Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Would you welcome ABS?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:03 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Would you welcome ABS? Reply with quote

ABS on bikes, if it was an option on most bikes would you take it?

I think I would personally, anything that makes motorcycling that little bit safer is great in my opinion. You could argue that it removes rider skill, but I think that it is for the better, and personally would like to see ABS as an option on mainstream motorcycles.

Thoughts?

Toby
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:05 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way!! Wouldn't be able to do stoppies!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

R4nger
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:05 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can imagine a person doing a burnout on a ABS bike and the front sides abit from the grip and then the ABS releasing the brakes Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:06 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, ABS is categorically a good thing in the hands of the untrained and the hamfisted. Anyone who has binned their bike due to locking the front on a slimey surface will understand. It can be a very useful device, even if there are situations in which it does not produce absolutely optimum braking.
____________________
I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:09 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone got experience of ABS - one problem I can see is that it could give you a false sense of confidence as I would expect it to be a lot less effective than car ABS.

Have ridden a bike with ABS, but as it was at Brands Hatch in the fast group, I didn't want to try it out really Smile (obviously no problems with grip normally).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Suzuki
Roger



Joined: 03 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:11 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish my car DIDN'T have ABS. It pisses me off.
____________________
<Simple> no I'm shaven Jon Razz
<Simple> it is a big enough hole.. I'll leave it now
Ride: 1999 Suzuki GSXR600 (yellow/black) IRC: Stats - Relationship Map
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:15 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something else to go wrong.

I like the simple directness of the engineering on motorcycle brakes. Either lever pulls cable, moves shoes into contact with drum. Or lever pumps piston, moves other piston which pushes pads against disc.

I don't like the idea of lever pumps piston, sensor checks wheel, computer decides if wheel moving. IF wheelmoving=1 applybrake ELSE nobrake; ENDIF: . Pushes piston against brake pads.

Something in common with every computer I have ever used (even very basic ones which are little more than a series of transistors) is that at some point they stop working for no apparent reason. Now you usually just have to reset them to get them working again...

Same reason I wont buy a bike with fuel injection, inherantly dislike the idea of CDI (although it is difficult to avoid) and disconnect all the idiot switches on my bikes.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Brava210
Crazy Courier



Joined: 04 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:24 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

mines got ABS though i havn't used it YET Smile
____________________
Honda Novio, Puch Grand Prix, Suzuki AP50, CZ 125, Wassell 125, Montesa 348,Honda 125TDC, Suzuki 100ER, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Aprillia Pegaso, Honda PCX125, Honda Forza300, BMW G310 GS, Suzuki SFV650, Honda CB500X

CHARLEY SAYS " ALWAYS TELL YOUR MUMMY BEFORE YOU GO OFF SOMEWHERE"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:25 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

R4nger wrote:
I can imagine a person doing a burnout on a ABS bike and the front sides abit from the grip and then the ABS releasing the brakes Laughing


Jebus, you're right. I think traction control would be a worthwhile acompaniment to abs. Though singe i don't do burnouts, stoppies etc, i'd rather have ABS on a winter hack simply because i know i'm probably going down the road without it.

Jack
____________________
www.bikepics.com/members/jackcheese <--- NOW FOR SALE! 51 Plate Cagiva Planet 125
Quacker_boy: "Jack, you really are a dick!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Simple
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:27 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the idea, besides locking the rear wheel up is fun Laughing



If I went to look at 2 second hand bikes, both the same in every way except one had ABS, I'd take the one without, imo just something else to go wrong.
simple
____________________
Insta - FemFeral
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:30 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can turn them off you know.

A mate on his beamer apparently only avoided a crash because of abs, he got forced into a concrete barrier at speed which jammed the rear brake on. IF he hadnt had ABS it would have kicked him off.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School



Joined: 26 Jan 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:37 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like ABS only if you could turn it off;
the fact that it makes servicing more expensive and difficult is a big down side though.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Zimbo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:00 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some evidence that ABS on a bike is actually LESS safe.

When I think about it, when was the last time I locked up the front wheel under heavy braking? Nope, don't recall that I ever have . . .

So, not for me thanks.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:02 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.

What's the general consensus on motorcycle safety in general?

If motorcycling was MUCH MUCH safer (IE: risks of death comparable or less than in a car) Would you still ride? Would it be boring without the danger aspect?

Personally, I would love riding to be as safe as it can be, it's not the danger I enjoy.

Toby
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

fuzz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:07 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zimbo wrote:
When I think about it, when was the last time I locked up the front wheel under heavy braking?


On my test Razz

Not since... So no, I wouldn't go for it. How about CBS? Again, I would rather have full control over both brakes. I don't like the idea of something going wrong, and having the rear lock up when I'm only using the front brake.
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/fuzzbcf/
Bikes: '99 NSR125R, '00 SV650S, K1 GSX-R600, '97 CB500, K3 SV1000S, '16 VFR800
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Lone-Wolf
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:09 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wotcha.

ABS ain't new.

My old sidevalve BSA outfit ( 7 inch drum front - 6 inch drum rear ) wouldn't lock the wheels no matter how hard you squeezed that lever or stood on that pedal. . . . . . and take it from me, with a trailer behind it, a passenger in the chair it put a whole new meaning to the words "safe braking distance" Wink

Poor brakes and poor lights are two of the things I would not like to go back to - - not all progress is bad.
____________________
Cheers.
^..^
L.W. - www.moonshiners.org.uk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:12 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lone-Wolf wrote:
Wotcha.

ABS ain't new.

My old sidevalve BSA outfit ( 7 inch drum front - 6 inch drum rear ) wouldn't lock the wheels no matter how hard you squeezed that lever or stood on that pedal. . . . . . and take it from me, with a trailer behind it, a passenger in the chair it put a whole new meaning to the words "safe braking distance" Wink

Poor brakes and poor lights are two of the things I would not like to go back to - - not all progress is bad.


Don't buy a CG then Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

www.125power.com
Crazy Courier



Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:20 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought ABS would help with stoppies as it has nothing to do with fork-dive. ABS or Anti-Lock Bracking System simply backs of the brakes slightly as it detects wheel lock. Modern ABS sytems do this so fast you never knew the wheel actually engaged a full lock condition because it happens in a 100/th of a second and is corrected in 2-6 100/th's of a second later depending on the system. not being able to lock the front wheel is great for stoppies
Not being able to lock the back wheel can be a pain in the arse when you want fun.
Front ABS will asist rolling burn-outs too as it stops the front wheel jittering along the tarmac or just locking and skidding....but you will be more likely to move quicker as the abs backs of the brakes as the wheel locks and you will probably start picking up speed without realising
____________________
My eBay Items
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:25 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zimbo wrote:
When I think about it, when was the last time I locked up the front wheel under heavy braking? Nope, don't recall that I ever have . . . .


But is that because you know it is likely to happen so only use (say) 50% of the possible braking power in an emergency?

Personally I think it would depend on what the bike was being used for. Winter riding to work then I would appreciate it. In a way it is more important on a bike than a car, because if you lock the front wheel you are likely to come off. On the other hand a car only has a single brake control for 4 wheels, and each of those 4 wheels has a different level of grip available to it.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:26 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe ABS detects the differences between wheel speed?
In a stoppy there would be a difference in wheel speed unless you were very good with the throttle at the same time.
In a similar manner it should stop rolling burnouts

Toby:
If I believed it would actually help safety on the bikes I ride and it was no extra cost, I would have it.
I'm not convinced that it will so far.

Suzuki:
Out of interest, why don't you want it in the car?
I've been hankering after a car with ABS for a while.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:45 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi G

They should partly work on the difference in wheel speeds, but also on the max deceleration that the wheel should manage (so if it exceeds that then it thinks it is locking).

ABS in cars does increase the stopping distance. Trouble is that the time ABS is useful is when something unexpected happens and people panic brake. At which point the ABS will easily outperform someone with fried egg eyes and locked wheels.

Also the ABS in some cars seems to cut in very early (certainly does in our 155), and some cars have fairly limited ABS (quite often the rear wheels are treated as the same, so one locks and the other has the brakes backed off as well).

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

www.125power.com
Crazy Courier



Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:49 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABS simply keeps your brakes from locking up. On Bikes not equipped with ABS, the rider can manually pump the brakes to prevent wheel lockup or not pull the lever as hard. In vehicles equipped with ABS, the rider remains firmly on the brake lever as hard as he/she likes, allowing the system to automatically pump the brakes (so quick you dont feel it or feel any surges under heavy braking) the result is a continuisly varying presure on the pads nd thus they cannot lock the disc but slow it very fast.

SO where is the need for the ABS to be connected to the throttle????

Also on ice can increase your stopping distance over a "controled skid" i would rather ABS or Gentle manual braking than attempting to skid to a stop.
____________________
My eBay Items
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:55 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The system monitors wheel speeds, so when one stops straight away, it knows it's locked, and releases instantly, but the time taken is miniscule, so you don't notice it.

Jack
____________________
www.bikepics.com/members/jackcheese <--- NOW FOR SALE! 51 Plate Cagiva Planet 125
Quacker_boy: "Jack, you really are a dick!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:01 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Personally I think it would depend on what the bike was being used for. Winter riding to work then I would appreciate it. In a way it is more important on a bike than a car, because if you lock the front wheel you are likely to come off.


Agreed - if I was to buy a bike with ABS, like others have already mentioned, I'd like to switch it on or off depending on conditions. Personally, I don't like the notion of emergency stops in the wet. Yes, I have done them and haven't come off, even with the front wheel locking, but usually, it's an area I don't 'enjoy'.

Also, whilst I'm at it, I'd like to have electronically adjustable suspension for wet/dry conditions (just presets, so I can mess up my suspension settings if I felt the need), plus high/low states of engine tune to (doesn't one of the new Benelli TNT's cater for this?)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kb-zxr
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 01 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:06 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon it would be useful for the front wheel at least. Stoppies might still be possible as the front wheel just doesn't stop at once afaik.

I wouldn't like linked brakes though, I would like to operate both independantly.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 242 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.56 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 133.97 Kb