Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Sport Tourers - are they really tourers? (Honda VFR)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

mark83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:15 - 19 Sep 2006    Post subject: Sport Tourers - are they really tourers? (Honda VFR) Reply with quote

Hi guys. New to this, so be nice! Shifty

I've just bought a Kawasaki ER6n and use it to commute to london every day.
Good bike, lots of fun, but not an ounce of wind protection (obviously)

I was planning to go on long trips, maybe to Europe, but after going to Birmingham, I think I need a tourer. But I still wanna have fun and commute.

I want a new VFR800 but...

1.) Does it really offer good wind protection (without having to lean over the tank for the whole journey?
2.) Has anybody heard anything of the rumour of a new model? When is it coming out?

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 19 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

the er6 will take you to europe, stop being a big jessy and learn to embrace the windblast- once your neck muscles adapt there'll be no stopping you Razz Smile
..... or, just buy a good screen? I'm sure there must be some decent aftermarket items available Thumbs Up

Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:30 - 19 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VFR is possibly one of the greatest bikes ever made, as its so versatile. it can do everything.
just make sure you avoid the VTEC model. its pants. best is 1998 model.

and anyway, do as Keen says and get a good screen-you can tour on any bike nowadays if you want to-just don't be a wuss!

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 17:34 - 19 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer quickly
1) Yes. It's ok. Although you'd have to try it for size (and/or swap screens).
2) No news. However, 2nd hand the VFR750 is still ok as is the non-VTEC 800.

The VFR was/is regarded as the benchmark sports tourer. Considering how long it's being around there's only now just one or two bikes around that can be considered as better, and that's very subjective anyhow.

If you get a VFR750/800 and do your own servicing then you'll have to learn the tricks of removing the plastic. A very long reach is needed for the plugs as well Very Happy

HTH Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Spoonman
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:40 - 19 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

8316 wrote:
The VFR is possibly one of the greatest bikes ever made, as its so versatile. it can do everything.
just make sure you avoid the VTEC model. its pants. best is 1998 model.

TESTIFY brudder!!

exactly what he said - even the guy who designs them, Satoru Horiike, says the VTEC was a mistake. and he personally states that the '98 model is his favourite.

markandmindy
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:42 - 19 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 2003 VFR800 VTec and earlier this year did a Tour of Scotland from down here in Cornwall !!!!! Did Truro to Moffat in a day (500 miles) and had no problems with wind noise or arse fatigue. Was in the company of 2 GS1150's and they had no end of grief in the arse ache stakes! Went M5/M6 and did't hang around so if you want a good sports tourer you could do a lot worse than a VFR800. going to try Europe next year with a possible trip up to NordKapp so will be keeping hold of the Vfr until then.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mark83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:42 - 20 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot guys.

I think I'm gonna be bold and go for a trip in europe before the winter sets in.

Then I'm gonna buy a VFR!

krebsy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:01 - 20 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ZZR has an extended screen and it just shoves all the air up over my head. I generally don't feel headwind resistance.. Smile.. Sidewinds are another thing, Two up down the M1 on the gustiest day of the year a few weeks ago was not fun... Sad.

K.

1280 x 1024.

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:00 - 21 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the 01 vfr. Standard screen is ok for sitting up long distance up to around 80mph (more than 4 hours)

I put on a flick up (which looks a little ugly) and it now makes 120 comfy (I can turn my head to look in mirrors without feeling the wind pushing me etc).

Any bike will tour, the vfr is one of the easier ones to live with if you are covering distance.

It certainly is a nice compromise, allowing easy distance and good fun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:04 - 21 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah you can tour on anything it is just a compromise between comfort / range / speed and luggage capacity.

with a screenless bike you may want to buy new shirts when you come back though...
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:22 - 21 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to use the bandit this year, so I would agree. That said, it would have been much easier making Russia if I wasn't limited to around 70-80 mph due to windblast.

mark83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:07 - 20 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, thank a lot for your advice.

Thanks to you, here's the result of my trip......

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=97828

woodyfjr
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:37 - 27 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

VFR's any model are very good touring bikes but only when solo really if you want to tour with pillion & full luggage (tent etc..) only a large bike will do.

ZZR11-12's, BMW R1200GT, PanEuro11-13, Fj11-12 & Fjr1300 etc big mile munchers with speed handling and good fuel economy.

Some have adjustable screens and shaft drive, also have a large fuel capacity 250 miles none stop if you want.

So if real long distance 2up touring is what you want to do get a big engine with high torque figures.

Ps: When solo these bikes do really move as well.

If you have to rev it! Don't Buy it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 15:59 - 27 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

markandmindy wrote:
I've got a 2003 VFR800 VTec and earlier this year did a Tour of Scotland from down here in Cornwall !!!!! Did Truro to Moffat in a day (500 miles) and had no problems with wind noise or arse fatigue. Was in the company of 2 GS1150's and they had no end of grief in the arse ache stakes! Went M5/M6 and did't hang around so if you want a good sports tourer you could do a lot worse than a VFR800. going to try Europe next year with a possible trip up to NordKapp so will be keeping hold of the Vfr until then.

equally, I did several thousand miles on a Firestorm this summer, and didn't have a problem with any aches or pains either.

All comes down to getting a bike that suits your riding style and preferred position.

That being said, my normal transport is an FJR, and I can go all day on that without suffering any problems.

a

mark83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:11 - 27 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodyfjr wrote:
VFR's any model are very good touring bikes but only when solo really if you want to tour with pillion & full luggage (tent etc..) only a large bike will do.

Thing is, I'm more worried about windblast.

Everyone says: "a double bubble screen on a VFR sends the wind straight over your head!"

Ive never test-ridden a bike with fairing, so I dont know. But my reckoning is: if a VFR dubble bubble screen sends the wind over your head, why do they bother making massive screens like the touring screen for the Deauville, for example? Just doesn't figure.

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 16:13 - 27 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark83 wrote:
woodyfjr wrote:

Thing is, I'm more worried about windblast.

Everyone says: "a double bubble screen on a VFR sends the wind straight over your head!"

Ive never test-ridden a bike with fairing, so I dont know. But my reckoning is: if a VFR dubble bubble screen sends the wind over your head, why do they bother making massive screens like the touring screen for the Deauville, for example? Just doesn't figure.

because on the Deaville, Pan Euro, FJR and the like, you're sitting more upright, and so are taller on the bike.

The VFR has a more sporty riding position, so you're leant forward more than on a tourer, so not needing such a tall screen

a

mark83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:14 - 27 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

feef wrote:

That being said, my normal transport is an FJR, and I can go all day on that without suffering any problems.

a

Wouldnt mind an FJR myself!!!

mark83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 27 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="feefThe VFR has a more sporty riding position, so you're leant forward more than on a tourer, so not needing such a tall screen

a[/quote]

Oooooooooooooo , now I get it! Embarassed

Thanks a lot.

I guess there's no substitute for experience!

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 16:19 - 27 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark83 wrote:
feef wrote:

a

Wouldnt mind an FJR myself!!!

they are underrated, but HIGHLY capable bikes....

I regularly go on rideouts with people who are amazed I can keep up on such a vast machine..

it's rapid in a straight line, with 140bhp, 1300cc engine, but it's surprisingly nimble too.

a

mark83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:22 - 27 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

feef wrote:

it's rapid in a straight line, with 140bhp, 1300cc engine, but it's surprisingly nimble too.

a

Sounds like the sort of bike that tyre-salesmen love to see going past!

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 16:23 - 27 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark83 wrote:
feef wrote:

a

Sounds like the sort of bike that tyre-salesmen love to see going past!

i never go past a tyre salesman.. I normally sto pand buy something Very Happy

a

mark83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:24 - 27 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, thanks a lot for the advice guys.

If you want to see my trip round europe on a naked bike (that's right, after me bitching about the size of screens! - hehehe).....

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=97828

Hope you like the pics!

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:38 - 29 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodyfjr wrote:
big mile munchers with speed handling and good fuel economy.
I'll agree with the rest, but for fuel economy these bikes suck. At best they seem to hover around 40mpg. The VFR will manage an easy 55 with motorways (non-vtec). If you are serious about miles (not just in europe but by less well paved places) then you need to get back to 600cc or less really.

As everyone has said though, and Mark has shown. Its all about your riding style. Anyone can tour on anything! Varying degrees of comfort, thats all. If you want ultimate comfort and elements protection, by a car. Bikes are about overcoming the conditions, not removing them.

That said, I wouldn't mind a go on Feefs FJR.

Dave_ZedDragen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:50 - 23 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with all these comments....yes you really can tour on anything. I tour on my Kawasaki Z1000 so stop whinging Laughing

Ive tried the VFR Vtec and it is a very capable bike and will tour very well and I didnt think the Vtec was as bad as everyone says it is. Servicing costs have been capped by Honda to reduce everyones fears and the fueling problem has been resolved as far as I am aware.

Next years VFR will be the same model but will have some minor tweaking to the injection and the VTEC system to smooth it out so it doesnt "kick in" so much.

Also you may wish to consider something like a fazer 600/1000 or faired Bandit 600/1200 which may be more the riding position you are used to but will add wind protection, alternatively just get an aftermarket taller screen for your ER6. I got a Zero Gravity screen for my Zed.

Personally for some serious touring I would look at a trailie type of bike as I think they are the most suitable and I am looking into these for myself. I'm looking at the possibilities of maybe getting either a used Aprilia Caponord, Africa Twin or BMW 1150 GS in about a years time and hopefully still keep the zed.

Good luck Mark 83, and happy choosing:D Thumbs Up

I'd recommend you get out there and try all these bikes before you make any decisions

https://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt306/zeddragen/zeddragensig-1.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 130 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1