of the things that can be, they'd rather just cope with what they see and are comfortable with than step out of the box.

https://www.rleecustoms.co.uk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Suzuki
Roger



Joined: 03 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:17 - 07 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fail to see how that site is worth £500.

Like Luke, even if I saw that domain available for £5 I wouldn't buy it. I certainly wouldn't buy it for £500 with only 200 users on a forum with so few posts.

There are members of BCF who have posted more posts on their own than the whole of your forum put together!

Also, if I were to buy it, I wouldn't want any of the hosting that you mention, since I have my own server. So you'd have to make me an offer for just the domain, and the vBulletin licence.

Thumbs Up

EDIT - over 1000 posts on the forum are in a thread titled "THE STUPIDEST THREAD..whoever post last is the best."
There are only 10000 posts on the forum in total. That's 10% of your forum in that one thread! Confused

Nobody's going to buy that crappy site for £500 mate.
____________________
<Simple> no I'm shaven Jon Razz
<Simple> it is a big enough hole.. I'll leave it now
Ride: 1999 Suzuki GSXR600 (yellow/black) IRC: Stats - Relationship Map
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

steptoe
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:23 - 07 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki wrote:

Like Luke, even if I saw that domain available for £5 I wouldn't buy it. I certainly wouldn't buy it for £500 with only 200 users on a forum with so few posts.


Some people have no visual perception of the things that can be, they'd rather just cope with what they see and are comfortable with than step out of the box.
____________________
Some people have no visual perception of the things that can be, they'd rather just cope with what they see and are comfortable with than step out of the box.

https://www.rleecustoms.co.uk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Suzuki
Roger



Joined: 03 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:26 - 07 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

steptoe wrote:
Some people have no visual perception of the things that can be, they'd rather just cope with what they see and are comfortable with than step out of the box.


I'm perfectly capable of visualising the potential of something. However, I fail to see how the potential of your site for £500 is any better than the potential of a new site costing me £5.

Sorry, but I just don't think your site is worth anything at all.
____________________
<Simple> no I'm shaven Jon Razz
<Simple> it is a big enough hole.. I'll leave it now
Ride: 1999 Suzuki GSXR600 (yellow/black) IRC: Stats - Relationship Map
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
imho This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Suzuki
Roger



Joined: 03 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:37 - 07 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, your site is only just over a year old, with it being registerd shortly after you joined BCF...

Quote:
[Querying whois.nic.uk]
[whois.nic.uk]

Domain Name:
bikersdomain.co.uk

Registrant:
Roger Lee

Registrant's Address:
227 Kitts Green Road
Lea Village
Birmingham
West Midlands
B33 9SA
GB

Registrant's Agent:
PIPEX Communications Hosting Ltd [Tag = 123-REG]

Relevant Dates:
Registered on: 26-Jun-2004
Renewal Date: 26-Jun-2006
Last updated: 12-Apr-2005

Registration Status:
Registered until renewal date.

Name servers listed in order:
ns.hosteurope.com 212.67.202.2
ns2.hosteurope.com 212.67.203.246

WHOIS database last updated at 10:30:01 07-Dec-2005

--
(c) Nominet UK 1996 - 2005

For further information and terms of use please see https://www.nic.uk/whois
Nominet reserves the right to withhold access to this service at any time.


Something else that is interesting, is that most of the threads on your forum are identical to threads on BCF. Including the STUPID THREAD Rolling Eyes

How's about this for a theory... you bought the domain, stuck a forum on it, and between you and your mates posted a few threads.
Now you think you'll try selling it for a quick profit...because it's such a well used forum and has the potential for something, but you just don't have the time to do it yourself. Rolling Eyes

Now, maybe if you had 5000 regular users, with over 500,000 genuine posts, with companies paying for advertising space on your site, and something else on the main website than just a "buy me" message, your site would be worth something.

In it's current state, it's worthless, and anybody with a brain will see that. It has no more potential than a brand new unused domain name.
____________________
<Simple> no I'm shaven Jon Razz
<Simple> it is a big enough hole.. I'll leave it now
Ride: 1999 Suzuki GSXR600 (yellow/black) IRC: Stats - Relationship Map
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
imho This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:49 - 07 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a bit more complicated than that Jon, but you're not far off the mark!

Steptoe I thought you'd sold out to Jonny last year? At least, that was what you said at the time........

Then again, you talk a lot of bollocks don't you? Guess I should expect that from you by now.
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dom
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:52 - 07 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that the VB license and forum posts are probably the most (only?) valuable aspects of the site, it is somewhat concerning that 'There seems to have been a slight problem with the database.' appears a good 70% of the times I've tried to load a page.

If you want to sell it the first thing you need to do is fix the database problems.

Also that frontpage "!!Bikers Domain is up for sale!!" is horrible and completely devalues the site. Anyone vaguely interested in developing the site will be well aware that that is going to result in most of the genuine posters who see that thinking "oh well sod that" and going elsewhere.

Babyyam, what's the background on the site if you don't mind? Smile
____________________
Photos and that
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
imho This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Suzuki
Roger



Joined: 03 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:56 - 07 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, come on babyyam, spill the beans! Laughing
____________________
<Simple> no I'm shaven Jon Razz
<Simple> it is a big enough hole.. I'll leave it now
Ride: 1999 Suzuki GSXR600 (yellow/black) IRC: Stats - Relationship Map
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RobB
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 29 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:56 - 07 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steptoe wrote:
How can you sit there and slag off something that you know nothing about???


It's the internet mate. And a forum at that. I'm guessing no-one does this on your forum? What an amazing place that must be, I can see why it's worth so much now.

Steptoe wrote:
Some people have no visual perception of the things that can be, they'd rather just cope with what they see and are comfortable with than step out of the box.


Whereas others just want to sell stuff for cash.
____________________
- Yeah, you know the type, loud as a motorbike, wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight.
- The only thing I learned from love, was how to shoot somebody who outdrew you.
- If I don't meet you no more in this world, I'll meet you in the next one, don't be late.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Suzuki
Roger



Joined: 03 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:03 - 07 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if steptoe is too embarrassed to come back now. Laughing
____________________
<Simple> no I'm shaven Jon Razz
<Simple> it is a big enough hole.. I'll leave it now
Ride: 1999 Suzuki GSXR600 (yellow/black) IRC: Stats - Relationship Map
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dom
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:17 - 07 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know the politics but see this post and then this forum.

Is the site actually getting any traffic currently? Do you have any stats programs for it online?
____________________
Photos and that
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Suzuki
Roger



Joined: 03 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:19 - 07 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dom wrote:


Sadly not...
Quote:
There seems to have been a slight problem with the database.
Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

____________________
<Simple> no I'm shaven Jon Razz
<Simple> it is a big enough hole.. I'll leave it now
Ride: 1999 Suzuki GSXR600 (yellow/black) IRC: Stats - Relationship Map
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dom
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:22 - 07 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
____________________
Photos and that
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:39 - 07 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Ok!

It’s a bit convoluted, so bear with me……

There is an online bike magazine/website called Bikersweb (www.bikersweb.co.uk) that has been going for a few years. It was very well respected in bike circles as it had daily news updates, events listing, classifieds, produced photos & videos, had an on-line shop & stalls at most major rallies and events and had a reasonably busy forum that had also become somewhat of a community like this one, with people meeting up on a regular basis. It was owned by a partnership of two people, generated a fair bit of advertising revenue and made a reasonable living for the people involved.

Steptoe joined the forum and lets just say did not make himself particularly well-liked.

Right, this is where it gets complicated. The owners of Bikersweb fell out. I’m not going to go into detail but lets just say things got messy for them on a personal level with court cases, jail, and sabotage of the website all involved at various stages. The website and particularly the forum became very unstable, often disappearing off the ‘net for days or even weeks at a time. Several forum members saw this happening and, not wishing to lose touch with their mates and seeing the traffic & potential advertising revenue, set up alternative domains with forums so that people could stay in touch.

One of these was bikersdomain, but it was set up fairly quietly with just a few of Steptoes mates at first – like I said he wasn’t particularly well liked on the other forums. I think he probably did intend to develop it at some point into a full-blown website, but never got round to it. Last year, during one of the times when bikersweb was offline again, a number of people signed up there in a very short space of time and there was a brief flurry of activity. However, there was also a great deal of editing, removing of posts and threats of banning which didn’t go down too well with the “customers” Bikers are notoriously touchy about freedom, including freedom of speech, and the ones on this site weren’t impressed with the way it was run and said so. So, Steptoe threw a hissy fit and said he couldn’t be bothered any more, he was bailing out, and Jonny (jonnyfp on this forum and others) now owned bikersdomain. This was confirmed by Jonny.

Steptoe still turns up on other forums occasionally, and has not really mentioned bikersdomain anywhere that I’ve come across him since then.

Although I’m puzzled that the business/forum was essentially sold to Jonny (although obviously not the domain name) to be honest I really don’t give a toss. I never went on there much anyway because of Steptoe’s involvement.

Ask him about the club, if you want a laugh!
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
imho This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Suzuki
Roger



Joined: 03 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:46 - 07 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steptoe isn't very friendly is he.

He PM'd me demanding I edit the public information I retrieved from the WHOIS database. He didn't even say please.

He's now edited the WHOIS data such that his address isn't shown, and demanded again that I edit my post.

Soon as he asks me nicely, and says "please" I'll do it. Smile
____________________
<Simple> no I'm shaven Jon Razz
<Simple> it is a big enough hole.. I'll leave it now
Ride: 1999 Suzuki GSXR600 (yellow/black) IRC: Stats - Relationship Map
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NickD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:46 - 07 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyyam wrote:

Ask him about the club, if you want a laugh!


The Daily Mail Riders Club? Very Happy
____________________
I was only doing what it said on my licence officer....
Tear along the dotted line!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:58 - 07 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick, he is involved in the infamous TenSixtySix MCC - remember them? Laughing
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 303 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.14 Sec - Server Load: 0.98 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 139.88 Kb