|
|
| Author |
Message |
| NSR125-Kid-UK |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 NSR125-Kid-UK Attention Whore

Joined: 03 May 2003 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 00:19 - 25 Oct 2005 Post subject: Riding the Aprilia RS250 in torrential rain is... |
 |
|
...Nothing short of miserable.
Warming up the RS in the peeing rain, the lovely clouds of two stroke smoke are mercilessly smashed to the ground by raindrops the size of lamborghinis, while the engine struggles to idle as the bike warms up on my drive.
It's been like this for 15 minutes, the RS is always a bi*ch to warm up in the morning, and with bad weather like this - torrential rain and flood warnings everywhere, I'm in far from the best mood.
In the early morning dark, I can see the sidelights of the RS flickering slightly as the RS engine "dof dof dof dof"'s it's way to something resembling a normal idle. I'm getting changed indoors, it'd be suicidal to try it outside.
Leathers on, fleece on top, gloves on and pull the cuffs of the fleece over my gloves.
Well, off I go on the RS. The engine's since cut out in the cold and it's another three minutes of blipping the throttle, throwing huge white clouds of smoke out of the back, before the temperature guage finally reads 30 again, and I'm ready to go.
I flick main beam on, and watch the tacho needle start dancing about - a normal feature of RS's apparently, but not one that serves to improve my mood.
Still, throttle open, revs increase. Let clutch out, bike starts moving, revs die down and bike stalls.
See my RS has a very infuriating problem. The grips have no glue on. In wet weather, no sooner do I open the throttle than the throttle tube rotates inside the loose grip, closing off the carbs again - something which I mean to fix shortly.
Grabbing the throttle tightly to keep it open, I start the bike again, am greeted with the RS struggling to clear her throat and ride off.
Oh. What. Fun.
Riding up the road, looking at the reflection of my lights in the tarmac, while the rain makes the RS feel distinctly unsteady on its wheels. I bimble round the corner at the top of my road, and set off down the hill while a dozen unpleasant outcomes register in my mind, as I see wet drain covers, and to my horror, wet piles of leaves in the road.
What follows is 20 minutes of the throttle trying to close itself, 20 minutes of spray, and the RS being reluctant to do anything more than what i'm doing - sitting there, shivering, not really getting excited about anything.
Still, to the RS's credit, the articulated lorries in front are quickly overtaken, and it's possible to see again when I don't have clouds of spray in my face. But then come the roundabouts.
On the RS you have two choices in this weather:
1. Bimble round and hope car drivers don't overtake you.
2. Try to go round normally and then scare the crap out of yourself when the bike hits the powerband, usually spinning up the back in the process - it's worst in bad weather.
Still, eventually I get to work, but I can't help feeling that in this weather, the RS250 is totally out of its element.
Hot weather, blazing sun, sticky tyres and twisty roads can be heaven on the RS.
Cold wet weather, the last darkness of the previous night left over, spray and diesel everywhere? Equally miserable.
While I didn't mind the weather too much, the RS is too highly strung to ride in any other way than "hastily". Ride the RS Hastily in the wet and it's no fun at all. What I need is a lobbable inexpensive-to-fix bike, a nice four stroke that doesn't take ages to warm up in the morning, a bike where the power comes on when you open the throttle. What I have, is a little exotic gem of a bike, that in summer makes you feel like a GP god, but in winter makes you feel like a scooter boy.
Bring on summer  ____________________ https://www.bikepics.com/members/nsrandy/96rs250/ My Bike!
"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| tony532 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 tony532 World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 May 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 00:33 - 25 Oct 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
the joys of owning a 2 stroke
i remember it well  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| colin1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 colin1 Captain Safety
Joined: 17 Feb 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| NSR125-Kid-UK |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 NSR125-Kid-UK Attention Whore

Joined: 03 May 2003 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 00:43 - 25 Oct 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Aha.
Well...
When I say Bring on Summer, I have every intention of doing it on the RS. As I said to Craig (when talking about commuters compared to expensive sportsbikes), the ride you get is a reflection of the cost of the bike.
Cheap bike - frugal and uninspired ride.
Expensive bike - excitement, exclusivity, and a damn sexy bike to blast around on.
I love the RS to bits, it's the weather I hate not the bike.
The RS is staying on my drive for a long time to come, or until I die, whichever is sooner . ____________________ https://www.bikepics.com/members/nsrandy/96rs250/ My Bike!
"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| colin1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 colin1 Captain Safety
Joined: 17 Feb 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Claud 14.7 to 1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Claud 14.7 to 1 World Chat Champion

Joined: 06 May 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 00:49 - 25 Oct 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hehe told ya mate
(4T): thumb the starter & go! (any condition)
Sure yours is more fun in the Summer, but not when you have to wait 20 mins for it to warm it up in the pissing rain.
(and then it blows up 5 mins down the road)
I'll stop now.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| NSR125-Kid-UK |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 NSR125-Kid-UK Attention Whore

Joined: 03 May 2003 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 00:53 - 25 Oct 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
The RS is no more likely to blow up than a 4t 400.
We have this little thing called preventative maintenance which is something that, while your 4ters have the luxury of forgetting about it (probably because you have lots of fiddly tappets and valves etc to have to arse about with too), we do as a matter of course.
If you maintain a bike, it works.
If you don't, ir doesn't.
Simple.
Now enough of this engine blowing up crap. I've had enough of this rubbish from 4T people who try to convince themselves that the 2Ts will blow up just to stop themselves from worrying about not having the most fun bike on the road come summer...
...penis envy on 2 wheels is all it is...
..."well your penis might be twice as big and twice the fun, but it'll drop off soon so ner ner"
 ____________________ https://www.bikepics.com/members/nsrandy/96rs250/ My Bike!
"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Bomberman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Bomberman World Chat Champion

Joined: 17 Aug 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 01:10 - 25 Oct 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Josh|RD125LC |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Josh|RD125LC World Chat Champion

Joined: 08 Sep 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 01:16 - 25 Oct 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
The RD is lovely in any weather. Starts first kick every morning, no choke as well! Leave it to warm up for a few mins, then take it slow til the temp gauge gets half way, then I open her up a bit more. Never dies on me, and never fails to idle. Only time it dies is when it runs out of fuel.
Just wait til summer Andy, then the RS will be in its element!!  ____________________ Honda MBX50 | Yamaha RD125LC | Suzuki RG125F Lucky Strike | Suzuki GSF600S
RD125LC Pictures |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Groove |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Groove World Chat Champion

Joined: 10 Feb 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rookie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rookie World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Feb 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 01:31 - 25 Oct 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
This is why I'll go for a DT or something when it comes to 2 smokes, it should be in it's element, despite the, er, elements.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| colin1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 colin1 Captain Safety
Joined: 17 Feb 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rookie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rookie World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Feb 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| colin1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 colin1 Captain Safety
Joined: 17 Feb 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rookie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rookie World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Feb 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 01:41 - 25 Oct 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Shit on my parade why don't you.
I'll be careful, if I ever get it!  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| instigator |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 instigator Super Spammer

Joined: 19 Oct 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 01:42 - 25 Oct 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| colin1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 colin1 Captain Safety
Joined: 17 Feb 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Visitor Q |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Visitor Q $25 whore

Joined: 30 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 03:16 - 25 Oct 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Ask dischord about what it took to start the viffer the other day...
With a freshly charged battery aswell.
Try it lives outside, but still.
Nothing should be /that/ much hassle ____________________ China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| NSR125-Kid-UK |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 NSR125-Kid-UK Attention Whore

Joined: 03 May 2003 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 07:13 - 25 Oct 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
ok so 20 minutes is a bit of an overestimation, but the RS takes a decent time to warm up, frequently cutting out if you leave it ticking over on its own without blipping the throttle (the NSR was the same in the cold though).
EDIT...
...or not .
The RS took 4 minutes to warm up to 33 degrees C
Maybe it was just the rain that made it feel a long time - it's not raining today and it's distinctly warmer than yesterday  ____________________ https://www.bikepics.com/members/nsrandy/96rs250/ My Bike!
"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| EDBANGER |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 EDBANGER World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 May 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Shaun |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Shaun Likes 'em bent

Joined: 17 May 2003 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 08:20 - 25 Oct 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Oh great, he leaves visordown so now we get his bullshit stories.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 10:25 - 25 Oct 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
I suspect any vehicle that makes 230hp per litre straight from the box will need some time to warm up and need to be done properly.
My RS takes a while to warm up properly in cold, can be ten minutes or more in crappy conditions.
However my RS doesn't do any of the other things mentioned though. It did have a dead battery previously (like totally dead), it would struggle to idle if you left the lights on as there wasn't enough power to make a decent spark, new battery now and it's fine.
So where's the 'I told you so' rating?
Incidentally, my RS250 is for sale / swap now . (Made my mind up to definitely sell now it's a bad time of year to sell, ) However got someone looking at it on Thursday that seems pretty interested, though that'll be a swap rather than a sale. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Andy C |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Andy C Tree Seeking Missile

Joined: 26 Apr 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dom_ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dom_ Points Mean Prizes

Joined: 02 Aug 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| riichy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 riichy World Chat Champion

Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 12:33 - 25 Oct 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
i used to leve mine 2 mins on idle. now i tern it on and leve it live 30sec untill i have put my helmet on  ____________________ .......... PLOD ............ zx636 2004 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 20 years, 344 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|