Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


How not do an oil change...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

jok
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 06 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:35 - 30 Apr 2006    Post subject: How not do an oil change... Reply with quote

My CG needed an oil change (it was a little overdue), and I decided to read up on it and do it myself. It seemed easy enough, so off I went:

Place a bowl under the drain plug, unscrew it, pick out the filter, wait for oil to drain... "No problem, this is easy.", me thinks. Reassembled the filter and the spring, put the oil drain plug back on, and screwed it tight (with a torque wrench, no less). At this point I'm not sure if I'd just breathed too much of the oil fumes, but for some reason I was convinced that it was too tight, and proceeded to unscrew it again with another wrench to re-tighten it. Or rather, I thought I was unscrewing it.

No points for guessing what I actually did: screw it in even tighter, to the point where the rim around the plug that holds the rubber seal in place just sheared off. Doh!

Now, I left the drain plug in place (after loosening it slightly (really, this time)) and filled it up with oil again to the correct level. It's not leaking, as far as I can tell, and the o-ring is staying in place. I started her up very briefly and gave her some gentle revs, rechecked the oil level and it still looks OK.

I was tempted to risk riding it to the nearest garage to get a new plug, but in the end I decided to cut my losses and walk there tomorrow (and hope and pray that it's open Confused Praying).

The lesson learned: Counter-clockwise loosens. Always*. Not just the first time you unscrew it Embarassed.

I'll think I'll have a cup of tea now until I've calmed down a bit (and stopped swearing at myself Smile).

-------

* Yes, I know there are some screws that can go the other way, but as a general rule...
____________________
CG125 (stolen->recovered!) || Wars do not decide who's right, only who's left.


Last edited by jok on 18:54 - 30 Apr 2006; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

0ddball
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:51 - 30 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put down the tools and step away from the motorcycle. We're ready to listen to your demands [/common sense police] Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:15 - 30 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Righty tighty, lefty loosey Wink
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:17 - 30 Apr 2006    Post subject: . Reply with quote

I did once overtighten.... Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad This was almost 16 years ago...

My friends helped me out. Someone actually bodged a cork washer, and I rode home.

Next day, another mate, re-threaded, BY HAND! with some weird star shaped chisel thing and a hammer. Shocked
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:20 - 30 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've overtightened nuts before causing them to snap and break off, I've still not learnt that it does'nt need one more turn Rolling Eyes
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jok
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 06 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:20 - 30 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
I've still not learnt that it does'nt need one more turn Rolling Eyes

Tight, tigther, snap Wink.
____________________
CG125 (stolen->recovered!) || Wars do not decide who's right, only who's left.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:23 - 30 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

jok wrote:
Whosthedaddy wrote:
I've still not learnt that it does'nt need one more turn Rolling Eyes

Tight, tigther, snap Wink.


The world goes extremely quiet and you replay what happened in slow motion whilst holding your head in your hands, then the jumping up and down starts, panic, swearing and shouting Wink
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jok
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 06 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:26 - 30 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
The world goes extremely quiet and you replay what happened in slow motion whilst holding your head in your hands, then the jumping up and down starts, panic, swearing and shouting Wink

Were you spying on me? Shifty
____________________
CG125 (stolen->recovered!) || Wars do not decide who's right, only who's left.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TOM M
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:09 - 30 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

jok wrote:
Whosthedaddy wrote:
I've still not learnt that it does'nt need one more turn Rolling Eyes

Tight, tigther, snap Wink.


Then the swearing begins Thumbs Up
____________________
Now owner of a 1200 Bandit
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:18 - 30 Apr 2006    Post subject: Re: How not do an oil change... Reply with quote

jok wrote:
* Yes, I know there are some screws that can go the other way, but as a general rule...


And just to add to the story, I cracked a socket trying to undo a l/h thread bolt.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jok
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 06 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:05 - 01 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dealer I was hoping to get a new plug from is shut today, as seems to be ever other place I tried so far (no surprise on May Day, I guess). At this rate I'll be stuck until next weekend, all for lack of a £3 part Sad.

At least this way I'll have a whole week to contemplate the importance of being paying attention...
____________________
CG125 (stolen->recovered!) || Wars do not decide who's right, only who's left.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MRX Steve
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 02 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:56 - 01 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some thing similar before on my quad, ended up destroying the thread on the oil tank. Had to retap it Embarassed
____________________
Rieju MRX 50 Castrol Edition
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Phil_G
Traffic Copper



Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:17 - 01 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

jok wrote:
The dealer I was hoping to get a new plug from is shut today, as seems to be ever other place I tried so far (no surprise on May Day, I guess). At this rate I'll be stuck until next weekend, all for lack of a £3 part Sad.

At least this way I'll have a whole week to contemplate the importance of being paying attention...


I had a sump nut snap off on me once and I ended up using (of all things) a spark plug as a sump plug once - it damn well worked too! Very Happy


Phil
____________________
1997 Kawasaki ER 500 A1:- Once again, Its merely crap Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:21 - 01 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

CG125 drain plug threads are massive though.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Redd
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:25 - 01 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to snap a rocker cover bolt the other week on my XJ600. Did it up carefully with my fingers then just gave it 'a wee nip'. Shouted over to my mate "It's not tightening, it just went loose". I'd snapped the bolt Embarassed

Fortunately we managed to take the cover back off, tap a small slotted screwdriver into the remains of the bolt and turned it back out the thread. Whew. Then Yamaha charged me £14 for a new bolt and another £5 for a rubber washer to go with it Evil or Very Mad We'd managed to get what was left of the bolt to bite on another thread, but it fell out along with the washer one night and covered my boots and trousers in oil Rolling Eyes

Lesson learned: if you don't know what you're doing, either get someone else to do/show you it or buy a torque wrench Thumbs Up
____________________
Professional Uberslacker
2006 Kawasaki Z1000 - Black at the front, airbrushed fade to red at the back.
1998 Kawasaki KDX 200 Enduro project bike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 161 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.32 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 91.12 Kb