|
|
| Author |
Message |
| craigs23 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 craigs23 Mr Muscle

Joined: 08 Jun 2005 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 20:21 - 27 Dec 2010 Post subject: Going down in the World |
 |
|
Haven't posted here in a while due to a crazy last few weeks at work, not helped by the recent weather.
All change once again at the stables. Giving this little beasty a go for daily commuting next year.
It is a vile colour, it has almost no power to speak of and comes adorned with comedy 'Ninja' stickers.
But it does 80mpg, has a 17 litre tank, fairing to keep some of the chill off, is pretty comfy and is claimed to even nudge the ton (seen an indicated 95 already).
I've spent a couple of days cleaning the bike up, as the thing had 11k's worth of new-biker abuse smothered over it, but nothing I couldn't apply a little elbow grease to. Added a few practical modifications along the way as well.
https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y51/whers84/IMG_0229.jpg
https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y51/whers84/IMG_0234.jpg
https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y51/whers84/IMG_0241.jpg |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Al |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Al World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 Feb 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 20:34 - 27 Dec 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Do you buy all your bikes from dealers? surely it must cost you a bit to keep changing them if you do.
The ZXR250 will probably make quite a good little commuter, but I really can't see what it offers that any of the other many commuters you've bought and sold recently didn't.
I aspire to have the same turn over rate of women as you do bikes but sadly I'm lacking options  ____________________ Yamaha FZR400RR 3tj
My Instagram Thingy |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| craigs23 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 craigs23 Mr Muscle

Joined: 08 Jun 2005 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 20:41 - 27 Dec 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Depends on the bike really.
True, I lost a bit on the MT03, but I was always going to take a hit when it comes to buying new. The majority of bikes I've had were already used, so the worst I recall doing on those is breaking even.
My tastes aren't always logical and I have become a little sporadic on occasion. I guess I can only relate to the reasons I chopped in the MT - wanted something cheaper long term, something with a good fuel range, something with a bit of fairing/comfort in whatever weather condition, something easy to work on, but also something that could comfortably cruise at the National speed limit, or offer a bit of a grin whatever speed I wish to bimble around on.
In short, I wanted something like a CBR125, but with a little more oomph. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| P.addy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 P.addy Red Rocket
Joined: 14 Feb 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 21:13 - 27 Dec 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| delvey91 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 delvey91 Crazy Courier

Joined: 05 Aug 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| P.addy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 P.addy Red Rocket
Joined: 14 Feb 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| delvey91 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 delvey91 Crazy Courier

Joined: 05 Aug 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 22:12 - 27 Dec 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| P.addy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 P.addy Red Rocket
Joined: 14 Feb 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 08:52 - 28 Dec 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Dear god..
It actually looks alot smaller than I thought it would be  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| craigs23 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 craigs23 Mr Muscle

Joined: 08 Jun 2005 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Irezumi aka Reuben |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Irezumi aka Reuben Carrot Top
Joined: 28 Sep 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 14:15 - 28 Dec 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
So, still lost in your quest for the ideal bike then?  ____________________ Pictorgraphicalfantastical |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| P.addy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 P.addy Red Rocket
Joined: 14 Feb 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Andy C |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Andy C Tree Seeking Missile

Joined: 26 Apr 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Charlie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Charlie World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 May 2007 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 10:40 - 29 Dec 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Tis a nice bike you've got there, I think 250s are perfect for non-pillion use on the road, although as soon as you chuck a pillion on they aren't all that. Every time you get a new bike it makes me think I should get a new one, you must have had about 6 bikes while I've had this one!
Do you not fancy something like this? Clicky. Guy in the shop showed me a cool trick with it. He got a 20p coin and balanced it on edge on the fuel filler cap. He then started the bike and revved it a bit and it still stood on edge. As the revs went right up it began to spin round in a circle. It was a very nice bike and technology sounds interesting  ____________________ Past: Honda x8rs, Honda City fly, Honda Hornet 250, Honda VFR750, Yamaha xt600e.
Current: Honda CBR929RR & Yamaha XT660Z Tenere |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| craigs23 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 craigs23 Mr Muscle

Joined: 08 Jun 2005 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 11:28 - 29 Dec 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
If another Superfour came up, especially a later V-Tec, I'd snap it up no doubt. Hope the bike's okay Andy, I think I miss it more than I did my CB1.
The quest continues Reuben. Still, it's as fun finding out what isn't suitable as to find what is.
Strangely, I have got a bit of a penchant for crap bikes, ever since I got my CG a couple of years back. No idea why really.
Hence the interest in a novice track day. At least I could give some CBR125s some grief  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Bike Bunker |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Bike Bunker World Chat Champion

Joined: 28 Oct 2010 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| craigs23 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 craigs23 Mr Muscle

Joined: 08 Jun 2005 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 18:40 - 29 Dec 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
I haven't had the bike long enough really, best ask me in a month's time or two.
However, I doubt I'd recommend the bike to a friend as the market for them is very limited.
As a new rider, having just passed your test, you're better off getting a big bike and restricting it down, rather than opt for the 250 ninja.
As a commuter, yes it's cheap, yes it's a little quicker than a 125, yes it's got fairing for a little more weather protection, but a genuinely good bike for commuting? Probably not. You'll get more for your money from a CB500 or something, which would be less to buy (so might end up about the same when factoring in running costs over a year).
But for me? Well, it's made in by child labourers from Thailand, to a very low budget. People will regularly take the piss trying to work out why anyone would spend money on such a thing. The tyres are thinner than a R125's. And the dash is straight out of a scrapped Austin Metro. Plus it comes in snot green, that's never, ever, been a good colour.
So yeah, it's brilliant. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Damon |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Damon World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Aug 2007 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 12:34 - 03 Jan 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
What track did you go to? Was it your first trackday? |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| bEN_ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 bEN_ World Chat Champion

Joined: 17 Dec 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 14:31 - 03 Jan 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
I quite like it, i bet there's alot of fun to be had in it, and besides you probably don't want more power at this time of year anyway  ____________________ 2010 Ducati 848 Dark
Lamp Post Enthusiast |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| rac3r |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 rac3r World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Sep 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| rac3r |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 rac3r World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Sep 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| delvey91 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 delvey91 Crazy Courier

Joined: 05 Aug 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| swiftb |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 swiftb World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Oct 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 00:01 - 08 Jan 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
That seems a bizzare choice for someone who has a full licence - access to any bike etc. Its the kind of bike that I thought would only appeal to 17yr olds with too much money and a severe lack of sense -
do let us know how you get on with it and if its actually a capable machine or just a moped in a tracksuit  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| craigs23 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 craigs23 Mr Muscle

Joined: 08 Jun 2005 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 10:13 - 08 Jan 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Bizarre, yes, but that just adds to the hilarity of the thing. Most people who knows their bikes wonders why on Earth anyone (new test passer or not), would spend money on a bike like this and those who aren't too bike-knowledgeable (people at work for example), consider it as 'a gheyer version of a bike their mate's/brother's/wife's/etc got'. Genius.
Well, I have now completed a week's worth of commuting (well, 4 days), plus a couple to rides out with some mates - those who just had to get out for a ride over Christmas.
The bike's not bad, well, that's a lie, for all intensive purposes, when comparing it to the majority of bikes I've had over the years, it's crap. It's pretty awful, slow, as expected, the suspension's cheap and somewhat harsh and choppy, the brakes feel like they either need sintered pads (if they haven't already) or some braided lines to get them to bite, or maybe a decent clean. It has now power. I'm pretty certain even my CBF250 had better low down and midrange pull. The Ninja needs about 10k to finally get a move on, and even then, I reckon something like a Peugeot 106 could out drag it.
Loving it.
Loving riding crap bikes once again. I don't know what it is, but they make me smile when it's hard work to muster up a mere 90 on the dash,or the bike feels like it's nearing its limits in damp conditions, taking a mini roundabout at nearly-too-fast-a-speed on commuter tyres (although the BT45s feel very good in the wet). A bike that even makes me smile when the weather is truly horrendous out, or one that makes me look forward to the cold, dark ride home, or one that makes me feel like riding it whenever I can, ticks a lot of boxes in my "I Love Biking because..." list.
Day to day, it keeps up with the traffic and although overtakes need to be planned, it can make them safely - passing the 40/50mph stroller on the way to work requires a down change to 4th or 5th, revs up to 10k, and a bit of patience. Or a lot of patience if the road has an incline. Headlights are better than expected, especially on full beam. Comfort is good, a fairing seems to make more difference than expected to body core temperature, although the seat is so low to provide a somewhat cramped leg room (and I'm not exactly the tallest of people). The fuel light came on at a little over 200 miles from the mix of thrashing and commuting (average sort of use I'd expect), at which point it took 13 litres - around 70mpg from my arithmetic.
I've also fitted a can, as the standard heatshield kept getting in the way with my foot on the right peg and it was just a little too quiet for my liking. Although the new can is just a little too noisy, even with a baffle in, it will do. Makes the bike sound like half an NC30, especially when the revs climb over 10k. It's added a little more 'character' to the thing, as I'm constantly aiming to get the can wailing as the bike accelerates, or rumbling and popping as any booming twin does on the overrun.
So, that's the practical / fun criteria ticked off. I've bonded with the bike, honeymoon period it might be, but really enjoying the thing. I'm more determined as ever to do a little touring on the little Ninja (perhaps down to the west country later on in spring or something), and I've so got to get a track day or two done on it for shits-and-giggles sake. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| DXB |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 DXB Scooby Slapper

Joined: 11 Dec 2008 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| craigs23 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 craigs23 Mr Muscle

Joined: 08 Jun 2005 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 15 years, 267 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|