Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Bike won't catch after winter rest

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

innominate
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:20 - 26 Jan 2006    Post subject: Bike won't catch after winter rest Reply with quote

Hi,

My CB500 wont start after sitting for a few months.
Battery is fine and the starter motor turns without a problem.

Does not catch though.
I noticed I had left the fuel tap on by mistake all winter.


What should i check, step by step to get it to start running again?


I would guess (with my limited knowledge) that something could have blocked the carbs?
____________________
I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the customs agent. I am the coast-guard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:34 - 26 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's turning over, my first guess would be fuel. How long has it been stood for? Modern petrol goes off in a matter of weeks, I would recommend cleaning out the carbs, draining the tank and trying fresh fuel. If that doesn't work, take the plugs out and see if they're wet with fuel or not. If they are then you have an electrical problem.

My guess would be fuel though.

Cheers

Grim
____________________
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

carvell
Scuttler



Joined: 05 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:42 - 26 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the carbs off, give them a clean, put them back on.

I had exactly the same problem - this will fix it.
____________________
Yamaha TDM 850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Superlight
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 18 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:31 - 26 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds about right - once the volatile parts of the fuel have evaporated, you're left with 'gunge' in the carbs.

When you lay a bike up for a while, it's worth draining the tank (or at least running it down to reserve) and the carbs (run the engine with the fuel tap off), or use a stabiliser additive. That should help with getting it going again come spring.

I assume somebody's done the "how to store a bike" guide here before? I couldn't see it, but I admit I didn't look far.
____________________
You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move but should, use the WD-40.
If it shouldn't move but does, use the Duct Tape.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:27 - 26 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My VT is being a bastard to start when it (the weather) gets cold. It works fine when it's warm, but give it anything much colder than five degrees and it decides to go on holiday. It had been stood over the winter and half of last year too, so I guess stripping and cleaning the carbs is something I really should have done already. Embarassed
____________________
I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 252 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 0.69 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 45.36 Kb