Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Top Gear talk of possible new bike noise laws

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 21:18 - 07 Aug 2005    Post subject: Top Gear talk of possible new bike noise laws Reply with quote

was watching today and they said the police are think of lowering the legal limit to 75db (could be different but defernetly lower than 87db) and if found with a bike that proved louder....it will be confiscated!! That would be so crap if that make it as a law.

views please..

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:20 - 07 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My views?

No c*nt is taking my bike. End of.

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 21:22 - 07 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i swear every law they come up with just encourage people to stop riding weather its new MOT for motorbikes, noise reglation, surly they should give bikers a bit of slack as they ease conjestion and better for the envoirment (kind of...)

White Noise
Mr Dudwee

PostPosted: 21:23 - 07 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

posted before here

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=55962

WN
Riding Tip #86: See God, then back off a bit: Problem is i haven't seen god yet, just a close up of tarmac on revett straight
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:48 - 07 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

There is no way that the UK can get away with lowering noise limits itself. They are part of EU homologation rules.

However they can quite happily confiscate the bikes. Far easier to hit a rider with an ASBO and confiscate a bike than it is to go out after dark and catch a bike thief.

All the best

Keith

dransy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:15 - 07 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they where to start confiscating bikes i think most bikers would take the law into there own hands as it is absaloutly rediculous.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 22:21 - 07 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know noisy exhausts annoy ppl but so are big noisy clattery lorries.

The only reason they are targeting bikers is that rich ppl who live in the countryside get annoyed by bikers passing through. Rich ppl get arsey cos they are used to having things there way and complain to their mp and throw things at bikers etc.

If a noisy lorry is allowed to drive down my street, then i'm allowed to drive noisily down some rich persons street.

The difference is that the a noisy bike attracts attention so its gets noticed instead of the old 'I didnt see u'. Its difficult not to notice a big lorry.

Mostly i just like a noisy exhaust and one day id like a big earth rumbler.

R6jonny
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:23 - 07 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

There is no way that the UK can get away with lowering noise limits itself. They are part of EU homologation rules.

However they can quite happily confiscate the bikes. Far easier to hit a rider with an ASBO and confiscate a bike than it is to go out after dark and catch a bike thief.

All the best

Keith

actually ASBO's are bloody hard to get hold of as it goes ....

...but dont let that shatter your anti-police illusions now hey Wink

Jonny
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

VTR SP1
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:24 - 07 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was in MCN this week.

SP1

White Noise
Mr Dudwee

PostPosted: 22:24 - 07 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you also know that the speed limit on some roads is not to do with safety, but due to the noise created by transport using it (things travelling faster = noiser)
WN
Riding Tip #86: See God, then back off a bit: Problem is i haven't seen god yet, just a close up of tarmac on revett straight

fast_tzr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 07 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah just watched that, I'm lucky I'm in Spain, none of that bullshit here, the police barely blink an eyelid when a hyper-noisy moped goes past, purely because theres too many to stop.

dibbster
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:32 - 07 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

VTR SP1 wrote:
It was in MCN this week.

SP1

Must be true then! Rolling Eyes Laughing

tonyyzf
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:34 - 07 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recent articles posted on the mOT testers Q&A webpage

MOTORCYCLE EXHAUST NOISE 1.
My bike exhaust silencer is an after market type which has no markings such as OEM No`s, E marks or race only. Admittedly it is slightly louder than the OEM silencer. Is this an MOT failure? John Martin
The regulations here have changed. Now, the only issue regarding the type of exhaust is that it should not contain any notice on it which indicates that it is not for road use. As far as the noise is concerned the regulations are quite wordy but boil down to the Tester being able to fail the exhaust if the noise emitted is “clearly in excess”, of what would normally be expected. MOTT.

MOTORCYCLE EXHAUST NOISE 2.
Is it correct that the regulations have been relaxed on non standard systems, I read that the Tester now decides if the exhaust is too loud, how would this stand in a police check? thanks
Yes, you are correct. As far as the exhaust is concerned the Tester can now decide whether or not the exhaust is acceptable. As far as a police check is concerned I am not in a position to assist as I do not know the rules the police apply. What I do know is that generally if the police believe a vehicle is not roadworthy they issue their own certificate and ask that the vehicle is checked for whatever items they think are of concern at an MOT Testing station. It should be noted that this is very much a police issue and actually has nothing to do with the MOT Testing Scheme and Testing Stations are not obliged to carry out the checks ­ and understandably charge if they do indeed check the items. The police have simply decided of their own volition to use MOT Testing Stations as the best way of checking that a vehicle’s ‘roadworthiness’ items are in acceptable condition.

The current issue from the Department for Transport doesn't mention anything about decibel limits!!
https://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_roads/documents/divisionhomepage/035443.hcsp

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:54 - 07 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

R6jonny wrote:

...but dont let that shatter your anti-police illusions now hey Wink

Jonny

Read it again. It was not anti police. Merely stating a fact. Initial stage of an ASBO is very easy to get. Catching a bike thief is difficult.

All the best

Keith

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 23:20 - 07 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I've never really understood the need to have an after-market exhaust that counts as a sonic weapon under the Geneva accords, I also fail to grasp why it's ok for cars and lorries to be just as noisy.

Poorly maintained diesel vans and buses can be as noisy, including the taxi firm that the little old dears downstairs from me use to get back from their extended family's houses at midnight when I'm up at 0530hrs the next morning.

Sounds like another piece of headline-grabbing legislation for the NIMBYs. Surely if there is a particular problem (such as Clarkson mentioned in his village) in an area, the police can use existing legislation to prosecute people, as could councils.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:45 - 07 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

R6jonny wrote:

The police man that gave one to me (see avatar) didn't seem to think so Neutral. I didn't consider I was doing anything anti-social at the time (the wheelie in the box hill overflow car park wasn't endangering anyone and I had a standard can on Smile ).

He had a big folder with them in and filled my name out in the appropriate bits.

Project9928
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:10 - 08 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this will just end up like the use of mobile phones while driving, the police will be all over every bike with a loud exhaust for about a month and then just loose intrest.

Shame I wish they would sort out all the boy racers with there big subs and booming exhausts, its all I hear out side my house.

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 00:17 - 08 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell them to move on politely twice, then on the third occasion lose your rag and tell them to fuck off. Worked for me.

TOM M
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:27 - 08 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
R6jonny wrote:

The police man that gave one to me (see avatar) didn't seem to think so Neutral. I didn't consider I was doing anything anti-social at the time (the wheelie in the box hill overflow car park wasn't endangering anyone and I had a standard can on Smile ).

He had a big folder with them in and filled my name out in the appropriate bits.

ahh so now that explains the pic!!!!! so have you actually been given an ASBO??????????

fuzz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:31 - 08 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was funny that Clarkson was just talking about how loud the Aston Martin V8 Vantage was - "You can hear it for two miles," and then goes on to say he doesn't want noisy bikers around. Hipocrite Mad

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:36 - 08 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

leicester_city21 wrote:

ahh so now that explains the pic!!!!! so have you actually been given an ASBO??????????

Yea, was a year ago or so. Avatar was rather forced upon me Smile.

I was going to complain about the ASBO, pointing out that the items specifie didn't related to my behaviour, but never got around to it.

TOM M
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:53 - 08 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
leicester_city21 wrote:

Yea, was a year ago or so. Avatar was rather forced upon me Smile.

I was going to complain about the ASBO, pointing out that the items specifie didn't related to my behaviour, but never got around to it.

so are you banned from a certain area or something???

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:55 - 08 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I get caught doing any of the listed things 'again' they can nick me bike and fine me, etc, I think. Still got the piece of paper, was tempted to frame it as it amused me Razz.

White Noise
Mr Dudwee

PostPosted: 01:00 - 08 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

what where the listed things?
WN

danclarkie
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:07 - 08 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

the limit i belive is 74Db reduced from 80Db and it was in last weeks MCN not this weeks, as you mentioned the UK cannot impose this law itself due to the EU homologation, however on the flip side if the EU decide to introduce it the UK must enforce it..or leave the EU.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 228 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3