|
|
| Author |
Message |
| DukeRed |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 DukeRed World Chat Champion

Joined: 07 Mar 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 16:08 - 25 Jan 2006 Post subject: Fork seals. Bolt at the bottom. |
 |
|
My fork seal blew after only two months of the mechanic putting a new one in.
Reason I took them to him in the first place was that I couldn't get the bolt at the bottom out. Bent two allen keys before giving up. Any ideas how to get it out?
Also I have a dirt and oil seal, do I need anything else?
How does having one blown affect the handling? I think I noticed it being much more unhappy at high speeds on the motorway when hitting cats eyes, twitching quite alot. Is that part of it? ____________________ Enjoy Life There's Plenty of Time to be Dead
https://www.janoner.com |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Bezzer |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Bezzer World Chat Champion
Joined: 14 Apr 2005 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 16:16 - 25 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Get an allen head socket, cheap enough for a set of 3/8ths drive ones and much stronger than an ordinary allen key.
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/images/products/mid/MM040214926.jpg
You might find you have to hold the inners else the lot turns and the bolt doesn't undo, different bikes have different locking methods, what bike is it?.
And yes a blown one will affect the handling. You should also check the stanchions to see if they are bent/pitted or whatever with it blowing another seal so quick, also the bushes inside might be worn. ____________________ I used to be indecisive but now I'm not quite so sure. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| DukeRed |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 DukeRed World Chat Champion

Joined: 07 Mar 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 16:29 - 25 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Ah thats what I forgot to mention.
I've got the allen key sockets but the problem is I have to take out the spindle to get to it. I have to compress the fork while doing this, yes? ____________________ Enjoy Life There's Plenty of Time to be Dead
https://www.janoner.com |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ZRX61 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ZRX61 Victor Meldrew
Joined: 05 Nov 2003 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| DukeRed |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 DukeRed World Chat Champion

Joined: 07 Mar 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 16:46 - 25 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Ah that air powered thing that I can't afford. ____________________ Enjoy Life There's Plenty of Time to be Dead
https://www.janoner.com |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Garnsie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Garnsie Two Stroke Sniffer

Joined: 29 Dec 2005 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Bezzer |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Bezzer World Chat Champion
Joined: 14 Apr 2005 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ZRX61 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ZRX61 Victor Meldrew
Joined: 05 Nov 2003 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| DukeRed |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 DukeRed World Chat Champion

Joined: 07 Mar 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 19:13 - 26 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Cheers for the replys. Was thinking since the mechanic only did it 2 months ago could I ask him to do it cheaper since he might not have bedded it in properly the first time? ____________________ Enjoy Life There's Plenty of Time to be Dead
https://www.janoner.com |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 20 years, 251 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|