Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Motorcycle Journalist Kevin Ash has died.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:57 - 23 Jan 2013    Post subject: Motorcycle Journalist Kevin Ash has died. Reply with quote

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/9820469/Telegraph-motorcycling-correspondent-Kevin-Ash-dies.html

Shit. Sad
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

garth
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:59 - 23 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this on twitter - BMW won't release what happened though.
____________________
You ain't a has been if you never was
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

LockyUK
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 22 Dec 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:02 - 23 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn i liked ashonbikes too :/ shame...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

highwayrider
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 29 Dec 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:20 - 23 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.I.P man. Motorcyclists are more of a brotherhood than othersports, mainly because of the sheer danger.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

nightshaddow
Nearly there...



Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:24 - 23 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.I.P. Sad
____________________
"WHAT DO YOU MEAN 100 MPH THATS IMPOSSIBLE Its chinese OFFICER."
Current rides CB 125 TDE(the next project) NS125RK ( now on the road ) CB125TDC (soon to be project 17) melody ( the nephews )
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:03 - 23 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crikey. When I saw where they were doing the launch, I did actually think "Isn't that a bit risky?"

I never imagined this though.

Didn't read a lot of his stuff, but he didn't seem like a twat. I guess that's a RIP from me.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:07 - 23 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a shame, but it is a risky business.

RIP Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sidewinder
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:10 - 23 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.I.P Sad

Such a shame loved reading his stuff Thumbs Up
____________________
"Nitrous is like a cheap hooker, you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

thepuma
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:16 - 23 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP.... Sad

Makes you wonder what did actually happen.
____________________
YBR125 (SOLD) - CBR250R(SOLD) - CBR650F(SOLD) Current - Street Triple
765 RS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:12 - 23 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just reading his articles now on www.ashonbikes.com.

Well, damn. The reviews are crammed with detail, the guy clearly knew his stuff and cared about his subject.

Seemed decent too, following up and engaging very reasonably in the comments.

Some absolutely bang on opinion/editorials.

I wish I'd discovered him sooner.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rigga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:25 - 23 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Crikey. When I saw where they were doing the launch, I did actually think "Isn't that a bit risky?"


Why? What were they doing?

RIP to the dude Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Moo.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:00 - 23 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP Sad sad to see such a prominent figure go. Do hope they release the details, does get you curious!
____________________
A2 Passed 18/6/10
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Valentino Mossy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:11 - 23 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I'm just reading his articles now on www.ashonbikes.com.

Well, damn. The reviews are crammed with detail, the guy clearly knew his stuff and cared about his subject.

Seemed decent too, following up and engaging very reasonably in the comments.

Some absolutely bang on opinion/editorials.

I wish I'd discovered him sooner.


I joined shortly after getting the duke when a friend from fb told me about the site. I mainly lurk and not post.
But my first few posts about the duke, he answered and then went out of his way to find the original test reports about the 916's from his own collection of tests he did....
Top bloke and very informative !

Rip Kev.
____________________
Ducati 916,white framed corse replica https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=239309
Ducati 160 monza jnr soon to be cafe racer
https://blauschatfroums.freeforums.net/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ed Case
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:15 - 23 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame, I used to read his 'bit' in the Telegraph motoring supplement on a saturday. Knowledgeable, direct, trustworthy, and believeable.............RIP good man. Crying or Very sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

carlosthejack...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:36 - 23 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really sad news. The man spoke the truth, and was never afraid to speak it either. Beautifully outspoken.
____________________
Responsibility. It's a difficult reality for some. I'm running the 2014 Sheffield Half Marathon on behalf of Bluebell Wood Childrens Hospice. Please sponsor me, even if it's just a quid.
DonnyBrago: "I think you may be confusing rain and napalm..." Paulington: "It's not what you ride, it's how you ride it."
Current rides: '05 VFR800 VTEC, '57 Mondeo 1.8 TDCi #58LEGEND
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rigga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:38 - 23 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to see peoples opinions of him on here compared to pistonheads, sums up pistonheads really!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

WannaBeDude
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:45 - 23 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top job now available - get your BCF CVs in quick Smile

RIP - ' lucky ' bike dude.
____________________
Jogging on, destination living.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:12 - 24 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rigga wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
Crikey. When I saw where they were doing the launch, I did actually think "Isn't that a bit risky?"

Why? What were they doing?

Launching the new R1200GS in the psuedo-sticks in South Africa.

I was thinking more of the risk of the bikes breaking down, but it's hardly the safest country to hoon around in, even - or perhaps especially - in a group.

Un-named UK journo wrote:
I've been getting more than a little spooked lately at press intros. Or should I say "the journalist GP". I've been at a point of not wanting to click into the mode needed to run with the pack. It's been invading my confidence and I've spent a lot of days thinking "I don't want to ride this fast on a public road anymore"


Source: Advrider, a sad thread where an advrider bloke was absolutely stoked to be invited out to the launch to give a 'regular rider' as well as a journo view. He was warned by BMW to not try to keep up with the pros. Sad
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 255 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.58 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 98.28 Kb