Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Thundercat New Front Pads Judder

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

MAR5H7
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:56 - 03 Sep 2012    Post subject: Thundercat New Front Pads Judder Reply with quote

Hey there

Iv known for a while my front pads needed replacing, as there was little to no friction on the brake and the MOT inspector hinted towards them a few months back.

I also noticed a Juddering feel when I was using the front brake, the more I pulled the more noticeable it became. so I stopped using it until I got the new pads as I thought this would solve it.... I was wrong

I never had a problem when I first purchased the bike but then it just suddenly appeared around 2 months ago

With the new pads, they are sticking to the disc and pulling away is rather a chore on the bike, like it doesnt want to go but then budges through :/

As for the calipers, when removing the old pads, I noticed on each caliper, on one side, the pots were stuck, and to back this up, one of the old pads still had about 1/2 the graphite on it still

Anyone have any ideas/ solutions??? would really love my front brake back smooth and to not put more stress on the engine from pulling away at lights

Thanks
____________________
Ex: CBR 125 R 06', ZXR 400 96' (RIP), Bandit 650 06'
Owned: SRAD 600 97'
Current: YZF Thundercat 600 96'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nick 50
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:34 - 03 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the pistons are stuck, clean them. If I were you I would strip the calipers, clean them, stick pads back in and then bleed the system.

Have you checked the brake discs? Wheel alignment? (not sure if this would cause the symptoms you mention) Front wheel bearings? Head Stock bearings?

How old are the tyres? Is one side more worn than the other?
____________________
Current Bikes: ZX7r 97 (Black Beauty), VFR400 NC24 (The banana)
Previous Bikes: Aprilia Tuono 03 (The Beast), CBR600f (97)
First bike: A GZ125 Lemon.......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MAR5H7
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:42 - 03 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick 50 wrote:
If the pistons are stuck, clean them. If I were you I would strip the calipers, clean them, stick pads back in and then bleed the system.

Have you checked the brake discs? Wheel alignment? (not sure if this would cause the symptoms you mention) Front wheel bearings? Head Stock bearings?

How old are the tyres? Is one side more worn than the other?


Thats what I feared I might need to do, but if its gotta b done, its gotta be done

Tyre condition - desperately need replacing, however its worn evenly, not more one side than the other

If it helps, one of the pot seals im pretty sure has perished, to back if up, while replacing the pads, I noticed fluid come onto my wheel during the process... it only happened once, maybe this could be the cause of uneven stopping???
____________________
Ex: CBR 125 R 06', ZXR 400 96' (RIP), Bandit 650 06'
Owned: SRAD 600 97'
Current: YZF Thundercat 600 96'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
unitynotsocri... This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

janner_10
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Sep 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:50 - 03 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rebuilt all my calipers on my last bike. Its not that bad of a job to do, a good mornings work but fairly straight forward.

I would purchase genuine Yamaha seals though if you go for it, a couple on here in the past have have problems with other makes. Also, find a small watch makers type screwdriver, makes a great tool for scraping away the crap behind where the seals sit.
____________________
Yamaha FZS600 (Now gone to heaven) > CBR600F4i (SOLD) > '99 YZF-R1
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nick 50
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:02 - 03 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I see the front brake as the most critical mechanism on a bike. Your bike has something wrong which means it wont go, not a big deal. having something wrong which means it wont stop properly Shocked .......... that's how I look at it.

Stripping the calipers, cleaning the pistons, fitting new o-rings doesn't take that long like janner has stated.

Not only will you have much better brakes, but you will have the piece of mind knowing that you sorted it and they are spot on.
____________________
Current Bikes: ZX7r 97 (Black Beauty), VFR400 NC24 (The banana)
Previous Bikes: Aprilia Tuono 03 (The Beast), CBR600f (97)
First bike: A GZ125 Lemon.......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper



Joined: 22 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:31 - 03 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had something similar on my Thunderace - it turned out the front tyre was the culprit.

Although the tread was just about within its limits, the tyre was old and hadn't had the pressure checked regularly. This lead to the tyre developing subtle but visible bulges around the centre of the tread. When the brake was whacked on hard it vibrated like hell !

I'd even bought a set of disks to go on the front as I was convinced the disk was warped, but as soon as the tyre was changed the problem vanished.
____________________
1988 Kawasaki KMX 200

Previous: Yamaha YZF1000, ZZR600, KMX200, DT50, KX80, CG125, PF50
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MAR5H7
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:41 - 04 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick 50 wrote:
Personally I see the front brake as the most critical mechanism on a bike. Your bike has something wrong which means it wont go, not a big deal. having something wrong which means it wont stop properly.


I know this is a big problem, dont get me wrong, but i dont ride erratically and always leave plenty of time to stop, if need me I can use the brake and it will work

as for it not going, the bike itself is fine, its when I pull the front brake to stop at lights, the pads get stuck to the discs and the bike is struggling to go, but after a second the pads are forced back and it runs fine until the next time I touch the front brake :/

I do want to sort them, but Im no expert at calipers. I know how to pop the pots out and that is it lol :S
____________________
Ex: CBR 125 R 06', ZXR 400 96' (RIP), Bandit 650 06'
Owned: SRAD 600 97'
Current: YZF Thundercat 600 96'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

el_oso
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:03 - 04 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

popping the sticky pistons on them blue spot calipers is a bitch!
There really isn't many/any complicated parts to the part of the brakes. It's just the hassle more than anything. If you have patience, it is easy as pie.
pop the piston out > remove seals and replace as necessary > clean the groove where the seal sits with a poking/scraping device > put new seals back in > out the piston back in;
like everyone else has mentioned fairly easy. Just takes a bit of time
The real pain with these brake is the bleeding of an empty system. I had to use a syringe to push the fluid back through the system to get a good hard lever
____________________
Duke 390
Previous: '05 XR125L | '96 XJ600S Diversion |'05 Suzuki GSXR1000 | '05 Honda CBR125-R | '97 YZF 600R Thundercat | '11 Honda CBR250
Car: Jeep Wrangler 4.0L
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 33 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.61 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 64.6 Kb