|
|
| Author |
Message |
| BenBray |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 BenBray Spanner Monkey

Joined: 05 Aug 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 02:51 - 15 Jan 2006 Post subject: Is it me, or... |
 |
|
Do car drivers really enjoy harsh braking? They'll speed up to a junction that they KNOW they're going to stop at, and not consider letting off the accelerator - let alone press that shiny brake pedal. They just pelt up, and then slam the brakes on. I fail to see what this achieves, apart from more brake wear and higher stress levels.
Being a learner on a pretty slow bike, I can understand a certain amount of hostility being thrown my way from a few drivers - but almost everyone is intent on wearing their brakes out!
Earlier on I rolled up to a set of traffic lights that had been red for a while. I slowed down - thinking "nah, they'll change, I'll just slowly crawl up instead of planning to come to a stop and wait a while". I check my mirrors and this guy is right up my arse. He pips his horn, swerves into the other lane, hammers it to the car ahead and then slams his brakes on. Meanwhile, just as the lights change I'm slipping the clutch a little to get moving again.
I just cant understand why people feel the need to do this. It almost makes *me* feel like I'm the weirdo for not driving like a loon. Is that I'm *too* relaxed and laid back about slowing down to stop at a red light etc, or has anyone else been alarmed at this? Do a lot of you other bikers find yourself taking things slow and steady, while remaining in full control, rather than hairing along and then braking harshly to stop?
 ____________________ Current Bike: nc30 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mchaggis |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mchaggis World Chat Champion

Joined: 10 May 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 02:59 - 15 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
It depends what kind of a mood I'm in, and what the surface is doing. In the winter time, jabbing brakes on can make you eat tarmac quite easily, or certainly end up surfing on a fishtailing rear.
Now that I've calmed down a bit (and also because I ride a bike which hardly actually warrants heavy braking) I just tend to pootle up without using the brakes other than to stop. You have to strike a balance though if you're running the risk of upsetting anyone else by crawling along unnecessarily.
Braking harshly approaching obstacles light speed humps and traffic lights has seen me lose badly control before on slippery surfaces. Stepping on the rear and not being sure whether I'd just continue sliding past the stop line was interesting. Fun it was not. ____________________ I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| NC30UK |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 NC30UK Scooby Slapper
Joined: 30 Nov 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 03:04 - 15 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I used to do it all the while, nailing it up to a round about at 120mph then bringing it to a hald as hard as it would go, normally resulting in bottomed out front suspension and rear wheel air action towards the end
These day's i've grown bored of it, but its a skill that has saved my neck a fair few times knowing just how hard i can brake without binning it.
Last time i had to do it i even managed to lock the front for about 10 meters, kept it upright, then went around  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rookie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rookie World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Feb 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 03:10 - 15 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
On many counts I expect it's down to poor observation. Riding a bike, you've got to observe if you don't want to end up a red smear, but in a car it's less necessary to your life, as such. Because of this, drivers often just focus on the space immediately around them and don't bother looking ahead much. I've only been driving on my own for 5 days now, but I've noticed it quite a lot.
If I'm behind a few other cars I'll be observing constantly, and I'll see the brake lights on the car 2 cars in front of me go on. As such I'll have my foot off the accelerator and I'll be starting to depress the brake. But I've seen the cars in front of me jamming on the brakes at the last second! I put it down to observation, I don't find anything pleasant about stopping a car that quickly, not to mention the risks.
Of course it happens less and less on bikes; if you're going to do that every time you approach a stop, you're going to come off at some point. It's an expensive habit on a bike, I bet. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Jamie. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Jamie. World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Dec 2005 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Marcg868 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Marcg868 World Chat Champion
Joined: 20 Jan 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MattyB |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MattyB Borekit Bruiser
Joined: 05 Jan 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Stevie GooGs |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Stevie GooGs World Chat Champion

Joined: 28 Oct 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 10:59 - 15 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I find it works both ways, a lot of drivers move up the way when they see me flashing as i filter (like to tap the pass light as i filter when its dark ish). But i have alos had people meaningly move to block me, if it is stand still traffic and you get by the tossser and know one is behind you, stop at the window and do a burn out right in his open window normally pisses them off. ____________________ Current: 2019 Yamaha T7 -> 2015 KTM Superduke R | 2000 Yamaha R1 Past -> 2009 KTM 990 SM -> 2005 kawasaki ZX10r -> 2000 Honda CBR 600 FY -> 2002 Honda XLV 125 Varadero
Bike Pics! -> My Photography Website |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| karen_moomin |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 karen_moomin World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Apr 2004 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| bazza |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 bazza World Chat Champion
Joined: 27 Aug 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| NSR Mick |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 NSR Mick World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 Jun 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Robby |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Robby Dirty Old Man

Joined: 16 May 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Jack_Cheese |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Jack_Cheese World Chat Champion

Joined: 14 Jul 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 15:47 - 15 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
| bazza wrote: | It's occurred to me that very few drivers take any pride in their driving skills. Look at this place in comparison - full of people asking for tips on improving their riding, recounting tales of what happens when things go wrong and generally looking to improve their knowledge of all things bike related.
Car drivers, on the other hand, pass their test and that's the last training they'll ever have. So if you're a crap driver who only just scraped a pass on your test, 10 years later you're still going to be a crap driver but with a bigger car, 4x4, white van etc. |
The main difference between bike riders and car drivers is that people drive to commute in a safe, warm, dry environment where they can listen to music, do their makeup etc. We choose to ride bikes because we enjoy riding them. If the car driver is as enthusiastic as we are, they will probably be on a driving forum talking about the same things. I'm not disagreeing with you, just saying that we ride more for fun than practicality (excluding fthe advantage of filtering etc...), so we have more of a tendancy to want to ride better. Plus theres the kudos of getting your knee down
Jack ____________________ www.bikepics.com/members/jackcheese <--- NOW FOR SALE! 51 Plate Cagiva Planet 125
Quacker_boy: "Jack, you really are a dick!" |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Itchy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Itchy Super Spammer

Joined: 07 Apr 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Itchy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Itchy Super Spammer

Joined: 07 Apr 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| extreme3d |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 extreme3d World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Dec 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mrchips |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mrchips World Chat Champion
Joined: 05 Mar 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 15:58 - 15 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
In bike or car sometimes I will be giving plenty of time and other times I'll just feel the need to immitate Nigel Mansell. ____________________ Northern Irish? www.nibikers.com |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Itchy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Itchy Super Spammer

Joined: 07 Apr 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| doggone |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 doggone World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 May 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 19:25 - 15 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
On a bike it's more annoying to come to a complete stop because you have to put your foot down.
I do find on the bike I tend to slow down earlier if there's a set of lights or roundabout in the hope I'll be able to just keep slowly moving forward.
If everyone did this traffic would likely move more smoothly, although it's possible the network capacity would be less.
If you're trying to get onto a main road it can be annoying if everone seems to be cruising leaving gaps you can't get out into.
You wish they would 'drive badly' and bunch up more!
This is noticeable in fine weather here when max number of holiday makers are about, driving while sightseeing...  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| SoND |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 SoND World Chat Champion

Joined: 10 Jul 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 19:43 - 15 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
During the winter I've been pretty easy on my brakes, too easy to bin it.
I've got my test soon aswell and was wondering do they go easier on you with the emergency braking if it's really cold? ____________________ Go back to bed - You have no rights - "Streetfighters ~ Mainstream motorcycling's crackwhore sister." |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ISLAND GIRL |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ISLAND GIRL World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Oct 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 20 years, 272 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|