Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


1st day on the road proper and everyones out to get me !!!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

MikeH
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 10 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:11 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: 1st day on the road proper and everyones out to get me !!! Reply with quote

Other than a blatt round yesterday afternoon after passing my test, today has been my first "proper" day of freedom. But damn me some folk are half soaked. On my way to work, 20 mile trip, not 1, not 2, but three cars pulled out on me even though I had the headlight on and it was quite a light morning. Luckily I've been there before when I T-boned a Nissan Cherry on a m8's DT80 when I was about 18 so I'm weary of junctions and the twats that inhabit them, but it really does amaze me how folk can be so friggin useless,Inever had this problem when I was buzzin' along in the Landrover they all wait .......I wonder why ??

Anyway, lunchtime some dozey pratt nearly reversed into me out of his drive while I was waiting at some lights, if I hadn't leant on the horn he'd have had me over as I had no where to go other than up some poor chaps boot lid Trials stylee Very Happy Gave him the finger and let him know what I thought.

At this rate I'm not gonna see next week, let alone my next birthday !
Shocked
____________________
Busa Junkie
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TL666
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 23 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:22 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to motorcycling Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

GearboxGeezer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:26 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, your first taste of biking! Sounds normal to me, Hence why this forum is always full of storys about how car drivers are idiots, how car drivers dont deserve to be on the road, how car driv....... you get it?

Seriously lough, its not always that bad, The mournings do seem a lil worse since people are half asleep and all that.. Perhaps you could do with riding more "denfenceivly" ( ok i cant spell, and I dont care ) basicly by showing yourself more to cars, So if you see a car on the left at a T junction, ride more to the left side of the road ( if theres a car infront of u which is blocking u from the car pulling out ) and stuff like that, it does seem to help, for me anyway as I have less scarey moments now... Still shit my self at least 7 times in one bike journey lough Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Hope you enjoyed it, May I surgest going out for a ride on country lanes and shit, dont just use ur bike for work couse thats when u start getting pissed off with it Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

.....
Quote Me Happy



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:32 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember to keep well on top with obsevation. Learn the tell tale signs that the drivers are going to pull out, all these types of incidents will happen less and less.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MikeH
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 10 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:36 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

GearboxGeezer wrote:
Perhaps you could do with riding more "denfenceivly" ( ok i cant spell, and I dont care ) basicly by showing yourself more to cars, So if you see a car on the left at a T junction, ride more to the left side of the road ( if theres a car infront of u which is blocking u from the car pulling out ) and stuff like that, it does seem to help, for me anyway as I have less scarey moments now... Still shit my self at least 7 times in one bike journey lough Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked


I do ride very defensively Wink always watching whats going on well ahead even in the car, something I learnt from driving fast cars, very fast much too often hence why I got the Landy to slow me down.

GearboxGeezer wrote:
Hope you enjoyed it, May I surgest going out for a ride on country lanes and shit, dont just use ur bike for work couse thats when u start getting pissed off with it Rolling Eyes
Smile

Don't worry the ride home is a good mix or Dual Carriageway, A, B and unclassified roads and driving a Landy I also know a lot of green lane routes within half an hour of home so I'll be out exploring at every opportunity especially given how little fuel this thing uses compared to the Landies dismal sub 20 MPG Shocked Besides if I get bored I'll just buy a faster one and get some trackdays booked Wink
____________________
Busa Junkie
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ISLAND GIRL
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:41 - 20 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know just what you mean here, passed my test two wks ago now and I am more cautious than ever as I really do believe that cagers drive around with a blind fold on. I have had several cagers pull out in front of me and I approach each juntion, bend etc ready to break if need to as they seem to be so unpredictable.
Read in this wks MCN that on the 30th this month a new tv and radio advertisment is to be shown aimed at cagers to be more aware of motorcyclist as they simply are not taking enough care or looking out for us Sad
As a cager myself too, drive every day for work purposes since I have been riding I have become a lot more aware of other road users, learning to ride has certainly made me a better driver and I have been driving for 18yrs!
____________________
Live on the Isle of Wight and ride a CBR600F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

R4nger
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:20 - 20 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you are nervous at junctions and such. This makes me think you slow down at junctions that some people think your letting them out. Just keep a constant speed.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Suzuki
Roger



Joined: 03 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:45 - 20 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

R4nger wrote:
It sounds like you are nervous at junctions and such. This makes me think you slow down at junctions that some people think your letting them out. Just keep a constant speed.

And wear a hawaiian shorts/shirt outfit when you ride your bike too! Wink
____________________
<Simple> no I'm shaven Jon Razz
<Simple> it is a big enough hole.. I'll leave it now
Ride: 1999 Suzuki GSXR600 (yellow/black) IRC: Stats - Relationship Map
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ISLAND GIRL
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:50 - 20 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

R4nger wrote:
It sounds like you are nervous at junctions and such. This makes me think you slow down at junctions that some people think your letting them out. Just keep a constant speed.


Not sure who you talking to but I do just as you say keep a constant speed, certainly dont slow down, but I am just ready for those that simply wont wait, they either think they can out run you or just simply too impatient to wait five seconds Rolling Eyes
____________________
Live on the Isle of Wight and ride a CBR600F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:59 - 20 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have your headlamp on dipped / fullbeam rather than sidelights, if it was light?

This can actually make it harder to judge distance, because they just see a bright point of light, rather than a motorcycle getting closer.

Where possible I use sidelights.

Also, it may look nerdish, but I've taken to wearing a reflective yellow bib for my 50 miles a day on the m4. Does seem to have helped a bit. (and sadly there's nothing very 'nerdish' about the way I ride Confused)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

syl
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:39 - 20 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

They got me before I'd even passed my test, on my first day out alone on a bike (125cc loaned by the school). Someone rammed me from behind whilst I was sitting at a junction pushing me forwards onto a roundabout - fortunately it was going very slowly and there was no damage to me other than to my nerves (and no damage worth bothering with on the bike, just a small dent in the mudgard which complements all the others you expect to find on a learner machine).

Anyway, it's not paranoia. They really are all out to get you.
____________________
Current bike: Kawasaki Z750S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:56 - 20 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmahon wrote:

Anyway, it's not paranoia. They really are all out to get you.

I always used to think this.
Then I found the same things happened when I was driving a scraped and scratched barge of a £115 passat estate.

Seems people are just crap generally Smile.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:12 - 20 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

I always used to think this.
Then I found the same things happened when I was driving a scraped and scratched barge of a £115 passat estate.

Seems people are just crap generally Smile.


In a £115 car that's built like a tank, it would be all too tempting to NOT brake for them. Just take the nose clean off their car when they stick it out into the carriageway in front of you.

Could be a new sport of "Audi spinning", the person to get the highest number of degrees of rotation wins. Anyone exceeding 360 degrees gets a free t-shirt.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

impaler
Crazy Courier



Joined: 04 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:23 - 20 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

GearboxGeezer wrote:
So if you see a car on the left at a T junction, ride more to the left side of the road ( if theres a car infront of u which is blocking u from the car pulling out )

I see why you do this, but I have a different approach. When it comes to T-junctions, if I see a car waiting on the left and I am approaching, I drift towards the middle of the road (but still on my side) deliberately - this means that a) the car driver is more likely to see you, since you're going more across him then directly towards him; and b) if they do decide to pull out on you, you've got a better chance of being able to go around him - if you've drifted to the left then you're a bit screwed Smile
____________________
Monster m600
Web, blog, Bikepics page
An optimist will tell you the glass is half full. The pessimist, half empty. The engineer will tell you the glass is twice the size it needs to be.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MikeH
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 10 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:57 - 20 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a much better day today had to go out to a site so put about 70 miles on the clock.
I think it's just a case of being a bit more assertive while at the same time staying on the ball, did a bit of filtering in the traffic and riding a bit further towards the centre of the road seems to have helped with stopping plonkers pulling out on me. I still need to master crosswinds and overtaking trucks without getting blown about but I'm getting there slowly.

My cornering has improved and generally I'm starting to get to know the bike a bit better which helps with confidence levels, give it another week I'll have my knee down Wink if thats possible on a KLE Mr. Green

G, I ride everywhere with dip beam always have even as a yoof on peds, my side light is pants, don't even know why Kawasaki bothered fitting one Rolling Eyes

Cheers for the tips folks Thumbs Up
____________________
Busa Junkie
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:20 - 20 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knee down should be ok on the KLE, just take it east and get faster progressively. Have got knee down on a dr with trail tyres no problem.

Stinkwheel:
Was driving through London stuck in 4th and then 3rd gear (had to get out open bonnet to change gear) - 4th gear was geared for 120, which was interesting.
Someone tried to play 'chicken' with me as such, seeing who would brake and let the other into a merging bit where I had right of way.
I was following Korn and didn't want to lose sight so there was /no/ way I was going to let them infront, they did try and edge for a bit before they got the idea.

Quote:
G, I ride everywhere with dip beam always have even as a yoof on peds, my side light is pants, don't even know why Kawasaki bothered fitting one Rolling Eyes

Sidelights aren't supposed to be good, just a little extra.
Do be aware that by doing this you may be slightly endangering yourself. People may be more likely to see you, but those that do are less liekly to know if you're close or not.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MikeH
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 10 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:26 - 20 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Knee down should be ok on the KLE, just take it east and get faster progressively. Have got knee down on a dr with trail tyres no problem.


hmm may be a while yet I reckon Wink although it has got Pirelli ST's on so should have a bit more grip than trailies.


Quote:
Sidelights aren't supposed to be good, just a little extra.
Do be aware that by doing this you may be slightly endangering yourself. People may be more likely to see you, but those that do are less liekly to know if you're close or not.


OK but then why do Kawasaki make the new ER-5's (I learnt on one) have no light switch, as soon as you start them the dipped beam is on full time you have no choice Confused
____________________
Busa Junkie
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:31 - 20 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, meant to say semi-trail tyres. They were road biased, but still ok for gentle off road stuff (well and more, but not designed for a mx track Smile ).

Some new bikes don't, which has been a matter of issue.
I believe TC has mentioned that if you crash into someone in such a case and your bike /does/ have a switch, then their lawyrs could use it against you.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MikeH
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 10 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:52 - 20 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

I believe TC has mentioned that if you crash into someone in such a case and your bike /does/ have a switch, then their lawyrs could use it against you.


Thats a bit rough, I understand what you say about the light but surely the point is if they're sitting at the junction and are not sure how close you are or what speed you're doing then 1) they should wait, not pull out regardless 2) They shouldn't be on the road at all as they are obviously a danger to everyone and anyone.

Certainly I would argue that if they can't judge the speed of an oncoming vehicle (regardless of light) and still pulled out then they are incompentant to say the very least.

Mike Cool
____________________
Busa Junkie
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:01 - 21 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a legal professional, so not the one to argue with Smile.

TC is/was a pretty serious legal professional in the motorbiking field.

Basically though, if you are actively making it harder for people to judge your position, it's not going to look so good.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MikeH
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 10 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:10 - 21 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

No arguments with you G, just discussing the point Wink

It's typical of our bloody twisted legal system Rolling Eyes

Mike Smile
____________________
Busa Junkie
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 262 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.98 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 118.66 Kb