Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Applying For A JOB - Help...Stupid question to answer!!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

ash t
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:38 - 04 Mar 2006    Post subject: Applying For A JOB - Help...Stupid question to answer!! Reply with quote

Hi,

I have an application form online for British Transport Police. I have filled it all in, and im confident I have done OK with it.

I am left with one question to answer, and I cannot think of anything. Can anybody help me??

I know nobody knows me or anything, but any examples or advice, or any good stories I can write down would be good.

Cheers

Ash

Quote:
Q3. Police officers often need to remain calm and act logically and decisively in very difficult circumstances.

Recall an occasion when you have been in a very challenging or difficult situation and had to make a decision that perhaps others disagreed with. You will be assessed in this question on how positively you reacted in the face of difficulty and challenge.

lllN30lll
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 04 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

When McDonalds ask you if you want to supersize your meal, fookin difficult answer! yeh, no, yeh! yeh but with a diet coke

Last edited by lllN30lll on 15:08 - 04 Mar 2006; edited 1 time in total

syl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:55 - 04 Mar 2006    Post subject: Re: Applying For A JOB - Help...Stupid question to answer!! Reply with quote

ash t wrote:
Hi,

I have an application form online for British Transport Police. I have filled it all in, and im confident I have done OK with it.

I am left with one question to answer, and I cannot think of anything. Can anybody help me??

I know nobody knows me or anything, but any examples or advice, or any good stories I can write down would be good.

Cheers

Ash

Quote:
Q3. Police officers often need to remain calm and act logically and decisively in very difficult circumstances.

Recall an occasion when you have been in a very challenging or difficult situation and had to make a decision that perhaps others disagreed with. You will be assessed in this question on how positively you reacted in the face of difficulty and challenge.

Make up some story about how you made your mate keep his helmet on and lie still until the ambulance came after he had crashed his bike and hurt his back/neck, despite him being very upset and wanting to take it off ASAP.

Or about how you took a helmet off an unconcious rider who turned out to have airway obstruction, despite other bystanders wanting to keep it on.

The second would be more impressive (more likely you saved his life than you saved the neck of your mate in the 1st one), but may need more explaining at interview. You are likely to get asked about any interesting answers at interview.

flat spot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:01 - 04 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Make up some story about how you made your mate keep his helmet on and lie still until the ambulance came after he had crashed his bike and hurt his back/neck, despite him being very upset and wanting to take it off ASAP.

Or about how you took a helmet off an unconcious rider who turned out to have airway obstruction, despite other bystanders wanting to keep it on.

The second would be more impressive (more likely you saved his life than you saved the neck of your mate in the 1st one), but may need more explaining at interview. You are likely to get asked about any interesting answers at interview

That's right, lie on your application form to be in the Police. Laughing

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 12:30 - 04 Mar 2006    Post subject: Re: Applying For A JOB - Help...Stupid question to answer!! Reply with quote

dmahon wrote:

Dont make it up, base it on a real accident but then exaggerate and make it more impressive, this way it will sound like you are recalling the event if you get to interveiw (and will look like your visulising it in your head etc) but make yourself more the hero Thumbs Up

Spys normally base there cover storys on part of their life as the best lies are the ones that are nearest the truth Thumbs Up Wink

XS1954
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:17 - 04 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't lie because if you are asked about it your version may differ to what you write down. They are not expecting you to say you tackled an armed robber because you are a civilian, you are not expected to have done anything like that.

Is there nothing at your current work that you can write about were you made a decision that others workers did not agree?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:39 - 04 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Even something like going mountain climbing, being very near the top and insisting on coming back down because the weather was cutting up rough, despite others wanting to press on.

Perhaps be helpful if I say how I would answer this?

One time I attended one of my clients horses which had foundered. I told him it had to be put down, he said he wanted to give it another couple of days. I insisted it was put down and told him I wasn't leaving until it was despite pleading and emotional blackmail. In that situation, the wlefare of the animal took prescedence over my relationship with the client.

Another time I was called out by my bosses biggest client. Their £20k bull had dropped dead and he tried to pressurise me into falsifying an insurance certificate saying it had been involved in a vehicle accident. I could easily have done this and noone would have found out but I refused on my personal principles. Later that day he tried again, this time offering a £500 bribe in a brown envelope which I also refused.

DAF
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:38 - 04 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What they're looking for is an example to show you don't just buckle and give in when faced with pressure or a difficult situation. There can be a fine line between standing up for a principle and appearing obstinate without thought for the other person's viewpoint, so make sure you write your answer carefully. Most people embellish these types of answers but don't be tempted to go OTT on the bullshit; if you're asked to expand on your story in an interview your body language will most likely give you away unless you're adept at manipulating the signals you give out. Most interviewers, at least for large companies and professional organisations, are fully trained in the art of reading people's body language. Makes it interesting when a candidate is saying one thing and their hand signals, eye movements etc are saying another.

Your profile has you down as a mortgage advisor and you might be able to find something there which you can use e.g. you had to turn an angry customer down for a mortgage because of their financial situation or maybe they didn't have the correct paperwork. Your answer should include evidence that you have clearly explained your position to the upset customer but that you then went the extra mile to offer an alternative solution etc

Try and use the STAR mnemonic when structuring your answer but obviously don't include it the answer you submit; it's just there do help you put your answer down in a clear and concise order.
- Situation (This is what you were faced with)
- Task (Detail the challenge you faced)
- Action (How you went about it)
- Result (Speaks for itself but try and include a happy ending e.g. whilst the other party may not initially have agreed with your position he at least understood where you were coming from and thanked you for your efforts. If you were able to find an alternative solution to everyone's satisfaction, even better).

Another example could be where you did something that one of your managers didn't agree with but you were eventually able to bring them round to your way of thinking.

Make sure you focus on your own involvement and are acting on your own initiative rather than just being part of the decision or simply following company rules in a jobsworth way - "I did", not "we did this".

Why not post your proposed answer on the thread or PM it through if you want a second opinion on it.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 01:27 - 05 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about the time when dom was drunk and wanted to fight you or something

i didnt actually see it but i seem to remember you handled it quite well

I think you remained calm and acted logically and decisively in very difficult circumstances.

Your decision was not to fight, when many wd have lamped the little lad for his cheek and to prove a point Wink Sensible decision not to.

Just the kind of self control you wd need as a copper i guess.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:58 - 05 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAF wrote:
pressure or a difficult situation

... like filling in such a question as the above on a form.

You'll probably find yourself in situations where you really have to think on your feet a bit more than this.

You won't be able to pose a question to BCF members when you have two thousand drunken rugby fans running up and down the platform at Twickenham and all your BTP colleagues are not in the places you think they need to be.

Shocked

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 03:09 - 05 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't fill it in, you're not what they're looking for.

The application form is the first test for an employer to test whether or not you're good enough. If you can't think laterally and come up with an answer yourself, or you lack the independance and determination to see something through yourself without any outside help, then you're not for them.

Not being able to fill it in, giving up, and asking BCF probably isn't what they're looking for. Wink

lllN30lll
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:02 - 05 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start with:-

This one time at Band Camp..........

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 17:15 - 05 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start off with:

The explosion blew me off my feet. I hit the ground rolling; I could feel the heat from the berretta as I slammed a new magazine into it, the slide slamming down with a click. I began to take more shots at the armed gun man. He returned fire again his ak47 rattling off rounds of hot death towards me. I started to run; cover was only a few feet away

He hit me in the shoulder but I kept running the pain was hot another bullet caught me in the leg the burning sensation filled my left leg. I had made it now, ducking behind the counter I could see a young lady her chest perforated with holes and covered in blood, just moments ago she had smiled at me and said hello.

Through the smoke and the crescendo of automatic fire, I could make out the armed gun man. His muzzle reports giving him away, I shot hitting him in the shoulder, I grinned from nerves more than excitement, I began to move again maybe now I could end this day in hell.

I fired four maybe more rounds into his direction.

The noise had stopped was it over?

All I can remember was the noise and the bullets getting closer pock marking the wall behind me, my time has come death was close.

Then it hit.

Hell had become a much colder place.

God damn I’m bored, fecking law homework Crying or Very sad Short story for the win. Not sure what they would make of it though
Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 15:52 - 06 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an obvious time when you have done this...

When you discovered your girlfriend was pregnant. You knew that both sets of parents would go nuts, yet you did the right thing and stuck by her. Sorted your plans out, then told them in a calm, adult manner.

I think that's got to be a far better example than a pretend road rage incident.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:24 - 06 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

carvell wrote:
If you can't fill it in, you're not what they're looking for.

The application form is the first test for an employer to test whether or not you're good enough. If you can't think laterally and come up with an answer yourself, or you lack the independance and determination to see something through yourself without any outside help, then you're not for them.

Not being able to fill it in, giving up, and asking BCF probably isn't what they're looking for. Wink

I don't agree with this.

Any question like this, I find extremely hard to answer, doesn't make me any less suitable for a job, it just means I need quite a bit of time to form an answer.

I've never been turned down for a position, and on hard questions I usually take a couple of minutes to think before I speak.

As long as you maintain positive body language, so the employer knows you are thinking, rather than stuggling, you should be ok.

But back to the form... You must have done something in the past, no matter how trivial, you need to write something that is true down because they WILL ask you about it, and if you've lied, you're fucked.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 99 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1