|
|
| Author |
Message |
| jok |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 jok Scooby Slapper

Joined: 06 Dec 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 18:35 - 30 Apr 2006 Post subject: How not do an oil change... |
 |
|
My CG needed an oil change (it was a little overdue), and I decided to read up on it and do it myself. It seemed easy enough, so off I went:
Place a bowl under the drain plug, unscrew it, pick out the filter, wait for oil to drain... "No problem, this is easy.", me thinks. Reassembled the filter and the spring, put the oil drain plug back on, and screwed it tight (with a torque wrench, no less). At this point I'm not sure if I'd just breathed too much of the oil fumes, but for some reason I was convinced that it was too tight, and proceeded to unscrew it again with another wrench to re-tighten it. Or rather, I thought I was unscrewing it.
No points for guessing what I actually did: screw it in even tighter, to the point where the rim around the plug that holds the rubber seal in place just sheared off.
Now, I left the drain plug in place (after loosening it slightly (really, this time)) and filled it up with oil again to the correct level. It's not leaking, as far as I can tell, and the o-ring is staying in place. I started her up very briefly and gave her some gentle revs, rechecked the oil level and it still looks OK.
I was tempted to risk riding it to the nearest garage to get a new plug, but in the end I decided to cut my losses and walk there tomorrow (and hope and pray that it's open ).
The lesson learned: Counter-clockwise loosens. Always*. Not just the first time you unscrew it .
I'll think I'll have a cup of tea now until I've calmed down a bit (and stopped swearing at myself ).
-------
* Yes, I know there are some screws that can go the other way, but as a general rule... ____________________ CG125 (stolen->recovered!) || Wars do not decide who's right, only who's left.
Last edited by jok on 18:54 - 30 Apr 2006; edited 1 time in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| 0ddball |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 0ddball World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Jul 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 18:51 - 30 Apr 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Put down the tools and step away from the motorcycle. We're ready to listen to your demands [/common sense police]  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Whosthedaddy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Whosthedaddy Super Spammer
Joined: 11 Dec 2005 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 19:15 - 30 Apr 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Righty tighty, lefty loosey  ____________________ Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| thx1138 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 thx1138 World Chat Champion

Joined: 06 Oct 2005 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 19:17 - 30 Apr 2006 Post subject: . |
 |
|
I did once overtighten.... This was almost 16 years ago...
My friends helped me out. Someone actually bodged a cork washer, and I rode home.
Next day, another mate, re-threaded, BY HAND! with some weird star shaped chisel thing and a hammer.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Whosthedaddy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Whosthedaddy Super Spammer
Joined: 11 Dec 2005 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 19:20 - 30 Apr 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I've overtightened nuts before causing them to snap and break off, I've still not learnt that it does'nt need one more turn  ____________________ Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| jok |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 jok Scooby Slapper

Joined: 06 Dec 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Whosthedaddy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Whosthedaddy Super Spammer
Joined: 11 Dec 2005 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 20:23 - 30 Apr 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| jok |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 jok Scooby Slapper

Joined: 06 Dec 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TOM M |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TOM M World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Mar 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 23:09 - 30 Apr 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| jok |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 jok Scooby Slapper

Joined: 06 Dec 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 15:05 - 01 May 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
The dealer I was hoping to get a new plug from is shut today, as seems to be ever other place I tried so far (no surprise on May Day, I guess). At this rate I'll be stuck until next weekend, all for lack of a £3 part .
At least this way I'll have a whole week to contemplate the importance of being paying attention... ____________________ CG125 (stolen->recovered!) || Wars do not decide who's right, only who's left. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MRX Steve |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MRX Steve Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 02 Mar 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 19:56 - 01 May 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I did some thing similar before on my quad, ended up destroying the thread on the oil tank. Had to retap it  ____________________ Rieju MRX 50 Castrol Edition |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Phil_G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Phil_G Traffic Copper
Joined: 28 Mar 2006 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| veeeffarr |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 veeeffarr Super Spammer
Joined: 22 Jul 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Redd |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Redd World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Feb 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 23:25 - 01 May 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Managed to snap a rocker cover bolt the other week on my XJ600. Did it up carefully with my fingers then just gave it 'a wee nip'. Shouted over to my mate "It's not tightening, it just went loose". I'd snapped the bolt
Fortunately we managed to take the cover back off, tap a small slotted screwdriver into the remains of the bolt and turned it back out the thread. Whew. Then Yamaha charged me £14 for a new bolt and another £5 for a rubber washer to go with it We'd managed to get what was left of the bolt to bite on another thread, but it fell out along with the washer one night and covered my boots and trousers in oil
Lesson learned: if you don't know what you're doing, either get someone else to do/show you it or buy a torque wrench  ____________________ Professional Uberslacker
2006 Kawasaki Z1000 - Black at the front, airbrushed fade to red at the back.
1998 Kawasaki KDX 200 Enduro project bike |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 20 years, 161 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|