Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


New R6 2006 model

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Mister James
I want to believe!



Joined: 10 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:50 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: New R6 2006 model Reply with quote

Popped into my local Yamaha dealer for a chat today, and they let me have a fiddle with one of these. I've seen the pictures of it and thought it looked ok, but in the flesh it is absolutely stunning!

It was the black 'stealth' colour scheme, and it looks fantastic, from the lines to the clocks to the quality of the finish. I'm too frakked up at the moment to take it for a test ride, but they let me sit on it and rev the engine up a bit - what an exhilarating sound!

For the first time, I'm considering getting a supersports 600 to run alongside a sensible commuter. It's not the long distance sports tourer I was contemplating, but I don't think I could ever get tired of it's looks, and it would look the mutt's standing outside a country pub in the summer.

Only real downsides could be it's physical size, and whether the steep increase in usable power from the Fazer would throw me for a while.

And, of course, I believe it costs around £7500!
____________________
>Soultrader Mister James, I bet you are a copper
>Bazza Wow. Eyes like a shithouse rat, you...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:57 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Re: New R6 2006 model Reply with quote

Not tempted by a slightly older GSXR or similar to do it all?

While I couldn't commute on the R6s I've ridden, I've got quite used to the slightly more hunched position and would probably prefer to have rear sets on my TRX I use for commuting!

Ok, may not be tarty, but would be pretty much as fun, if you care about that.
[edit]Just read you haven't actually ridden it yet, ah[/edit]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wave2k
G's Stalker



Joined: 06 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:09 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still rekon the gsxr k6 looks better, also thing to sit on, feels better.
but i cant say till i ride them.
____________________
Ducati 1299 Panigale
2009 Corvette C6 z51
RS125->CBR400->RXS100->GSXR750K2->Ducati749S->CBR600RR5->TL1000R->DRz400->RSVR1000->Honda VTR SP1->CBR400->GSXR1000K6->Honda H100->CBR600RR3->Ducati1299
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:10 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Re: New R6 2006 model Reply with quote

Mister James wrote:
Only real downsides could be it's physical size, and whether the steep increase in usable power from the Fazer would throw me for a while.


Suspect as long as you fit reasonably easy you would be fine after a short while. Jumping onto the 125s after riding the Bandit makes them feel about as wide as a bicycle but it soon wears off.

Also suspect that you might find there is a loss in "useable" power, just that the bike has a load more power which isn't quite so immediatly on tap.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Silver
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:19 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loses out to the GSXR K6 in my opinion, looks wise, by is still very nice...

...except for that fugly abomination of a numberplate hanger / light cluster on the backend. If ever any bike was crying out for a "tail tidy" of some description, that would be it!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wave2k
G's Stalker



Joined: 06 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:20 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki have priced this one just right,
even if the r6 has a tiny bit more bhp you would be a fool to pay the extra.
____________________
Ducati 1299 Panigale
2009 Corvette C6 z51
RS125->CBR400->RXS100->GSXR750K2->Ducati749S->CBR600RR5->TL1000R->DRz400->RSVR1000->Honda VTR SP1->CBR400->GSXR1000K6->Honda H100->CBR600RR3->Ducati1299
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Apr 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:24 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

and so the Gixxer clan gather . . . . Rolling Eyes Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Silver
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:25 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

dainesefreak wrote:
and so the Gixxer clan gather . . . . Rolling Eyes Wink


Ahhhh, just because no-one mentioned a CBR! Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Apr 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:29 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like the new R6, I liked the old one (05). It's head and shoulders over the CBR600F and nicer than the 600RR, IMO, of course. So I wouldn't try and bring him over to the dark side like some. Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

McGee
O RLY?



Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:17 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIXXER'S FOR THE WIN !!! Cool
____________________
◙◙► K6 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 1000 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► 96 RF600r ◄◙◙
◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►
Its pronounced Jixxer!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Absolute_Kwackers
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 08 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:31 - 20 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

R6 is gorgeous so nice to see them not following other manufactors, i.e. underseat exhaust!

i love it, tail tidy definately needed, but is stunning!

Gixxers are nice but they always seemed to win due to the power etc, but now the yams got the power and the looks!

Be interesting to see all the reports when they do all the tests against each etc!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jrod
Page 3 Girl



Joined: 02 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:21 - 20 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at pictures I quite like the look of the r6, I then went to see it at the showroom and quickly changed my mind, not my cup of tea.

zx6r imo. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mister James
I want to believe!



Joined: 10 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:20 - 20 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen the gixxer in the flesh (so to speak) yet, but my first thoughts on looking at it are that I'm not too keen on the cut-aways in the fairing. Could be that, like the R6, the pictures don't do it justice.

Siggi wrote:

I've sat on one and was quite impressed at the physical size (fitted my 6' 5" quite nicely), not to mention the look of it. The very end of the tail unit is a bit too minimalistic for my taste though, and that entire number-plate/indicator hanger would have to go


Well that's interesting, at 6'1 I'm a good few inches shorter - I think my problem is probably that after a scooter and the Fazer, I'm used to more upright positions, so the very low screen at the front looks a little daunting. The seat etc. looked fine for my size, so I guess it's just the front end and bars giving me the willies.

When I'm fully recovered I'll see about getting a test ride - probably in a different shop now that they've seen what I did to my last Yamaha!
____________________
>Soultrader Mister James, I bet you are a copper
>Bazza Wow. Eyes like a shithouse rat, you...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 269 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.55 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 80.91 Kb