|
|
| Author |
Message |
| JAMSXR |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 JAMSXR World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Jan 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| craigs23 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 craigs23 Mr Muscle

Joined: 08 Jun 2005 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| JAMSXR |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 JAMSXR World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Jan 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Mr Nice Guy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mr Nice Guy World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Jul 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 14:56 - 09 Jan 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Damn google images for foiling my *insert witty picture of glamouress sexy Italian twin models that G loves* that I was planning posting!!!! ____________________ Suzuki GSX-R750K4 ~ Mivv GP |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Mr Nice Guy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mr Nice Guy World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Jul 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 14:58 - 09 Jan 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Surely a 748/749 would be a bit of a come down after a thou four?
Speaking of point and squirt only, it very well may be superior in the handling etc etc ____________________ Suzuki GSX-R750K4 ~ Mivv GP |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| JAMSXR |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 JAMSXR World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Jan 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Mr Nice Guy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mr Nice Guy World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Jul 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 15:09 - 09 Jan 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Isn't Half Lyfe selling his 749?
If you're brave...  ____________________ Suzuki GSX-R750K4 ~ Mivv GP |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Barry_M2 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Barry_M2 World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Sep 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 15:11 - 09 Jan 2009 Post subject: Re: Do I want a Ducati? |
 |
|
| JAMSXR wrote: | The two Ducati’s in my price range are the 748 and the 749, would be good to hear from anyone who has owned/ridden one, and to get their thoughts.
Cheers |
I had a 916 (1997) as a track bike last year. They have loads of midrange grunt, loads of pull out of corners, but the rev's just seem to run out too quick/low, but you can get good drive in any gear as long as you're above 3k rpm.
It was so small and light you can throw it around like a 250 2-stroke. It sounded f**king awesome!
Would I get another one?...... Yes, but I'd go for a 998.
I've always been into my IL4 bikes and wanted to try a Ducati. You hear people saying they hate them, would never get another one, but I would. I loved it, was a superb bike and VERY easy to work on / service, and lovely to ride......
4th gear pootling along at 40, quick blip of the throttle and you're over 70. I ended up just accelerating just to hear the Termigoni's singing!!!
 ____________________ ZXR750R (M2) - For the road.
CBR1000 RR4 - For the track.
https://www.bikechatforums.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4332 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Barry_M2 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Barry_M2 World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Sep 2004 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 15:20 - 09 Jan 2009 Post subject: Re: Do I want a Ducati? |
 |
|
The 748 actually has power delivery a bit like a litre four, just toned down quite a lot.
For me the power delivery would make sense in a naked bike, but not so much in a hunched-over focused race chassis... same with the 675.
If you 'Just want to own a Ducati', then asking other people might not be the answer .
Some people have done this and come back saying they love the bike (at which I point I suggest they would love any bike they spent a load of money on), while I've known others to have it up for sale with in a few weeks because "it's boring"!
No pics of 'good' Italian twins as I'm in an office, I'm afraid.
I dislike twins and doubly so overpriced ones, whereever they come from (I have actually been seen recommending the RSV-R on occasion!)
If you want 'character', you could always get a new GSXR1000, then use the lowest power mode and chuck a bag of bolts under the rear seat, while slowing down the handling a bit . |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| D O G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 D O G World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 15:24 - 09 Jan 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
I love Ducatis, but I would never buy one...
EDIT:
Well actually I would buy one, but only as a second/third bike, once I already had a nice performance bike.
I wouldn't buy a contemporary model though, they're for the poseurs.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| JAMSXR |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 JAMSXR World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Jan 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Barry_M2 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Barry_M2 World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Sep 2004 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| JAMSXR |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 JAMSXR World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Jan 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Barry_M2 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Barry_M2 World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Sep 2004 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarkJ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarkJ World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Apr 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Barry_M2 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Barry_M2 World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Sep 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 16:05 - 09 Jan 2009 Post subject: Re: Do I want a Ducati? |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| JAMSXR |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 JAMSXR World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Jan 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Barry_M2 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Barry_M2 World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Sep 2004 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarkJ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarkJ World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Apr 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 16:28 - 09 Jan 2009 Post subject: Re: Do I want a Ducati? |
 |
|
Nope, mine didn't have the associated 'trendy' status that a lot of Ducatis have, thankfully .
The point was that cheap and even making money from them doesn't mean they weren't overpriced in the first place!
I would call the power delivery and handling of a Ducati 'boring' compared to the alternatives available.
I prefer a bike that encourages me to turn the throttle more, lean that bit more; while the Ducati it seems does what it's told (quite well) but no more.
I'm not actually a fan of litre bikes generally either, as they too easily satisfy my needs.
As I've gone on about before, I suspect aural stimulation is partly to do with one of the reasons I like fours; there's more of an obvious response to when you are making the most of the engine than on a twin.
I'd always had the impression the big Aprilias at least had better 'quality' than the big Ducatis if anything. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| JAMSXR |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 JAMSXR World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Jan 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Barry_M2 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Barry_M2 World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Sep 2004 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 17 years, 267 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|