|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Kris |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kris World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Feb 2002 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 11:50 - 25 Apr 2006 Post subject: Restarting a bike after a long lay-up.. |
 |
|
Morning all.
I'm going to be attempting to start the Bandit after a six month lay-up. I realise I should have done a few things before I left her to the ravages of winter and rot but if I'm honest I'll admit that I did absolutely nothing to help my cause. Nada, nil.
Well that's not strictly true - I did replace the front fairing bracket and headlight assembly, although I doubt that will help her start.
So what I'm after is a list of things to look for on Friday when the inevitable happens and she refuses to play ball. Mind you, after the way she's been abused she has a right to be pissed off
The battery died months ago so I've bought another which is ready to slot in. The old petrol is still in the tank so I guess I'll replace that and drain out the tank. Mind you the carbs are probably full of crap. Joy.
How should I go about trying to start her? - I figure an oil change would be a nice gesture even though she's done less than 2k on the oil in there. Worth it?
Bleugh help!  ____________________ NSR125RR - ZXR750H1 - ZX9R E1 - GSF600S - GSF600SK3 - VFR400-NC30 - SV1000N - ST1100-R - CBR900RR-R - GSF1200SK5 - GSF600SK1 - VFR1200FA - GSXR1000K2 - ZZR1400 D8F
www.prisonplanet.com |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| phill.c |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 phill.c Traffic Copper

Joined: 13 May 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 11:59 - 25 Apr 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
first check battery (which you have a new one so that won't matter) change petrol- don't use whats in the tank, check oil.
wouldn't bother checking plugs unless it doesn't start.
phill ____________________ CBR400RR the funs started - Honda MTX 125 ongoing project when i can be arsed  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| map |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 map Mr Calendar

Joined: 14 Jun 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 12:00 - 25 Apr 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
There will be purists on here who'll say strip everything and clean it.
However, having had bikes idle that isn't always required.
You're right about the petrol. You could drain the tank and the carbs.
There's likely to be some varishing in the carbs but I'd try first before stripping it down. One saving grace if you didn't drain the carbs beforehand is that if they've got diaphragms then they may not have cracked.
Replace petrol with fresh stuff. Then add some of the petrol additive. Silkolene do one, Pro FST, available at most bike shops (or the shop should stock an alternative).
As said, put in new battery and give the engine a go.
If you start it and if you have a centre/paddock stand put into 1st gear and make sure everything moves ok.
Before you ride anywhere drop the pads out of the brakes. Give the discs and pads a quick rub down with a very fine abrasive (wire wool) to remove rust. Make sure the caliphers have not seized as well (a common condition when bikes are left).
HTH  ____________________ ...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger?  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kris |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kris World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Feb 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| map |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 map Mr Calendar

Joined: 14 Jun 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| kawakid |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 kawakid World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Mar 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rit |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rit Trackday Trickster
Joined: 24 Jan 2006 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| BFG |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 BFG Brolly Dolly

Joined: 14 Feb 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Robby |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Robby Dirty Old Man

Joined: 16 May 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kris |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kris World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Feb 2002 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 10:08 - 02 May 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks for all the replies people.
You'll be pleased to know that after a new battery, fresh fuel and drained carbs she started (after a bump) and now runs just as she did before the lay-up. I didn't add any fuel additives in the end. ____________________ NSR125RR - ZXR750H1 - ZX9R E1 - GSF600S - GSF600SK3 - VFR400-NC30 - SV1000N - ST1100-R - CBR900RR-R - GSF1200SK5 - GSF600SK1 - VFR1200FA - GSXR1000K2 - ZZR1400 D8F
www.prisonplanet.com |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 20 years, 161 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|