|
|
| Author |
Message |
| MikeH |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MikeH Brolly Dolly

Joined: 10 Dec 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 23:11 - 19 Jan 2006 Post subject: 1st day on the road proper and everyones out to get me !!! |
 |
|
Other than a blatt round yesterday afternoon after passing my test, today has been my first "proper" day of freedom. But damn me some folk are half soaked. On my way to work, 20 mile trip, not 1, not 2, but three cars pulled out on me even though I had the headlight on and it was quite a light morning. Luckily I've been there before when I T-boned a Nissan Cherry on a m8's DT80 when I was about 18 so I'm weary of junctions and the twats that inhabit them, but it really does amaze me how folk can be so friggin useless,Inever had this problem when I was buzzin' along in the Landrover they all wait .......I wonder why ??
Anyway, lunchtime some dozey pratt nearly reversed into me out of his drive while I was waiting at some lights, if I hadn't leant on the horn he'd have had me over as I had no where to go other than up some poor chaps boot lid Trials stylee Gave him the finger and let him know what I thought.
At this rate I'm not gonna see next week, let alone my next birthday !
 ____________________ Busa Junkie |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TL666 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TL666 Trackday Trickster

Joined: 23 Mar 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 23:22 - 19 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Welcome to motorcycling  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| GearboxGeezer |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 GearboxGeezer World Chat Champion
Joined: 06 Sep 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 23:26 - 19 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
So, your first taste of biking! Sounds normal to me, Hence why this forum is always full of storys about how car drivers are idiots, how car drivers dont deserve to be on the road, how car driv....... you get it?
Seriously lough, its not always that bad, The mournings do seem a lil worse since people are half asleep and all that.. Perhaps you could do with riding more "denfenceivly" ( ok i cant spell, and I dont care ) basicly by showing yourself more to cars, So if you see a car on the left at a T junction, ride more to the left side of the road ( if theres a car infront of u which is blocking u from the car pulling out ) and stuff like that, it does seem to help, for me anyway as I have less scarey moments now... Still shit my self at least 7 times in one bike journey lough
Hope you enjoyed it, May I surgest going out for a ride on country lanes and shit, dont just use ur bike for work couse thats when u start getting pissed off with it  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ..... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ..... Quote Me Happy
Joined: 15 Jan 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MikeH |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MikeH Brolly Dolly

Joined: 10 Dec 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 23:36 - 19 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ISLAND GIRL |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ISLAND GIRL World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Oct 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 06:41 - 20 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I know just what you mean here, passed my test two wks ago now and I am more cautious than ever as I really do believe that cagers drive around with a blind fold on. I have had several cagers pull out in front of me and I approach each juntion, bend etc ready to break if need to as they seem to be so unpredictable.
Read in this wks MCN that on the 30th this month a new tv and radio advertisment is to be shown aimed at cagers to be more aware of motorcyclist as they simply are not taking enough care or looking out for us
As a cager myself too, drive every day for work purposes since I have been riding I have become a lot more aware of other road users, learning to ride has certainly made me a better driver and I have been driving for 18yrs! ____________________ Live on the Isle of Wight and ride a CBR600F |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| R4nger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 R4nger World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 Jan 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Suzuki |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Suzuki Roger

Joined: 03 May 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ISLAND GIRL |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ISLAND GIRL World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Oct 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 09:59 - 20 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Did you have your headlamp on dipped / fullbeam rather than sidelights, if it was light?
This can actually make it harder to judge distance, because they just see a bright point of light, rather than a motorcycle getting closer.
Where possible I use sidelights.
Also, it may look nerdish, but I've taken to wearing a reflective yellow bib for my 50 miles a day on the m4. Does seem to have helped a bit. (and sadly there's nothing very 'nerdish' about the way I ride ) |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| syl |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 syl World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 Dec 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 11:39 - 20 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
They got me before I'd even passed my test, on my first day out alone on a bike (125cc loaned by the school). Someone rammed me from behind whilst I was sitting at a junction pushing me forwards onto a roundabout - fortunately it was going very slowly and there was no damage to me other than to my nerves (and no damage worth bothering with on the bike, just a small dent in the mudgard which complements all the others you expect to find on a learner machine).
Anyway, it's not paranoia. They really are all out to get you. ____________________ Current bike: Kawasaki Z750S |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 13:12 - 20 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
| G wrote: |
I always used to think this.
Then I found the same things happened when I was driving a scraped and scratched barge of a £115 passat estate.
Seems people are just crap generally  . |
In a £115 car that's built like a tank, it would be all too tempting to NOT brake for them. Just take the nose clean off their car when they stick it out into the carriageway in front of you.
Could be a new sport of "Audi spinning", the person to get the highest number of degrees of rotation wins. Anyone exceeding 360 degrees gets a free t-shirt. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| impaler |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 impaler Crazy Courier

Joined: 04 Sep 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MikeH |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MikeH Brolly Dolly

Joined: 10 Dec 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 22:57 - 20 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Had a much better day today had to go out to a site so put about 70 miles on the clock.
I think it's just a case of being a bit more assertive while at the same time staying on the ball, did a bit of filtering in the traffic and riding a bit further towards the centre of the road seems to have helped with stopping plonkers pulling out on me. I still need to master crosswinds and overtaking trucks without getting blown about but I'm getting there slowly.
My cornering has improved and generally I'm starting to get to know the bike a bit better which helps with confidence levels, give it another week I'll have my knee down if thats possible on a KLE
G, I ride everywhere with dip beam always have even as a yoof on peds, my side light is pants, don't even know why Kawasaki bothered fitting one
Cheers for the tips folks  ____________________ Busa Junkie |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MikeH |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MikeH Brolly Dolly

Joined: 10 Dec 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 23:31 - 20 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Sorry, meant to say semi-trail tyres. They were road biased, but still ok for gentle off road stuff (well and more, but not designed for a mx track ).
Some new bikes don't, which has been a matter of issue.
I believe TC has mentioned that if you crash into someone in such a case and your bike /does/ have a switch, then their lawyrs could use it against you. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MikeH |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MikeH Brolly Dolly

Joined: 10 Dec 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 00:01 - 21 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I'm not a legal professional, so not the one to argue with .
TC is/was a pretty serious legal professional in the motorbiking field.
Basically though, if you are actively making it harder for people to judge your position, it's not going to look so good. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MikeH |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MikeH Brolly Dolly

Joined: 10 Dec 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 00:10 - 21 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
No arguments with you G, just discussing the point
It's typical of our bloody twisted legal system
Mike  ____________________ Busa Junkie |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 20 years, 262 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|