|
|
| Author |
Message |
| feef |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 feef Energiser Bunny

Joined: 11 Feb 2002 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 14:47 - 17 May 2006 Post subject: FJR topbox mounting issue! |
 |
|
I noticed on my ride back from France on Monday evening, that my Yamaha top-box was bouncing about more than usual. On getting home, I checked the box and mount, and found horizontal cracks either side of the forward bit where the top-box lip fits under.
All I had in there was my waterproof outer suit, a lightewight day bag, spare visor, spare PMR radio and firstaid kit, so it was well under 5kg.
The heaviest thing I've carried in there was my laptop, on two occasions, which weighs maybe 4kg in the bag with the power supply.
I have no idea if it was cracked when I bought the bike in march (it's a 53 plate) but I don't recall seeing any cracks when cleaning and checking the bike over.
I must admit to having been "making progress" earlier in the day, and wonder if that's part of the reason for the 80mph speed 'limit' imposed by Yamaha with regards to luggage fitment.
Go check your top-box mounts now, before it falls off.
a ____________________ Mudskipper wrote: feef, that is such a beautiful post that it gave me a lady tingle
Windchill calculator - London Bike parking
Blog and stuff - PlentyMoreFish dating |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| innominate |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 innominate Brolly Dolly

Joined: 18 Nov 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Nb |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Nb World Chat Champion
Joined: 17 May 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 19:06 - 17 May 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I got a small top box with a 3kg weight limit and quite often over load it. One day i'll be sorry when it falls off.  ____________________ Cbr1100xx blackbird gone, mk4 golf gt tdi chav now
Colin1 wrote 'Im grateful for what i can get, which isnt all that much.'
Columbus travel insurance are crap!! Do not use! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| feef |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 feef Energiser Bunny

Joined: 11 Feb 2002 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 14:48 - 18 May 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
51 bloody quid!
that's how much a new top-plate for the top-box mounting kit is. Yamahahahahaha won't supply the plate by itself, so I'll end up with a load of spare bolts, spacers, and other assorted gubbins.
I might just have to attack it with araldite and some reinforcing steel/aluminium
a ____________________ Mudskipper wrote: feef, that is such a beautiful post that it gave me a lady tingle
Windchill calculator - London Bike parking
Blog and stuff - PlentyMoreFish dating |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Adam_P |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Adam_P World Chat Champion

Joined: 23 Jan 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 15:17 - 18 May 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Can't you buy a top plate from a different manufacturer that bolt onto the same mounting points, for less than 51 quid I mean? ____________________ Colin McRae MBE 1968 - 2007 RIP
Orwell Rolls in his Grave
God is imaginary |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| feef |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 feef Energiser Bunny

Joined: 11 Feb 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Adam_P |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Adam_P World Chat Champion

Joined: 23 Jan 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 15:52 - 18 May 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
You may find that the catch device is the same as a Givi one anyway. Have a look at them both and see. I can't see there being that much difference. And I wouldn't have thought that Yamaha actually make their own luggage, it'll be built by someone else with their logo on it. Givi being the top peeps would be a logical choice... ____________________ Colin McRae MBE 1968 - 2007 RIP
Orwell Rolls in his Grave
God is imaginary |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| feef |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 feef Energiser Bunny

Joined: 11 Feb 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 20 years, 141 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|