Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


New tyres for my SV..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Villers
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:34 - 22 May 2006    Post subject: New tyres for my SV.. Reply with quote

Hi this is a quick one and i know a few of you have SV's so.....

Im getting a brand new set of tyres that I can trust, I dont do mega miles and I dont care if they are on the way out after 2500 miles. I just want nice and sticky in the wet and dry. I was going to have BT014's but someone said that was overkill. What do you reckon I should ask for?

cheers for any help!
____________________
RS125 > CBR6 > SV650S > ZX636R > GSX1300RZ Hayabusa > 06 RSVR Mille > SV1000S > Street Triple 765 RS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

fuzz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:41 - 22 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Metzeler Z6 and they are excellent both wet and dry. They are a touring tyre though, so you'd probably want something like the Sportec M1. They have been superseeded by the M3, but that means they should be a bit cheaper. I wouldn't consider the 014 to be overkill if you don't care about mileage. Pirelli Diablos are supposed to be good, as are Conti Sport Attacks.
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/fuzzbcf/
Bikes: '99 NSR125R, '00 SV650S, K1 GSX-R600, '97 CB500, K3 SV1000S, '16 VFR800
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:44 - 22 May 2006    Post subject: Re: New tyres for my SV.. Reply with quote

If you want sticky, I wouldn't go any less than an 014.

I have a race tyre on the front of mine and and 010 on the back - nice combo, as I keep saying.

The 014 should last a bit longer on an SV anyway as they aren't very powerful. Could probably also go for an 090 if you wanted even stickier, I would have thought.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Villers
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:58 - 22 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers lads, I really like the 014's and I might even look at the 010's. Will the sv be able to make good use of a sticky tyre without having much power?
____________________
RS125 > CBR6 > SV650S > ZX636R > GSX1300RZ Hayabusa > 06 RSVR Mille > SV1000S > Street Triple 765 RS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

fuzz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:06 - 22 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick a 47t rear sprocket on Wink
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/fuzzbcf/
Bikes: '99 NSR125R, '00 SV650S, K1 GSX-R600, '97 CB500, K3 SV1000S, '16 VFR800
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:06 - 22 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

010 is just the older version of the 014.

I'd say an SV can make full use of a sticky tyre Smile..
https://www.bcfracing.com/dump/20060408lydden/paddockhill.jpg
I've got the throttle pretty much fully open (look at the angle of my right wrist) and it's not a slow corner, either.
At points I was getting to be just about losing traction around there.

Ok, you're hopefully not going to be trying that on the road, but it means that you've got plenty more space to play with.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Villers
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:37 - 22 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK G im convinced, cheers Thumbs Up
____________________
RS125 > CBR6 > SV650S > ZX636R > GSX1300RZ Hayabusa > 06 RSVR Mille > SV1000S > Street Triple 765 RS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

extreme3d
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:41 - 22 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 020's but i'm going for Conti Road Attacks next. It's not the dry grip i'm bothered about as 020's will take all the SV can throw at it (put it this way, I've not got chicken strips), but more that the new conti's far exceed even the 020's relatively good wet weather performance. (I like riding in the rain).

On SV650.org its 50/50 between the Conti's and Metzler Z6's. 014s are not recomended.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:12 - 22 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense, but a standard SV can use a lot more grip than an 020 offers.
Whether most people will on the road is another matter.

Not having chicken strips doesn't really mean a massive amount.

I'm not that impressed by touring biased tyres wet weather performance, can't comment on the conti-attack, but I never found the 020 that great, would prefer to have the stickier 010 of the time.

I have had a dodgy incident with 014s on another bike, but most seem to think they're fine.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob W
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:30 - 22 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a set of Pilot Power's, I seriously cant recommend them enough. I had 014's on before and the bike feels completely different now, so much more stable, turns in quicker and easier and they're great in the wet too (as I found out today). I've got them to about 5mm from the edge of the tyre already and they've only done about 200 miles, they give you so much confidence.

I know for a fact they'll be my tyre of choice for a long while, I feel as if they've given my bike a new lease of life it feels that much better.

Thumbs Up
____________________
'90 TS50 > '04 Senda 125 > '91 ZXR400 > '90 CB-1 > '04 GSX-R1000 > '96 Bandit 600 > '89 ZXR750 H1 > '96 GSX-R750 SRAD > '98 RR-W Fireblade > '98 T595 Daytona > '03 Hornet 900 > '04 Fireblade > '16 GSX-S1000F (x2) > '23 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:32 - 22 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reflex wrote:
I had 014's on before and the bike feels completely different now, so much more stable, turns in quicker and easier and they're great in the wet too (as I found out today).
.....
I know for a fact they'll be my tyre of choice for a long while, I feel as if they've given my bike a new lease of life it feels that much better.

What state were you old tyres in?

People often get this with new tyres - as their old tyres gradually square off and lose grip they don't really notice.
Get new tyres on and it feels amazing, when it's more the act of having new tyres, than the type of tyres themselves.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

fuzz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:34 - 22 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

extreme3d wrote:
On SV650.org its 50/50 between the Conti's and Metzler Z6's. 014s are not recomended.


Bear in mind that most people on sv650.org use their SV for commuting/everyday riding, and therefore would prefer a less sticky tyre for it's longevity. I would hate to shell out £180 every two months in rubber alone, but for someone who uses the bike differently and doesn't care how many sets of tyres they get through, the 014 would be fine.
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/fuzzbcf/
Bikes: '99 NSR125R, '00 SV650S, K1 GSX-R600, '97 CB500, K3 SV1000S, '16 VFR800
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob W
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:36 - 22 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Reflex wrote:
I had 014's on before and the bike feels completely different now, so much more stable, turns in quicker and easier and they're great in the wet too (as I found out today).
.....
I know for a fact they'll be my tyre of choice for a long while, I feel as if they've given my bike a new lease of life it feels that much better.

What state were you old tyres in?

People often get this with new tyres - as their old tyres gradually square off and lose grip they don't really notice.
Get new tyres on and it feels amazing, when it's more the act of having new tyres, than the type of tyres themselves.


Even when I had my 014's fitted and they were freshly scrubbed in, the bike NEVER felt the way it does now.
____________________
'90 TS50 > '04 Senda 125 > '91 ZXR400 > '90 CB-1 > '04 GSX-R1000 > '96 Bandit 600 > '89 ZXR750 H1 > '96 GSX-R750 SRAD > '98 RR-W Fireblade > '98 T595 Daytona > '03 Hornet 900 > '04 Fireblade > '16 GSX-S1000F (x2) > '23 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:43 - 22 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough.

Different tyres suit different bikes and different people.
The only problem I had with them was the way they suddenly let go with no warning.

However this may have been more to do with a lot of other factors, such as bike geometry, suspension setup etc.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Snooky
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 27 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:36 - 22 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally like the Bt014's,I've used them on my R1 in the wet and dry and the grip seems good. I don't think you can go wrong with them if you want an all weather tyre. But just seems to be personal preference, need to try a few out
____________________
Bikes i've owned Aprilla Rs125, Vfr400 Nc24, Triumph TT600, Currently riding '02 R1 (now a streetfighter after losing the front on a roundabout)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

extreme3d
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:46 - 23 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzz wrote:
extreme3d wrote:
On SV650.org its 50/50 between the Conti's and Metzler Z6's. 014s are not recomended.


Bear in mind that most people on sv650.org use their SV for commuting/everyday riding, and therefore would prefer a less sticky tyre for it's longevity. I would hate to shell out £180 every two months in rubber alone, but for someone who uses the bike differently and doesn't care how many sets of tyres they get through, the 014 would be fine.


I push my bike (or is that my luck Confused ).... AND I do a lot of miles at 15K a year. None of them commuting. But, yes you are right. Most SV's are used for what they do best, 'all-rounding' and tyre longevity is an important factor for that. From a lot of the posts though people don't like the 014's on the SV due to the new conti's having a more favorable profile which suits the SV's flickable nature, not from any grip issues.

Quote:
No offense, but a standard SV can use a lot more grip than an 020 offers.
Whether most people will on the road is another matter.


An 020 is a road tyre - says it all really Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:16 - 23 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

extreme3d wrote:

An 020 is a road tyre - says it all really Wink

If you're actually riding decently fast on the road it's nice to know that it's unlikely to be your tyre that lets you down.

I've found (and gone a tad past Confused) the limits of a rear 020 on the road; I've heard others say some rather uncomplimentory things about the front and from my little experience of them, definitely wouldn't have a front 020 for 'spirited' road riding.

While I probably would be riding within their limits when they are warmed up 95% of the time on the road, I'd like to be sure that if I do something stupid there's plenty more grip to make up for my stupidity.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile



Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:40 - 23 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had diablos on the SV and although i didnt get to try any others on it while i had it i was very inpressed with them and found them very confidence inspiring. I think i would have tryed to pilot powers next as duel compound but i do a lot of miles, will did!
____________________
99 RS125 --> 02 SV650s --> 03 Speed Four --> 92 RXS100 --> 93 CB400sf --> 01 CB600f Hornet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Villers
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:21 - 23 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for all the advice. Ive went with what G, the bike shop and my gut instict was and settled for the 014's. The bike shop Ive been to today is about a mile away from where I crashed,when I told the woman there what had happened she said there had been five or six similar incidents and blamed the trucks that were part of the crew for the golf course. Wont be going around there again for a while!

Wink
____________________
RS125 > CBR6 > SV650S > ZX636R > GSX1300RZ Hayabusa > 06 RSVR Mille > SV1000S > Street Triple 765 RS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

extreme3d
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:27 - 23 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
extreme3d wrote:

An 020 is a road tyre - says it all really Wink

If you're actually riding decently fast on the road it's nice to know that it's unlikely to be your tyre that lets you down.

I've found (and gone a tad past Confused) the limits of a rear 020 on the road; I've heard others say some rather uncomplimentory things about the front and from my little experience of them, definitely wouldn't have a front 020 for 'spirited' road riding.

While I probably would be riding within their limits when they are warmed up 95% of the time on the road, I'd like to be sure that if I do something stupid there's plenty more grip to make up for my stupidity.


Which is why i said i'm changing - I never said I was going to stick with them, nor did I say I like them. I had them fitted from a lack of choice in the garage when I got a puncture. To be fair they have been good tyres and have only slipped a few times but as I grip the bars lightly there was little risk of a highside. However I want something stickier that still lasts a while, so Conti Road Attacks it is. I scrubbed the chicken Strips off a mates (Black Knights) Blackbird fitted with Conti Road A's so I have a lot of faith in them.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 142 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.8 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 110.93 Kb