Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Transition from 125cc to a Training Bike (500cc)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:13 - 16 Jan 2006    Post subject: Transition from 125cc to a Training Bike (500cc) Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Basically, I want to do my DAS but don't have the advantage of being able to stump up 400 odd quid, so I'm thinking of doing a 2 hour lesson on a bigger bike, and another 2 hours on the test day.

Is this a good idea? The thing I am worrying about is the difference in weight.

I'm about 6' 1", and of average strength/fitness, but I'm worried about wheeling the bike around, and doing uturns/pulling off with it.

I also feel that on my test I am going to have to consciously try and keep my speed down (Due to the bike being much more powerful).

Anyone done 4 hours on a bigger bike from a 125 before and passed? Any advice?

Cheers,

Toby R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:38 - 16 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would strongly suggest doing the full time, you might pass first time no problem, you might need to redo your test.. Thing is you'll have to use their bike to do the test, so if you do fail you'll have to pay to use their bike again and again...

As for pushing the bike arorund, they aren't much more difficult, they are far easyer to ride than a cg, much more planted, manouvering them you just need to practice, which is what takes the time, 2hours is bugger all... we spent from 8am till 5 and stopped for half an hour for lunch, the rest of the time we were on the bikes... this for 3days..

As for keeping the power down, the engine will give out such a belt you'll know when your going fast! try and keep the speedo just over the limmit (i.e. 41/42 in 40limmits) the examiner will want to see you make good progress, if your doing 38/39 in 40limmits then they will get the feeling your holding back, you might not fail for it but the overall impression they get wont be so good, so they may mark you down elsewhere..

Hope thats helpfull
____________________
>RidingSkills<->Tech Tips<->MyBikes<
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:51 - 16 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks!

After doing 4000 miles on my 125, I think I'm going to take it with that and do 33BHP, can always do accelerated access if I get bored.

Thanks,

Toby
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:07 - 16 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Restrictors fall out very easyly too.. you can get a 400/600 and get them dynoed to prove they are restricted (even if they aren't), just make sure the dyno operator dosn't let it go over 33bhp..

It would be worth doing at least a bit of training on your 125, do a day on it, you'll be supprised how much isn't taught on the cbt Shocked
____________________
>RidingSkills<->Tech Tips<->MyBikes<
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:14 - 16 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first couple of 2 hr lessons I had on a Fazer 600, I was completely useless. After that I started to improve, but there was no way I could ride a large machine well enough after 4 hours to pass my test, despite having ridden my 125 for 12 months prior.

I'd sit the test on your CG if there's any doubt. Not being ready for U-turns on a large machine cost me the thick end of £100. Rolling Eyes
____________________
I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:18 - 16 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, we spent well over 3hours JUST doing manouvers and it still very nearly fudged the u-turn
____________________
>RidingSkills<->Tech Tips<->MyBikes<
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

fuzz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:22 - 16 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
Hi,

Thanks!

After doing 4000 miles on my 125, I think I'm going to take it with that and do 33BHP, can always do accelerated access if I get bored.

Thanks,

Toby


You'll still need to pay for lessons to get you to test standard and get rid of all those bad habits Mr. Green

I don't think you will have too much trouble on the bigger bike. If you're concerned about saving money, taking a 33bhp test and then another for accelerated access doesn't make sense to me. True you can save on bike hire, and maybe one lesson getting used to the bigger bike, but you'll still be taught exactly the same thing during the lessons.

I think the slow control exercises are easier on the bigger bike - just get good with the clutch and you wont have any problems stalling or wheelieing.

I trained for mine over a month by taking half day lessons. I had four of these plus 1 hour before the test and I passed first time. Cost was £75 per half day.
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/fuzzbcf/
Bikes: '99 NSR125R, '00 SV650S, K1 GSX-R600, '97 CB500, K3 SV1000S, '16 VFR800
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

RobB
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 29 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:46 - 16 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed my test via DAS about 5 years ago now.

From the step up from 125 to 500, the hardest part for me was the U-turn. It wasn't until the final day of my DAS that I got even remotely confident at doing them. The weight difference, you won't notice when riding, and wheeling it around is a slower affair rather than being much tougher. The one thing I remember about the jump to the 500 was how much safer, and in control I felt. The power is reassuring.

Speeding. The only minor fault I got on my test was for speeding. I slowed down going past a school thinking that it's rare for schools to be in a 40. He asked me about it at the end, and I got a minor for it. It's not as easy as you think. You'll notice the difference, and to start with 30 will seem "quicker" anyway.

Road experience is invaluable, so I'm figuring you'll be ok in that respect. The big question to me is whether you'll master U-turns in 4 hours on a big bike. Can you do them on a sixpence, every single time on your 125?

I would doubt that you'd need the full DAS training. Can you book one day, or even have 3/4 2 hour sessions split over a couple of weeks in advance, maybe with a four hour session before the test?
____________________
- Yeah, you know the type, loud as a motorbike, wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight.
- The only thing I learned from love, was how to shoot somebody who outdrew you.
- If I don't meet you no more in this world, I'll meet you in the next one, don't be late.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jok
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 06 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:47 - 16 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

TopyR wrote:
I'm about 6' 1", and of average strength/fitness, but I'm worried about wheeling the bike around, and doing uturns/pulling off with it.

They balance very well, so wheeling them about and keeping them upright doesn't take much strength.

U-turns are a different matter, though: You have to lean to get them 'round (more than a 125) while keeping your speed down at the same time. It took me a few times to keep my foot of the ground (Embarassed) because I kept getting scared that it might fall over; strangely enough, actually dropping it once fixed that Smile. Good clutch control is also important: coasting 'round the U-turn doesn't work too well (and you're not supposed to, anyway).

No idea about passing, though. I'll let you know when I've passed myself Very Happy.
____________________
CG125 (stolen->recovered!) || Wars do not decide who's right, only who's left.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MikeyC
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:51 - 16 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldnt worry too much in terms of the weight of the bike, i'm 5'10 and 10 stone, had no problems with it! My biggest thing was handling and slow speed control, once you get the hang of that though, you got no problems Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MikeH
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 10 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:39 - 16 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just done 2 days on a 500 after being away from bikes for 15yrs, the last bike I had was a CB125 Twin. I jumped on the ER500 and TBH didn't have a problem at all, felt at home within a few miles and cracked the U turn more or less straight off. Don't worry about the size of the bike it really makes no odds, if you can ride you can ride, it's all in the mind Wink

If it were me though I'd book a full day at the very least and see how you get on, you will have picked up loads of bad habits.
An hour here and there is no use as by the time you've settled into it the training will be over I think it'd be a false economy in the long run.

Do it right and you'll (hopefully he says !) only do it once Wink
____________________
Busa Junkie
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:37 - 16 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did my DAS last year and passed 1st time.
Been driving for years, but bearing in mind that the morning of my CBT was the 1st time I'd ever sat on a bike Shocked I was just a little nervous. Sick

CBT and one lesson on the Honda CG125, and my instructor tried me out on the Suzuki GS500... and after another two lessons later, I found myself on my test preparation lesson (on the morning of the DAS test)

Wheeling the bike around isn't a problem as long as you "feel" the balance point, but keep your eyes looking ahead.
The power and speed will be noticeable, so I'm sure you won't be able to overlook that.
The U turn was the main problem I was concerned about, and the few times that I did it consistently were on the preparation lesson and on the actual test Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

biketeacherda...
Nova Slayer



Joined: 04 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:59 - 16 Jan 2006    Post subject: well Reply with quote

Well todays fella has been riding round on 125 for a while he has booked x2 days each 4 hours long, by the end of today he could U TURN THE 500 ON A SIXPENCE AND E BRAKE IN THE POORING RAIN WITH NO PROBLEMS, WE EVEN DID SOME 70MPH OVER TAKING ON THE A20 FOR GOOD MEASURE.

Its up to you, what do you rearly want to do ?

Tomorrow i will be putting him threw some practise tests, test on thursday so far i dont see any problems with is riding
____________________
www.dgridertraining.co.uk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:02 - 16 Jan 2006    Post subject: Re: well Reply with quote

biketeacherdave wrote:
Well todays fella has been riding round on 125 for a while he has booked x2 days each 4 hours long, by the end of today he could U TURN THE 500 ON A SIXPENCE AND E BRAKE IN THE POORING RAIN WITH NO PROBLEMS, WE EVEN DID SOME 70MPH OVER TAKING ON THE A20 FOR GOOD MEASURE.

Its up to you, what do you rearly want to do ?

Tomorrow i will be putting him threw some practise tests, test on thursday so far i dont see any problems with is riding


I really want to do DAS, but I can't afford the 400 quid.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

biketeacherda...
Nova Slayer



Joined: 04 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:04 - 16 Jan 2006    Post subject: who said its 400 quid Reply with quote

Well you should have shopped round, x2 days training @ 4 hours per day plus test on day 3 = £255
____________________
www.dgridertraining.co.uk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 262 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.51 Sec - Server Load: 1.29 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 91.64 Kb