|
|
| Author |
Message |
| JonB |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 JonB Afraid of Mileage

Joined: 03 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 08:52 - 23 Jun 2009 Post subject: Obtaining certain qualifications online... |
 |
|
OK.
I'm a geek and I know shitloads about computers in general, but all I officially have to my name is a D in ICT, primarily cause I mucked about in my ICT sessions. However I feel despite all my unofficial experience this particular requirement for a lot of the jobs I have been looking at is holding me back.
Basically I need to able to quickly obtain a legal qualification that can be done very quickly and hopefully at home/online. Something like a ECDL (European Computer Driving Licence) or RSA II skillz of somesort.
It's wholly ridiculous cause I know I know more about computers than 90% of the working population.  ____________________ Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| The Shaggy D.A. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 The Shaggy D.A. Super Spammer

Joined: 12 Sep 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| s44678 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 s44678 Guest
|
|
| Back to top |
| |
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarJay |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarJay But it's British!

Joined: 15 Sep 2003 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Stevie B |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Stevie B Crazy Courier

Joined: 22 Apr 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 09:58 - 23 Jun 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
ICS you can.  ____________________ Past: Katana 50, NSR125RR, FZR600r, CB-1 Present: TRX850 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| NSR Mick |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 NSR Mick World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 Jun 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| JonB |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 JonB Afraid of Mileage

Joined: 03 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 10:23 - 23 Jun 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
| MarJay wrote: |
Without searching, do you know what a north-bridge is? |
On the motherboard, yes. But i'm not sure that would be a question that would ever come up in any of the jobs I am applying for. I'm not applying for an IT job, just the jobs I am applying for require proof of a basic comprehension of computer software. As such I shouldn't need to babble on about motherboards all day long.
I should have guessed that as soon as I posted a thread about jobs people decide to take a snipe.
As if I ever said that I should get a job because I know stuff about computers, it's just frustrating that I need to get these qualifications, even though I probably already know how to do what I am about to learn. Yes I have done research on the net, but I was looking for experiences. Hence why I asked on a public forum.
If any of you was confused, the skills I need to prove are software skills, basically Microsoft Office packages etc and not hardware skills, where I probably do have more experience. ____________________ Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| s44678 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 s44678 Guest
|
|
| Back to top |
| |
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| JonB |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 JonB Afraid of Mileage

Joined: 03 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 10:55 - 23 Jun 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Administrative roles mainly. Usually having either an ECDL or RSA Stage II is an essential requirement. Of course in the cover letter I prove I have competency with the relative programs etc, however I wonder if in this competitive market at the moment whether it is enough.  ____________________ Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Barry_M2 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Barry_M2 World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Sep 2004 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| JonB |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 JonB Afraid of Mileage

Joined: 03 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 11:12 - 23 Jun 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
I always fuck up a post with an arrogant statement.
It's strictly not true, but meh. ____________________ Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Barry_M2 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Barry_M2 World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Sep 2004 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| JonB |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 JonB Afraid of Mileage

Joined: 03 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 11:33 - 23 Jun 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
I say experience, I suppose it is more of an interest. I have computing as a hobby and I suppose when you have an interest in something you pick up more knowledge. I admit I am probably a little bit shaky with most stuff, expecially Excel and Access and so i'd definately need to patch up on that, but i've found a course that can do that anyway, pretty much decided to go for an ECDL course anyway.
I know more about PC hardware than software and so maybe a course would be a good thing.
I dunno, early Tuesday morning grumpiness and now I have smelt and tasted the coffee (hmmm Mocha) and yes I am a twat.
I am just sick of unemployment, but then I guess i'm not alone, must persevere. ____________________ Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ichy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ichy World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Jul 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 12:13 - 23 Jun 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Ive never been asked to prove any of my qualifications, the interview should be enough for them to decide. If that fails then they always have the trial period to fall back on.
Just put 'Extensive knowledge of Microsoft and other software packages' and make sure your CV is formatted professionally! ____________________ https://www.metacafe.com/watch/1972097/how_to_behave_on_a_forum/ |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Fnatic |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Fnatic World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 May 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 12:54 - 23 Jun 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Watch that channel Dave on Freeview for about an hour. At least 20 companies offering IT qualifications online and at home that will apparently get you straight into a job.
Seriously, I'm kind of the same as you. My IT teacher hated me as I did no coursework for 2 years then did all of it in a week and got an A. My expected grade was an A, as well. Seems like a bit of a no brainer to put me on the higher paper? Nope, she put me on foundation. I got nearly 100% if I remember but all it counts for is a C.
I've just finished a two term course at college for a BTEC National Award in IT Web Development which is worth 1 A-level and fills up my CV that bit more. I think IT people on their CV's list their attributes more than their qualifications. For example they'll put HTML; PHP; C++/C#; VB6; Delphi and so on. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| JonB |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 JonB Afraid of Mileage

Joined: 03 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Fnatic |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Fnatic World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 May 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| GhostRider |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 GhostRider World Chat Champion

Joined: 31 Jan 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 17:24 - 23 Jun 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
You think thats bad, I'd like someone to explain to me why I was told I needed to be 21 and have held a clean driving licence for 3 years to be able to pack boxes in a warehouse/factory, despite being told there was no driving involved in the job and there never would be. Was the same for loads of assembly line jobs.
To be honest I'd just do some reading up on the qualifications, see what the learning material is, and then just lie about it, I know from your background that such admin jobs aren't exactly the dream career so who cares if you get found out (which is unlikely since if you are doing the job fine then they have no reason to question).
Depends if they ask to see certificates - I've never been asked to produce proof of anything in an interview, that includes proof of me having a degree at all (and this was for the FSS as a DNA analyst, so go figure...). It was the same in the interview for my current job too.
Trouble is, in this job climate, with the number of people applying for any one position, stating that you're badass on all MS stuff in words probably isn't enough, and they are stating that the other qualifications are necessary just to rapidly shortlist down, wheat from the chaff type thing, I would imagine this is especially true with agencies. So just state that you got all that in the bag anyway, and an interview will allow you to be convincing in that you are competent and know your way round MS software.
Then, if you get the job, brush up in the meantime (i.e Excel for dummies etc) just to get the basics in, the rest is just freestylin....
GhostRider ____________________ I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Clanger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Clanger Stirrer

Joined: 27 May 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 20:56 - 24 Jun 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
When I was in India, I met a fellow traveller who had just been on an all-inclusive Microsoft related 10 week intensive training course in Deli. Basically you pay something like £5k for the course, and are put up in a posh hotel and get taken to the centre and at the end of it get your qualification and a free holiday in India.
I am in touch with her still, I could find out details if you are interested. She has got herself a job because of it in London. But I'm sure you could do a search on the 'net and find out the details for yourself.
They may do cheaper courses elsewhere.  ____________________ Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 17 years, 107 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|