Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Test tomorrow! (Friday)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

damnas
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:19 - 20 Apr 2006    Post subject: Test tomorrow! (Friday) Reply with quote

So nervous, really looking forward to it! but just hoping I don't fail by doing something stupid really!

Gah. Sick
____________________
[CBT - Passed] [Theory - Passed] [DAS - PASSED!!!] Will dance for free motorcycle

We're the weeeeest stand, we're the weeeeest stand, we're the west stand Highbury! *sheds tear*
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dink
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 21 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:02 - 20 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the best for tomorrow Thumbs Up
____________________
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

element
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:35 - 20 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont do what I did on wednesday just gone Sad
____________________
04' DT125RE (run-a-bout) // 89' DT125R (rebuilt + supermoto conversion)
SPARES FOR SALE. 2RK TZR // 82 DR125 // DT125R/E .... PM ME...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:14 - 20 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Thumbs Up
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

frogmella
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:23 - 20 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

element wrote:
Dont do what I did on wednesday just gone Sad


Ditto!


Good luck mate. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MRX Steve
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 02 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:35 - 20 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck! Thumbs Up sure you'l do fine
____________________
Rieju MRX 50 Castrol Edition
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

damnas
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:42 - 20 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers!

Heres hoping!

If not, ...off to the pub!

(I'll be off to the pub anyway! Laughing )
____________________
[CBT - Passed] [Theory - Passed] [DAS - PASSED!!!] Will dance for free motorcycle

We're the weeeeest stand, we're the weeeeest stand, we're the west stand Highbury! *sheds tear*
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TOM M
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:16 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Thumbs Up
____________________
Now owner of a 1200 Bandit
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Groove
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:41 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some strange deranged reason last night before going out, putting on all my bike gear i just felt like i did the morning of my bike test. No idea why, but it was a nice feeling - without the sick feeling, just the good bit. Smile

Anyway, good luck Thumbs Up
____________________
|| Past: 1991 Kawasaki ZXR 250 ~ 2003 Honda CBR 600 F Sport ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1999 Yamaha R1 ~ 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R J ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1998 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm ~ K1 GSXR 600 Track bike ~ K6 GSXR 1000 ~ 2006 Speed Triple 1050 || Current: 2005 R1 https://www.adrucore.co.uk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

damnas
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:05 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: NOOOOO! Reply with quote

Woke up at 5 this morning, after a literally sleepless night.

Did the test, rode perfectly! (so the examiner says)

But he brought me onto this road with the biggest camber I've seen in my life! And asked me to do a U-Turn on it.

Needless to say, I failed.

Ah well. Bring on the next test!

Bummed, but I'll drink it off tonight Smile
____________________
[CBT - Passed] [Theory - Passed] [DAS - PASSED!!!] Will dance for free motorcycle

We're the weeeeest stand, we're the weeeeest stand, we're the west stand Highbury! *sheds tear*
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

GBUK101
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 26 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:53 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that Crying or Very sad I think it's a shame that they fail you on something that you will probably never do again!
____________________
Bikes : ER-5 SOLD. ZZR600 Written off, Bandit 600 SOLD, ER6F(soon!)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

gemma1675
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 20 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:10 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that mate.

At least your riding was ok, it's frustrating that you have to wait a couple of weeks to take it again when you fail like that.

Better luck next time Thumbs Up
____________________
Suzuki SV650S K5

Nobody puts baby in a corner
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

damnas
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:57 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh it's such a bummer Sad

I can't even afford a re-test at the moment so it'll have to wait for a while.

Fair play tho, at the end of the day, I couldn't do a U-turn, so a retest it is!
____________________
[CBT - Passed] [Theory - Passed] [DAS - PASSED!!!] Will dance for free motorcycle

We're the weeeeest stand, we're the weeeeest stand, we're the west stand Highbury! *sheds tear*
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:51 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes a big person to admit there limitations and faults, the U turn is hard enough, but on a tight or cambered road Mad

Better luck next time Thumbs Up
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

element
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:29 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
It takes a big person to admit there limitations and faults, the U turn is hard enough, but on a tight or cambered road Mad

Better luck next time Thumbs Up


Thats nothing. I was shown a common U-turn spot thats cambered AND on a hill! I didnt have to do that one. Luckily my U-turn spot was quite wide and did it perfect. Hope I get it again Smile I was worried most about fuckin up the U-turn.

You know why you fail for putting your foot down? Shows lack of control at low speed.. But your gonna end up putting your foot down if the road is cambered anyways cos the slightest loss in traction is gonna have the back end out. Personally I think its bollocks.A U-turn is SAFER if you put your foot down in my opinion. But at the end of the day you did it to stop you dropping the bike.

Seems your better off risking dropping the bike than putting your foot down cos either way you'll fail but at least theres a slight chance you might pull off the maneuver if you hadnt put your foot down..

Its like the examiner commented on me not giving way to an oncoming car on a hill going under a bridge. I saw plenty of space to go through but the examiner said Id never have made it on a bigger bike.. Fair enough.. BUT i wasnt on a bigger bike and if I was I wouldnt have done it.. I know the examiner knows his shit but he made it sound like I had pulled out of a junction without looking! Sometimes its difficult to judge what the examiner would consider as dangerous or unsafe when ive been allowed to rip around on a scooter with just a CBT's worth of training. Some things are just normal to me cos I know what I can or cant do. At the time my experience lead me to belive that my maneuver was perfectly safe just not when I was under exam conditions...




Some things I learned from my U-Turns (ignore me if you already know em)..

Focus on something in the distance on the other side of the road and aim for that. You'll always go in the direction your looking at..

Keep upright. I used to dip the shoulder I was turning into.. This is just asking to for the bike to drop because im leaning it at low speed.

Drag the rear brake.. get the clutch bite and those revs up and just use the brake to adjust your speed.. You should be revving fairly high and moving at walking pace before you commit into the U-turn. You should have plenty of space so use it!. Then at any point do you feel the need to put a foot down mid turn, ease up on the brake and the bike naturally tries to upright. This way your brake becomes the accelerator. Best advice I was ever given on U-turns and it works perfect for me every time. I can do almost on the spot circles like this on my scoot Very Happy You may already know this or might even be the correct way of doing it but only 1 instructors out of the 4 I had on my DAS taught me this and before that I could only put em off by fluke before then..

Oh also forgot.. Front brake is completely useless in a U-turn. Use it and that foot will be down...

Get your speed sorted out while your taking those couple of paces forward.

Bloody hell.. Longest post I think Ive ever written! Very Happy
____________________
04' DT125RE (run-a-bout) // 89' DT125R (rebuilt + supermoto conversion)
SPARES FOR SALE. 2RK TZR // 82 DR125 // DT125R/E .... PM ME...


Last edited by element on 19:05 - 21 Apr 2006; edited 4 times in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:42 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several different 'test routes' that the examiner may choose from, your instructors should know the basics of these routes and allow you to practise on the 'known' places whereby he will ask to to E stop or U turn.

If there is a particularly hard, narrowed or cambered road that you may be asked to U turn on, any instructor worth his salts should take you there time and time again until you can nail them in the toughest conditions, therefore, any wider or flatter makes it a piece of piss Thumbs Up

Over taking and filtering Thinking its a tough call.

I failed because I was reluctant to overtake a bus that had sopped to allow passengers to exit. The bus stop was tens of yards from the left hander that he asked me to take, therefore not wanting to start overtaking and get done for cutting in front of him as the bus may start to pull away again, the twat failed me Rolling Eyes

Its all about making safe and steady progress.

Show a bit of teddy when able to and restraint when unsafe
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

element
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:56 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
I failed because I was reluctant to overtake a bus that had sopped to allow passengers to exit. The bus stop was tens of yards from the left hander that he asked me to take, therefore not wanting to start overtaking and get done for cutting in front of him as the bus may start to pull away again, the twat failed me Rolling Eyes


Its a kick in the teeth. You take the safest option and get penalised.. WTF?! I guess you held up traffic though.. Was there cars approaching in the other direction and what did he say when you tried to justify it?

Its like frogmella on here failed because he went through a set of lights changing.. Now I dont know the exact situation that occured but say he went through just as they started to change, now surely it wouldve been even MORE dangerous to brake suddenly and risk losing control? So using his judgement and carrying on through the lights was the safest option. Like I said though I didnt see what happened and there are various ways he couldve done it.


ANYWAYS.......damnas how did you get on??? Smile
____________________
04' DT125RE (run-a-bout) // 89' DT125R (rebuilt + supermoto conversion)
SPARES FOR SALE. 2RK TZR // 82 DR125 // DT125R/E .... PM ME...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

damnas
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:39 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe.

Well the ride itself went pretty well. I missed a few lifesavers but he said that wasn't that big a problem as my observation was generally pretty good.

He said that if I nail my U-turn then there really should be no problems passing the test, it's just a case of finding time, as I've got uni deadlines getting nearer and nearer, and I was looking forward to going Bandit shopping!


In a way, it is quite heartening (to an extent) to see that the examiners are being picky about bike tests.

Given the lack of safety and protection, I don't know, it's pretty annoying when you fail, but I guess it's like that for a reason.

*shrugs*

The more I think about it, the more it annoys me! I should have been sending off for a revised driving license with a little bike on the back! Instead of having to rebook.
____________________
[CBT - Passed] [Theory - Passed] [DAS - PASSED!!!] Will dance for free motorcycle

We're the weeeeest stand, we're the weeeeest stand, we're the west stand Highbury! *sheds tear*
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:19 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seemed pointless on to argue as the examiner laghed and said would you have sat behind the bus in your car, the answer being NO Exclamation

He likes to see good progress and an ability to use the right wrist Wink
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:41 - 22 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
...and said would you have sat behind the bus in your car, the answer being NO Exclamation
He likes to see good progress and an ability to use the right wrist Wink


That sounds very much like my DAS instructor. He suggested exactly the same thing a few times during my lessons - my problem initially was not having enough confidence on hill starts/clutch control etc
(He must've done a good job though, cos I managed to get from bike virgin to DAS pass in just 5 lessons Karma )
____________________
1st bike (Sept'06 - May'10) : 1991 GPZ500S / Current bike (since Nov 2009) : 2003 Suzuki Bandit 600N
Word of the day : DILLIGAF
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:54 - 22 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dazbo666 wrote:
(He must've done a good job though, cos I managed to get from bike virgin to DAS pass in just 5 lessons Karma )


Thumbs Up

You do that in a car Wink
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob W
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:46 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My examiner actually told me before we went out if there was someone doing less than the speed limit and it was safe to get past then please do, and not to think twice about filtering. I think I ended up making about 3-4 overtakes whilst out on my test, though I must admit it is a hard one to call, because you want to be seen to be making progress but not that your a lunatic and will overtake everything.

I was lucky to pass mine first time, I got 3 minors for my observation, so if I'd missed one more lifesaver that would of been it.

When I did my test I thought I'd failed within about 2 minutes. We were going up a hill and I had to make a right turn, which was right at the crest of the hill and out of sight. Anyway I went and when I looked in the mirror the examiner hadn't, so I just assumed he thought it was unsafe and that I'd failed. I rode the rest of the test with the raging 'ump, f'ing and blinding the whole time and not really paying much attention to the test because I was so pissed off that I'd spent all that money on my test, had my bike waiting and I'd failed. Got back and he asked me some questions on taking pillions and told me I'd passed, I couldn't believe it!

Good luck with your test mate, just need to believe in yourself. I know that sounds cheesy but if you know you can do it, then just keep telling yourself that and you'll be fine.

Thumbs Up
____________________
'90 TS50 > '04 Senda 125 > '91 ZXR400 > '90 CB-1 > '04 GSX-R1000 > '96 Bandit 600 > '89 ZXR750 H1 > '96 GSX-R750 SRAD > '98 RR-W Fireblade > '98 T595 Daytona > '03 Hornet 900 > '04 Fireblade > '16 GSX-S1000F (x2) > '23 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

damnas
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:41 - 25 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

""""I rode the rest of the test with the raging 'ump, f'ing and blinding the whole time and not really paying much attention to the test because I was so pissed off that I'd spent all that money on my test, had my bike waiting and I'd failed.""""

Haha, this is so true, after my U-turn I was riding like that, not really giving a balls about the test because I knew I'd failed anyway. Got back to the centre and he didn't even mention it, if anything he said my riding picked up after the U-turn!!

Anyway, booked my re-test, £163...! Shocked

My wallets feeling considerably empty, and I'm just hoping I pass this time!

I wont have ridden a motorcycle in about a month by the time of my test tho....

Confused
____________________
[CBT - Passed] [Theory - Passed] [DAS - PASSED!!!] Will dance for free motorcycle

We're the weeeeest stand, we're the weeeeest stand, we're the west stand Highbury! *sheds tear*
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:51 - 25 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck fella Wink
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 166 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.58 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 136.28 Kb