Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


FJR topbox mounting issue!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

feef
Energiser Bunny



Joined: 11 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:47 - 17 May 2006    Post subject: FJR topbox mounting issue! Reply with quote

I noticed on my ride back from France on Monday evening, that my Yamaha top-box was bouncing about more than usual. On getting home, I checked the box and mount, and found horizontal cracks either side of the forward bit where the top-box lip fits under.

All I had in there was my waterproof outer suit, a lightewight day bag, spare visor, spare PMR radio and firstaid kit, so it was well under 5kg.

The heaviest thing I've carried in there was my laptop, on two occasions, which weighs maybe 4kg in the bag with the power supply.

I have no idea if it was cracked when I bought the bike in march (it's a 53 plate) but I don't recall seeing any cracks when cleaning and checking the bike over.

I must admit to having been "making progress" earlier in the day, and wonder if that's part of the reason for the 80mph speed 'limit' imposed by Yamaha with regards to luggage fitment.

Go check your top-box mounts now, before it falls off.

a
____________________
Mudskipper wrote: feef, that is such a beautiful post that it gave me a lady tingle Laughing
Windchill calculator - London Bike parking
Blog and stuff - PlentyMoreFish dating
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

innominate
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:48 - 17 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I blatantly abuse the weight (and speed) limit of that top-box and its not had a problem , yet.


I drink more than 5kg of beer in a night , so whats the point of a top-box that can only carry that amount.
____________________
I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the customs agent. I am the coast-guard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nb
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:06 - 17 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a small top box with a 3kg weight limit and quite often over load it. One day i'll be sorry when it falls off. Laughing
____________________
Cbr1100xx blackbird gone, mk4 golf gt tdi chav now
Colin1 wrote 'Im grateful for what i can get, which isnt all that much.'
Columbus travel insurance are crap!! Do not use!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

feef
Energiser Bunny



Joined: 11 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:48 - 18 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

51 bloody quid!

that's how much a new top-plate for the top-box mounting kit is. Yamahahahahaha won't supply the plate by itself, so I'll end up with a load of spare bolts, spacers, and other assorted gubbins.

I might just have to attack it with araldite and some reinforcing steel/aluminium

a
____________________
Mudskipper wrote: feef, that is such a beautiful post that it gave me a lady tingle Laughing
Windchill calculator - London Bike parking
Blog and stuff - PlentyMoreFish dating
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam_P
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:17 - 18 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you buy a top plate from a different manufacturer that bolt onto the same mounting points, for less than 51 quid I mean?
____________________
Colin McRae MBE 1968 - 2007 RIP Sad
Orwell Rolls in his Grave
God is imaginary
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

feef
Energiser Bunny



Joined: 11 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:34 - 18 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam_P wrote:
Can't you buy a top plate from a different manufacturer that bolt onto the same mounting points, for less than 51 quid I mean?


it's an OE yamaha box and mount. afaik, it's a yamaha only part.

unless someone can tell me otherwise?

I might replace it with a Givi mount and box. save hassle in the long run

a
____________________
Mudskipper wrote: feef, that is such a beautiful post that it gave me a lady tingle Laughing
Windchill calculator - London Bike parking
Blog and stuff - PlentyMoreFish dating
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam_P
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:52 - 18 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find that the catch device is the same as a Givi one anyway. Have a look at them both and see. I can't see there being that much difference. And I wouldn't have thought that Yamaha actually make their own luggage, it'll be built by someone else with their logo on it. Givi being the top peeps would be a logical choice...
____________________
Colin McRae MBE 1968 - 2007 RIP Sad
Orwell Rolls in his Grave
God is imaginary
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

feef
Energiser Bunny



Joined: 11 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:00 - 18 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam_P wrote:
You may find that the catch device is the same as a Givi one anyway. Have a look at them both and see. I can't see there being that much difference. And I wouldn't have thought that Yamaha actually make their own luggage, it'll be built by someone else with their logo on it. Givi being the top peeps would be a logical choice...


it's not a givi.. if anything it's a Krauser system. afaik Krauser are no more.

a
____________________
Mudskipper wrote: feef, that is such a beautiful post that it gave me a lady tingle Laughing
Windchill calculator - London Bike parking
Blog and stuff - PlentyMoreFish dating
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 140 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.19 Sec - Server Load: 2.11 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 61.23 Kb