|
|
| Author |
Message |
| veeeffarr |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 veeeffarr Super Spammer
Joined: 22 Jul 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mr.z |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mr.z World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Feb 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:38 - 16 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I would strongly suggest doing the full time, you might pass first time no problem, you might need to redo your test.. Thing is you'll have to use their bike to do the test, so if you do fail you'll have to pay to use their bike again and again...
As for pushing the bike arorund, they aren't much more difficult, they are far easyer to ride than a cg, much more planted, manouvering them you just need to practice, which is what takes the time, 2hours is bugger all... we spent from 8am till 5 and stopped for half an hour for lunch, the rest of the time we were on the bikes... this for 3days..
As for keeping the power down, the engine will give out such a belt you'll know when your going fast! try and keep the speedo just over the limmit (i.e. 41/42 in 40limmits) the examiner will want to see you make good progress, if your doing 38/39 in 40limmits then they will get the feeling your holding back, you might not fail for it but the overall impression they get wont be so good, so they may mark you down elsewhere..
Hope thats helpfull ____________________ >RidingSkills<->Tech Tips<->MyBikes< |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| veeeffarr |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 veeeffarr Super Spammer
Joined: 22 Jul 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mr.z |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mr.z World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Feb 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 14:07 - 16 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Restrictors fall out very easyly too.. you can get a 400/600 and get them dynoed to prove they are restricted (even if they aren't), just make sure the dyno operator dosn't let it go over 33bhp..
It would be worth doing at least a bit of training on your 125, do a day on it, you'll be supprised how much isn't taught on the cbt  ____________________ >RidingSkills<->Tech Tips<->MyBikes< |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mchaggis |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mchaggis World Chat Champion

Joined: 10 May 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 14:14 - 16 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
The first couple of 2 hr lessons I had on a Fazer 600, I was completely useless. After that I started to improve, but there was no way I could ride a large machine well enough after 4 hours to pass my test, despite having ridden my 125 for 12 months prior.
I'd sit the test on your CG if there's any doubt. Not being ready for U-turns on a large machine cost me the thick end of £100.  ____________________ I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mr.z |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mr.z World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Feb 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 14:18 - 16 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Indeed, we spent well over 3hours JUST doing manouvers and it still very nearly fudged the u-turn ____________________ >RidingSkills<->Tech Tips<->MyBikes< |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| fuzz |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 fuzz World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Mar 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 14:22 - 16 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Toby R wrote: | Hi,
Thanks!
After doing 4000 miles on my 125, I think I'm going to take it with that and do 33BHP, can always do accelerated access if I get bored.
Thanks,
Toby |
You'll still need to pay for lessons to get you to test standard and get rid of all those bad habits
I don't think you will have too much trouble on the bigger bike. If you're concerned about saving money, taking a 33bhp test and then another for accelerated access doesn't make sense to me. True you can save on bike hire, and maybe one lesson getting used to the bigger bike, but you'll still be taught exactly the same thing during the lessons.
I think the slow control exercises are easier on the bigger bike - just get good with the clutch and you wont have any problems stalling or wheelieing.
I trained for mine over a month by taking half day lessons. I had four of these plus 1 hour before the test and I passed first time. Cost was £75 per half day. ____________________ https://www.bikepics.com/members/fuzzbcf/
Bikes: '99 NSR125R, '00 SV650S, K1 GSX-R600, '97 CB500, K3 SV1000S, '16 VFR800 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| RobB |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 RobB Spanner Monkey

Joined: 29 Apr 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 14:46 - 16 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I passed my test via DAS about 5 years ago now.
From the step up from 125 to 500, the hardest part for me was the U-turn. It wasn't until the final day of my DAS that I got even remotely confident at doing them. The weight difference, you won't notice when riding, and wheeling it around is a slower affair rather than being much tougher. The one thing I remember about the jump to the 500 was how much safer, and in control I felt. The power is reassuring.
Speeding. The only minor fault I got on my test was for speeding. I slowed down going past a school thinking that it's rare for schools to be in a 40. He asked me about it at the end, and I got a minor for it. It's not as easy as you think. You'll notice the difference, and to start with 30 will seem "quicker" anyway.
Road experience is invaluable, so I'm figuring you'll be ok in that respect. The big question to me is whether you'll master U-turns in 4 hours on a big bike. Can you do them on a sixpence, every single time on your 125?
I would doubt that you'd need the full DAS training. Can you book one day, or even have 3/4 2 hour sessions split over a couple of weeks in advance, maybe with a four hour session before the test? ____________________ - Yeah, you know the type, loud as a motorbike, wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight.
- The only thing I learned from love, was how to shoot somebody who outdrew you.
- If I don't meet you no more in this world, I'll meet you in the next one, don't be late. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| jok |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 jok Scooby Slapper

Joined: 06 Dec 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 14:47 - 16 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MikeyC |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MikeyC World Chat Champion

Joined: 17 Aug 2002 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 14:51 - 16 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Wouldnt worry too much in terms of the weight of the bike, i'm 5'10 and 10 stone, had no problems with it! My biggest thing was handling and slow speed control, once you get the hang of that though, you got no problems  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MikeH |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MikeH Brolly Dolly

Joined: 10 Dec 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 18:39 - 16 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I've just done 2 days on a 500 after being away from bikes for 15yrs, the last bike I had was a CB125 Twin. I jumped on the ER500 and TBH didn't have a problem at all, felt at home within a few miles and cracked the U turn more or less straight off. Don't worry about the size of the bike it really makes no odds, if you can ride you can ride, it's all in the mind
If it were me though I'd book a full day at the very least and see how you get on, you will have picked up loads of bad habits.
An hour here and there is no use as by the time you've settled into it the training will be over I think it'd be a false economy in the long run.
Do it right and you'll (hopefully he says !) only do it once  ____________________ Busa Junkie |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dazbo666 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dazbo666 World Chat Champion

Joined: 06 Jun 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 19:37 - 16 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Did my DAS last year and passed 1st time.
Been driving for years, but bearing in mind that the morning of my CBT was the 1st time I'd ever sat on a bike I was just a little nervous.
CBT and one lesson on the Honda CG125, and my instructor tried me out on the Suzuki GS500... and after another two lessons later, I found myself on my test preparation lesson (on the morning of the DAS test)
Wheeling the bike around isn't a problem as long as you "feel" the balance point, but keep your eyes looking ahead.
The power and speed will be noticeable, so I'm sure you won't be able to overlook that.
The U turn was the main problem I was concerned about, and the few times that I did it consistently were on the preparation lesson and on the actual test  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| biketeacherda... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 biketeacherda... Nova Slayer
Joined: 04 Mar 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 19:59 - 16 Jan 2006 Post subject: well |
 |
|
Well todays fella has been riding round on 125 for a while he has booked x2 days each 4 hours long, by the end of today he could U TURN THE 500 ON A SIXPENCE AND E BRAKE IN THE POORING RAIN WITH NO PROBLEMS, WE EVEN DID SOME 70MPH OVER TAKING ON THE A20 FOR GOOD MEASURE.
Its up to you, what do you rearly want to do ?
Tomorrow i will be putting him threw some practise tests, test on thursday so far i dont see any problems with is riding ____________________ www.dgridertraining.co.uk |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| veeeffarr |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 veeeffarr Super Spammer
Joined: 22 Jul 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| biketeacherda... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 biketeacherda... Nova Slayer
Joined: 04 Mar 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 20:04 - 16 Jan 2006 Post subject: who said its 400 quid |
 |
|
Well you should have shopped round, x2 days training @ 4 hours per day plus test on day 3 = £255 ____________________ www.dgridertraining.co.uk |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 20 years, 263 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|