|
|
| Author |
Message |
| The Original Muzza |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 The Original Muzza World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Jan 2009 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 12:01 - 24 Jun 2009 Post subject: My bike skills have hit a brick wall... |
 |
|
...literally.
Was out on a 200 mile hoon yesterday, through the backroads of Braemar, Balmoral sort of area. Found the most twisty and hilly of twisty roads, I'm sure some from the Scotchland section know them well. Well, I didn't.
Was haring round some corners beyond my abilities and pulling them off, but then got to a sharp right angled corner, thought it didn't look so sharp, leaned, realised I wasn't far enough over, leaned some more, shat pants, hit a wall side on at ~50mph, catapulted back onto road.
I got off the bike to inspect the damage, some old feller on a cruiser stopped and asked if I was ok. Then I looked down and saw it. THE GUSHING. My clutch casing had completely decimated, spilling precious oil over the pavement.
Old dude points at foot "Are you OK mate?"
Looked down and the casing had pierced my boot. Miraculously it only skuffed my toe and I was fine. Protectors on the boot were worn down quite a bit.
Anyhoo, the RAC value their members and only took 4 hours to come and recover my bike. Thumbs up to the people of Bridge of Cally Post Office for use of their phone, as Three have no reception down there, and the manager of the Bridge of Cally hotel, whom I had a laugh with until my girlfriend came 100 miles to recover me with an angry face.
The bike's in Perth now, about 80 miles away from me  ____________________ Current Bikes: Husqvarna Svartpilen 401 (2020)
Former Bikes: Honda MSX125 (2014), BMW Funduro (1996), Honda VT500 (1983), Yamaha FZR250 (1989), Suzuki GZ125 Marauder(2005),:Triumph TT600 (2002) (stolen)
From then on, I and the bicycle feelings deeper. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mooserx |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mooserx Nearly there...

Joined: 14 Jul 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Mr Nice Guy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mr Nice Guy World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Jul 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 12:09 - 24 Jun 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Awesome roads there fella, and bits of it miles away from anything so you are lucky in several ways. ____________________ Suzuki GSX-R750K4 ~ Mivv GP |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Acemastr |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Acemastr World Chat Champion
Joined: 01 Oct 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Valver |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Valver World Chat Champion

Joined: 31 Jan 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 12:12 - 24 Jun 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Awww sounds nasty mate but glad you're ok.
How far out of Bridge of Cally did it happen? I think I can picture the wall you hit, it's one of my most regular roads  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tonka |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tonka World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Jun 2008 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 12:21 - 24 Jun 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Definitely a case of 'you live and learn'
Glad you're ok and managed to laugh it off, even if your girlfriend didn't - she was probably just relieved not to be picking you out of the wall in bits, but showed it in a strange girly-way
Careful next time and hope the bike's feeling better soon too  ____________________ 'The core of a man's spirit comes from new experiences'
Suzuki SV650S (Clean); Yamaha XT250 Serow (Dirty) |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Mr Hammers |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mr Hammers World Chat Champion

Joined: 10 Jul 2008 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 12:27 - 24 Jun 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Quote: | thought it didn't look so sharp, leaned, realised I wasn't far enough over, leaned some more, shat pants, |
At first I read that as 'thought it didn't look so sharp, laughed, realised I wasn't far enough over, laughed some more, shat pants,'
In my defence, you generally seem to be quite a jolly chap, so....
Anyway, glad you're ok, and hope the damage isn't too bad! ____________________ A Guide To Powerbands |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| The Original Muzza |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 The Original Muzza World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Jan 2009 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 12:33 - 24 Jun 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Valver |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Valver World Chat Champion

Joined: 31 Jan 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Andy C |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Andy C Tree Seeking Missile

Joined: 26 Apr 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 14:07 - 24 Jun 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Least your ok!!!
Since downloading and printing a PDF TT600/Speed Four service manual I have found jobs on the bike much easier and seem to be able to start and finish them now!!
Free Download
A great way to get to know your bike better and will save a lot of money compared to a garage! ____________________ 99 RS125 --> 02 SV650s --> 03 Speed Four --> 92 RXS100 --> 93 CB400sf --> 01 CB600f Hornet |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| jack_zxr400 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 jack_zxr400 World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Jul 2008 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 14:19 - 24 Jun 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
if you kept leaning you would of been alright!
but then you musta been going at a good speed to need to lean that much on a corner like that
glad it was only the casing damaged- not a hard or expensive fix  ____________________ Previous Bike: ZXR 400
Current Bike: R6
Test Date: 8/8/2008-PASSED |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| The Original Muzza |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 The Original Muzza World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Jan 2009 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 14:57 - 24 Jun 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Don't think I was going too fast, I tend to stay about 75ish or less on roads I don't know. Maybe it was target fixation or maybe I'm just rank at cornering
Regardless I really should take some course on cornering at speed or keep it easy until I have more experience. Quite bad having to admit to you lot I can't corner for shit.
I already downloaded that manual, but I got frustrated as it was scanned in so couldn't search for stuff. Would've done the job myself, but my RAC cover didn't cover taking the bike home without charge, so sent it to get done at Perth motorcycles. ____________________ Current Bikes: Husqvarna Svartpilen 401 (2020)
Former Bikes: Honda MSX125 (2014), BMW Funduro (1996), Honda VT500 (1983), Yamaha FZR250 (1989), Suzuki GZ125 Marauder(2005),:Triumph TT600 (2002) (stolen)
From then on, I and the bicycle feelings deeper. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Suitor_Stu |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Suitor_Stu Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 19 Jun 2006 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Mr Nice Guy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mr Nice Guy World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Jul 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Mark65 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mark65 World Chat Champion

Joined: 16 May 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 20:01 - 24 Jun 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Glad your ok m8ty  ____________________ 07 Yamaha YBR125, 07 Honda CG125 , 15 CBR300R (Chocolate Crank, Deaded), 16 CB500FA, 19 Honda Forza 300, 70 Suzuki SV650 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Darth |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Darth World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Mar 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 05:08 - 25 Jun 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hope you are back on the road soon - with new boots!  ____________________ Harold_Shand wrote: I suppose it's like anything, you get your fingers burned when you start out, you learn from it and eventually become a complete arsehole about the whole thing. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| The Original Muzza |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 The Original Muzza World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Jan 2009 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 05:27 - 25 Jun 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Will hopefully have the bike back soonish. As for boots, I'll have to wait until I can afford another pair, and ride around in a scuffed, pierced boot until then.
Wish I'd gone back and inspected the wall, there is bound to be a Muzz shaped dent in it, along with a small fragment of my ego.
For anyone considering joining RAC: In continuation of my disgruntledness at the RAC, I will add that they told me it would be an hour till someone got to me, then I phoned back 1 and a half hours later to be told that it'd be another 2 till they sent a contractor out. Also, never get only roadside assistance. There's never a motorcycle garage within 10 miles, so you will pay something. I am upgrading to nationwide recovery, then rejoining the AA when it runs out. On a plus side, they did say (at the same time as informing me of the delay) that I can get 15 quid of food at the hotel and send them the receipts. (I just hope a small sandwich and 4 tennents counts as food) ____________________ Current Bikes: Husqvarna Svartpilen 401 (2020)
Former Bikes: Honda MSX125 (2014), BMW Funduro (1996), Honda VT500 (1983), Yamaha FZR250 (1989), Suzuki GZ125 Marauder(2005),:Triumph TT600 (2002) (stolen)
From then on, I and the bicycle feelings deeper. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 17 years, 106 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|