|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Visitor Q |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Visitor Q $25 whore

Joined: 30 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 18:09 - 04 Dec 2005 Post subject: Risk it or get the train? |
 |
|
As you know, i got the SMOD as my hack for uni because in theory i was going to ride to and from uni.
Now the SMOD, hates starting. The thing doesnt charge. It has its own go=go=gadget smoke screen on occasion and i think the clutch is on the way out.
Now everyone in my family is adamant i should get the train back from bangor to stevenage (250 miles, 2 changes, alot of hassle, and not cheap).
Or i can go down the a55 straight run to chester, get the m6 from there (also straight run iirc), join onto the a1m later on about peterborough and thats me home. Straight line poddling in top at 80 ish the whole way.
If it works, it will be convenient. Fab, and lovely.
The problem i have is, i dont trust it not to explode exactly half way, stumping me with a large fee getting it tracked back home.
What would you guys do? How much do you trust old decripit bikes? Bear in mind its 16 years old, and had a hard life by the look of it. Im fine with the long period on the bike (roughly 3-4 hours), but i will go apeshit if it explodes. But i loathe trains with a passion...
Anyone risked it and failed? Anyone nursed a shagged hack long distance? ____________________ China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ..... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ..... Quote Me Happy
Joined: 15 Jan 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Andy C |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Andy C Tree Seeking Missile

Joined: 26 Apr 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| natefz6 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 natefz6 Brolly Dolly

Joined: 06 Apr 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 18:23 - 04 Dec 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
I often think the same about my GS.
I get on the motorway and start imagining noises then start shitting myself that the back wheel is gonna lock at 90 and kill me
aah such is life ____________________ "no I didn't steal it that's just the way I ride" |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mchaggis |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mchaggis World Chat Champion

Joined: 10 May 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 18:25 - 04 Dec 2005 Post subject: Re: Risk it or get the train? |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Visitor Q |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Visitor Q $25 whore

Joined: 30 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 18:25 - 04 Dec 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Joe wrote: | Join the AA first? |
Im with the AA joe. But i've also used the tossers before
Not happy bunny.
6 hours and they didnt show up, had to wait until the next day. Was on my own in a country lane all night.
And besides which, the only tow short distances for free. They are only obliged to tow you to the nearest garage. If they are nice they let you choose one in the area.
250 miles... If it dies right next to mine its kushty, and vice versa (although getting alittle towards home, it dying, and then getting towed back would probably see it firebombed). But what if its in the middle of nowhere? Im going home for crimbo. Im poor. And the bikes worth fuck all. All repairs are only cost effective as DIY,ergo i cant just lump it in a garage, ask for an engine rebuild and come pick it up a few days later.
I have worries. ____________________ China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| map |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 map Mr Calendar

Joined: 14 Jun 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 18:38 - 04 Dec 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Have an adventure.
Bike was meant to be ridden.
Arrange to do the journey in short hops rather than one big hit.
That'll allow the bike and you time to recover
A run of 250 miles isn't that great. Suggest at least 2 maybe 3 stops (15 min to 30 mins). Bike takes on fuel. You check oil etc and take food/water/hot drink yourself.
If you're that worried about the condition of the bike then sell it and then you can't complain about it.
Just my thoughts. ____________________ ...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger?  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| natefz6 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 natefz6 Brolly Dolly

Joined: 06 Apr 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 18:42 - 04 Dec 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Quote:
"Now the SMOD, hates starting. The thing doesnt charge. It has its own go=go=gadget smoke screen on occasion and i think the clutch is on the way out."
Charge/Buy new battery, Smoke shouldnt be a problem just fill up the oil before you go and fuck it you wont need the clutch once you on the motorway 100mph all the way....
If it were me knowing how much the shit trains cost and how long they can take. I would just do as much preventative maintanence as i could and risk it. Thats me though  ____________________ "no I didn't steal it that's just the way I ride" |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Visitor Q |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Visitor Q $25 whore

Joined: 30 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 18:44 - 04 Dec 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
I think i might risk it. Fook da poolice.
If it dies on my, i hold you all fully accountable  ____________________ China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| numark1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 numark1 Scared of girls

Joined: 10 May 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 18:48 - 04 Dec 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Take a dremel if if blows up scratch the frame numbers off rip off the numberplate and dump it.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| loply |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 loply World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Mar 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 19:08 - 04 Dec 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Why bother removing the numberplate etc? Just say it was stolen...
What kind of bike is it? ____________________ Yamaha SZR660 Caution to the wind, the throttle pinned! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mrchips |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mrchips World Chat Champion
Joined: 05 Mar 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 20:46 - 04 Dec 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
I've done quite a lot of miles on my somewhat unreliable ar125. Just carry a few basic tools, spare plugs etc and you should be alright. Thankfully my 125 always broke down pretty near to home.
It was not uncommon for me to be changing plugs etc on roadsides.  ____________________ Northern Irish? www.nibikers.com |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Bendy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Bendy Mrs Sensible

Joined: 10 Jun 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 22:17 - 04 Dec 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Go for it, it'll be an adventure. If it is not generating any power, just make sure the battery is charged and you go in the daylight so you don't have to use the lights. Mate of mine rode a BSA starfire (well a Triumph something or other actually but the same thing) from Amsterdam to Prague on battery power only.
Smoke is ok, just keep topping the oil up.
Get good breakdown cover. I get mine free with my insurance and it takes me home from anywhere in Europe
My Jawa once holed a piston on the Isle of Mull (racing a 250 superdream). I rode it back to Edinburgh on one cylinder which is about 150 miles and incorporates one of the highest hill passes in the UK. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| superstacker |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 superstacker Traffic Copper
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Gazdaman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Gazdaman I did a trackday!!!

Joined: 12 Aug 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Visitor Q |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Visitor Q $25 whore

Joined: 30 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 10:34 - 05 Dec 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Ok thats a good idea. Anyone live on the red line or thereabouts? That would be willing to let me sling the bike in there if it explodes? Hell if it explodes id probably give you money to fix over crimbo if bored and it was simple.
Im really up for doing it now, but i really really dont trust the bike.
Gaz's story is kinda glaring into my mind.
As soon as a bike doesnt work the red mist comes down (cough cough 160 mph down the m'way with no lights on cos of a dodgy reg/rec springs to mind... and the ensuing chase :shake:) and i usually barely restrain torching the bike in a tantrum or doing illegal things.
We will see, i'll take it up round anglesey (the route babyyam suggested) and clear the old girls throat abit. Might cruise up and down the A55 abit too, see how she goes.
HAVE to wheelie menai bridge though, cant nurse her that much. ____________________ China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Gazdaman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Gazdaman I did a trackday!!!

Joined: 12 Aug 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Visitor Q |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Visitor Q $25 whore

Joined: 30 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 15:32 - 05 Dec 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Ok, ive decided on a nice little compromise.
At some point this week, im going to take the SMOD on a long ride around anglesey, give it some abuse and if it misses a beat, i wont go by bike.
I will be riding back on the 17th ideally. If i do go.
I also need to see if petrol wise it will be cheaper. I think the bugger is running rich, so if i say motorways cruising will be around 50% (ie if it does 100 miles per £10 on a roads, it will do 150 on the motorway for a tenner) more efficient then A roads, i'll monitor it abit closer this time and find out
I can buy my ticket on the day so if the weather is horrific (i mean like absolute blizzard warning bad) i can just take the train. Same as if it wont start originally.
Nice to have something to plan for (see other thread ).
I will update soon, and if after i give it some long distance testing tomoro it holds up, then i will definitely pm you guys for details and start a 'who wants to give me a contingency address to lump my bike if it explodes upon this route' type thread. Beer vouchers available
Again though that poses another problem, i have a bike in my garage that i havent touched in a year because the problems hard to sort. I dont want to lump a bike on someone with something hard to sort, that i cant economically pay someone to repair that is to far for me to sort. Best i could do then is hire a van to trundle it back home in, but as i a) dont drive and b) im under 25...
Hmm Riddles within riddles ____________________ China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Gazdaman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Gazdaman I did a trackday!!!

Joined: 12 Aug 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| KLR600 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 KLR600 World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Mar 2005 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 18:13 - 05 Dec 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 20 years, 303 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|