Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Fork seals. Bolt at the bottom.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

DukeRed
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:08 - 25 Jan 2006    Post subject: Fork seals. Bolt at the bottom. Reply with quote

My fork seal blew after only two months of the mechanic putting a new one in.

Reason I took them to him in the first place was that I couldn't get the bolt at the bottom out. Bent two allen keys before giving up. Any ideas how to get it out?

Also I have a dirt and oil seal, do I need anything else?

How does having one blown affect the handling? I think I noticed it being much more unhappy at high speeds on the motorway when hitting cats eyes, twitching quite alot. Is that part of it?
____________________
Enjoy Life There's Plenty of Time to be Dead
https://www.janoner.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bezzer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:16 - 25 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get an allen head socket, cheap enough for a set of 3/8ths drive ones and much stronger than an ordinary allen key.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/images/products/mid/MM040214926.jpg

You might find you have to hold the inners else the lot turns and the bolt doesn't undo, different bikes have different locking methods, what bike is it?.
And yes a blown one will affect the handling. You should also check the stanchions to see if they are bent/pitted or whatever with it blowing another seal so quick, also the bushes inside might be worn.
____________________
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not quite so sure.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DukeRed
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:29 - 25 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah thats what I forgot to mention.

I've got the allen key sockets but the problem is I have to take out the spindle to get to it. I have to compress the fork while doing this, yes?
____________________
Enjoy Life There's Plenty of Time to be Dead
https://www.janoner.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew



Joined: 05 Nov 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:38 - 25 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allen socket thingie & an air powered doohicky.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DukeRed
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:46 - 25 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah that air powered thing that I can't afford.
____________________
Enjoy Life There's Plenty of Time to be Dead
https://www.janoner.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Garnsie
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 29 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:07 - 25 Jan 2006    Post subject: Fork seals Reply with quote

Hi, i have the same problem took my bike to a mechanic because the forks were leaking. The person before me has rounded the bolts at the bottom.....so it cost me £25 just for him to have a look at it. So ive taken it to another mechanic and he said he can get them out but i have to get the new fork seals only thing is were im ordering them from they need the dimensions.....can anyone help its a Honda VFR400K NC21 1988 . Any help appreciated
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bezzer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:54 - 25 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

DukeRed wrote:
Ah thats what I forgot to mention.

I've got the allen key sockets but the problem is I have to take out the spindle to get to it. I have to compress the fork while doing this, yes?


No, first thing you should do is loosen the fork top bolt a bit while they are still in the yokes( to make it easier later) then take the forks off, you can't do anything with them on. Then try to loosen the allen bolt, the fork spring is already under compression and that might be enough grip on the inners and let you loosen the bolt. If that fails you've got to take the fork top nut off (that you started to loosen earlier) take the spring and any spacers out, drain the oil then whatever method your bike uses lock the inner so you can undo the bolt. Once that's out you rip out the stanchion from the leg, check for why it went i.e. bent/pitted/duff bushes then reassemble with a new seal.
Have you got a manual because there may be slight variations as to what you need to do?
____________________
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not quite so sure.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew



Joined: 05 Nov 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:14 - 26 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

DukeRed wrote:
Ah that air powered thing that I can't afford.

It literally takes about 5 seconds, any bike shop will usually undo that bolt for free.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DukeRed
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:13 - 26 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the replys. Was thinking since the mechanic only did it 2 months ago could I ask him to do it cheaper since he might not have bedded it in properly the first time?
____________________
Enjoy Life There's Plenty of Time to be Dead
https://www.janoner.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 251 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.20 Sec - Server Load: 0.73 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 60.49 Kb