Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Advice on Paddock Stands?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Ted
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:45 - 09 May 2006    Post subject: Advice on Paddock Stands? Reply with quote

Erm... simple one fellas... I need a cheapo rear paddock stand, so...

A) Has anyone on here got one for sale?
B) If not, is this one any good... https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8061563426
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:48 - 09 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rivington Barn Motorcycles in Horwich do one for £20. Where are you in the country?
____________________
"THOSE WHO RISK NOTHING, DO NOTHING, ACHIEVE NOTHING, BECOME NOTHING."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ted
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:56 - 09 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herts & Essex border, just into Essex. Nr. Saffron Walden/Stansted inc. Airport, etc... Middle of no-where really!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:00 - 09 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a hooked one, and get bobbins on your bike. Far safer than swingarm cups.

Jack
____________________
www.bikepics.com/members/jackcheese <--- NOW FOR SALE! 51 Plate Cagiva Planet 125
Quacker_boy: "Jack, you really are a dick!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ted
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:02 - 09 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you said that Jack... I forgot to ask!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:18 - 09 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobbins are much more secure, but cups have never failed me yet.

Rivington is many, many miles away mate, and their postage would make is dearer then the one you found. The one you found is worth what he's asking, even with the postage. If I had the cash spare, and didn't live round the corner from Rivi Barn motorcycles, I'ld have it myself!
____________________
"THOSE WHO RISK NOTHING, DO NOTHING, ACHIEVE NOTHING, BECOME NOTHING."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Vin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Aug 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:32 - 10 May 2006    Post subject: Re: Advice on Paddock Stands? Reply with quote

Ted wrote:
Erm... simple one fellas... I need a cheapo rear paddock stand, so...

A) Has anyone on here got one for sale?
B) If not, is this one any good... https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8061563426


That looks like the stand I got of Ebay. It came with bolts missing! It lifts my TZR250 OK but I wouldn't want anything much heavier on it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

LustyLew
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:49 - 10 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a few like that lurking on ebay from different sellers. Pretty much all the same. Used it to lift my 600 Bandit and my SV650.

Only bugger I had was I had to remove my can on the bandit before it would lift as the top would catch it. I suspect that fitting a bobbin adaptor would get around this.

Not bad for a little over £20 all in.
____________________
Like a Yorkie - I'm not for the girls Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

syl
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:53 - 10 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one of those, and it's fine.

I also got bobbins (R&G) and hooks (with the stand) - it's far easier to put the bike up with the cups by yourself than it is to put it up with the hooks/bobbins, especially on the first half dozen attempts.
____________________
Current bike: Kawasaki Z750S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ted
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:17 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys... I'll go for the eBay one... the dude has about 44 to shift so I don't have to hurry!

I only need it for lisfting a 125cc, bit larger than most 125s, but no heavier than a 250cc.

How easy would it be to change the cups for hooks and bobbins... or is that impossible?

Cheers.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

John C
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:25 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my NSR125 I used a trolley jack under the rear shock to raise the back and I made my own paddock stand for the front with some box section mild steel and some haphazard welding. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ted
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:31 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I dont have a welder... or I would have done that as well! I never thought about the trolley jack.... might give it a shot...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

John C
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:38 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted wrote:
Unfortunately I dont have a welder... or I would have done that as well! I never thought about the trolley jack.... might give it a shot...

I imagine each bike is a bit different but on the NSR it turned it into a tripod (front wheel, side stand, jack) leaving the back wheel off the ground.

I could get it high enough to remove the back wheel no problem.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ted
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:46 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be worth a go... I need to somehow sort the chain out... Bit on the saggy side! Still not sure how much slack there should be... trouble tryin to get the manual for it...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

John C
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:35 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted wrote:
Might be worth a go... I need to somehow sort the chain out... Bit on the saggy side! Still not sure how much slack there should be... trouble tryin to get the manual for it...

About 25-35mm should be ok.
Allow for the suspension, it will tighten as you sit on it.
It's better to have it too loose than too tight!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

code guru
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 25 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:42 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought this one for my rieju rs1 and my nsr
https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8054599532&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1
it works well
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

KevlarPants
Nova Slayer



Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:43 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks very similar to the set I just bough of ebay, different vendor though.

Haven't used them as I'm not sure how to assemble the wheels for the rear one.

Embarassed
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ted
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:32 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it worth getting a front stand as well?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 141 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.56 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 95.88 Kb