 veeeffarr Super Spammer
Joined: 22 Jul 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 17:39 - 18 Apr 2006 Post subject: Stopping at Traffic Lights |
 |
|
Hi,
I've posted this before, but referring to something slightly different, think the thread got culled anyway
When coming to stop at traffic lights, I'm coasting too much, I either do this:
Use front brake to scrub off speed, change down, repeat
I find this method can take too long and piss off drivers behind me, also when I blip the throttle sometimes the bike lurches when I reengage the clutch.
Method 2:
Hold front brake and clutch it while tapping down gears, releasing when I'm at ~5mph.
Method 3:
Hold onto the back brake and change down the gears.
I think the main problem I'm having is using the front brake and the clutch at the same time... It doesn't feel right, and I don't like coasting as it reduces my braking efficiency (Which is shit on the CG)
Any ideas/advice? |
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 18:28 - 18 Apr 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I'll explain what I do.
Ideally. See light changing. Roll off throttle, as revs drop, change down the box one gear at a time. As I approach the lights go into 'slow riding mode' (like you do on the u-turn). If the lights go green before I get to the line, roll on again and off I go (since I am in the correct gear and ready to rock). If the lights are still red by the time I have to stop a gentle dab of the rear brake brings it to a halt. This way you make ultra smooth progress and rarely have to stop and put your foot down.
If one 'catches me out' or the road is busy. Roll off throttle, apply front brake (best to do a token putting of your foot on the rear brake for the test). As the revs drop, change down a gear, continue changing down one gear at a time as the revs drop. As you are nearly on the line, you will be in second gear, this is when I will pull in the clutch, snick it down into first and come to a complete halt using the rear brake.
It is good practice to use the rear brake to complete your braking as there is often gravel and spilled diesel at the lights, locking the rear is a lot easier to control than locking the front. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
 Whosthedaddy Super Spammer
Joined: 11 Dec 2005 Karma :    
|
|