Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


DAS Booked!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:04 - 21 Jul 2006    Post subject: DAS Booked! Reply with quote

My DAS is booked with Graingers for the 24th August! Test on the 30th! Woo!

T


Last edited by veeeffarr on 17:45 - 25 Jul 2006; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Groove
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:13 - 21 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you not pick the days?

I did 4 day course and had never ridden before.

I also did the course over 2 weeks Thumbs Up
____________________
|| Past: 1991 Kawasaki ZXR 250 ~ 2003 Honda CBR 600 F Sport ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1999 Yamaha R1 ~ 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R J ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1998 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm ~ K1 GSXR 600 Track bike ~ K6 GSXR 1000 ~ 2006 Speed Triple 1050 || Current: 2005 R1 https://www.adrucore.co.uk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:14 - 21 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The instructor wasn't happy about spreading out the days, said its better to do it in a block
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:19 - 21 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bets still on 55, odds are 2/1 Thumbs Up

Mr. Green
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:23 - 21 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

instigator wrote:
Bets still on 55, odds are 2/1 Thumbs Up

Mr. Green


Quiet you. Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

BanditBitch
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:40 - 21 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you need the 5 full days, I thought that included the CBT, then a day on the 125's, then days 3 and 4 the 500/600's then Day 5 test.

If you have been riding around for a year on a 125, you should be able to omit days 1 and 2.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

gemma1675
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 20 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:06 - 21 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall some posts on the new riders section where people on guaranteed pass DAS courses were still being stung for bike & equipment hire if they had to retake.

I needed five days when I did DAS cos I had never ridden a bike before. But I am sure you would need less than that!

I personally would bin the guaranteed pass and go for a three day block - Saturday, Sunday and test on Monday thereby only one day off work (assuming you work Mon - Fri of course).

Good luck with it anyways. Thumbs Up
____________________
Suzuki SV650S K5

Nobody puts baby in a corner
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

alfie698
Nova Slayer



Joined: 28 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:48 - 21 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a 5 day course would be overkill for someone that's done 7000 miles on a 125.

I hadnt ridden a bike in years and did a 2 day course over a weekend (after doing my CBT) before sitting the test on Monday. It certainly didnt cost £480! Shocked

Try and find a local outfit with a decent reputation rather than a place with a "guarantee".

HTH
Alfie
____________________
Ted: "These are small; the ones out there are far away."
Dougal: "I still dont get it, Ted."
https://www.bikepics.com/members/alfie698
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Psychonaut
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 10 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:59 - 21 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well toby Ive always felt on the same footing as you as we started riding at the same time (and from the looks of it the same milage also). I took a 2 day das (1 1/2 days training test in the afternoon) and felt it was all I needed.
Before I started it I was worried I'd made a mistake not having 2 1/2 days on a 500 but to be honest its a peice off piss. The hardest bit is re learning 'proper' observation but you would have to do that for any test.
Took me the whole morning to learn low speed control (you have to slip the clutch more on a bigger bike to achieve slow speed) but that mornings work paid off on the road and I put my foot down once in 12 u turns (the one just before my test Laughing but my instructor said it was nerves)
I really dont think you need 5 days but see how day 1 goes (and if they will shorten it if your ok). Suppose it all comes down to how confident you feel, until you ride a 500 for a day you wont know but I'd say you'll be fine with the road experience you've had. Good Luck!!!
____________________
Prev CBR600RR (06) Orange/Black
CBR1000RR (09) Repsol
Now Ducati 1199 Panigale
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!



Joined: 05 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:14 - 21 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said here, I wouldn't have thought you'd need a full 5 day course.

The only difference you'll find is the acceleration & the weight of the bike.

Whats the difference between a 5 day and a 3 day course?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

akaDAVE
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:28 - 21 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a 5 day course but I'd never sat on a bike before that.

The first day I did the CBT which you've done and more.

The second day I moved onto a 500 which was easier to control smoothly than the 125. That will be a breeze.

I reckon you'd only need one day to get to grips with the 500 test bike and then learn how to pass the test over the next two. Confused

The cost you will save will outweigh any value of a guaranteed pass I reckon.
____________________
GSXR600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

distortion
Nearly there...



Joined: 08 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:33 - 21 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best thing i'd advise is to get a lesson with an instructor and ask them how many lessons they reckon you'll need.

I'd been riding 18months and had one lesson - then i asked how many i'd need before i did my test (he said 10 x 1hr inc that one).

£17 x 10 = £170 + £55 test fee

I reckon its worth the one lesson - if youv'e got riding esxperience behind you, i doubt you'll need £500 worth of lessons.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:52 - 21 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groovearmada wrote:
Can you not pick the days?

I did 4 day course and had never ridden before.

I also did the course over 2 weeks Thumbs Up


Did mine over a weekend with the test a couple of days later.

It may be ok for you to split the days up as you are familiar with riding the cg, but you need to get to used to riding a bigger bike, this may prove hard if over a couple of weeks.
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:11 - 21 Jul 2006    Post subject: Re: DAS - Which course to get? Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:


When it is factored in that I have to take 5 days holiday off of work, this is looking quite expensive.



Holiday pay?? This is a legal requirement.
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:20 - 21 Jul 2006    Post subject: Re: DAS - Which course to get? Reply with quote

mondeokid wrote:
Toby R wrote:


When it is factored in that I have to take 5 days holiday off of work, this is looking quite expensive.



Holiday pay?? This is a legal requirement.


Hi, Yes it is paid, but is still valuable to me.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:00 - 22 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

why do 5 block says (btw its cheap for 5 block days I did 1-2-1 in the winter 5 days + 2 tests for £700) add in CBT and stuff and it was all in about £850

why not do two days per weekend , and another day just before test?
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

derbisenda200...
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 09 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:58 - 22 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

17 pound a lesson thats good my local training school want 58 pound for an hour and a half!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile



Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:06 - 22 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did 1day and half and then test and was fine Thumbs Up. Same sort of expereience on 125 as you (though mine was faster Cool ).

The 5 days course a lot will be controling the bike which you should be fine at, 2 days and test sounds much better
____________________
99 RS125 --> 02 SV650s --> 03 Speed Four --> 92 RXS100 --> 93 CB400sf --> 01 CB600f Hornet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:10 - 22 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
The instructor wasn't happy about spreading out the days, said its better to do it in a block

Personally, I would have thought it would be better to do little and often, as such.

As you have your own bike, anything they point out to you, you can work on inbetween.

Before my test I spent a while on an industrial estate practicing emergency stops and U-tuns (as well as a few stoppies Very Happy ).
I also made a point of riding everywhere 'properly'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SimonB
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 23 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:13 - 22 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did 2 days full training and then the test after that. Pior to that I had never riden a bike before apart from when I did the CBT 2 months before.
____________________
Bikes: Honda CBR250RR [sold], Yamaha FZR600 [sold], Honda CBR600RR6
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:34 - 25 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the advice.

Booked for August the 24th with my test on the 30th.

Riding assessment on the 12th, I can't wait.

T
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:50 - 25 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for the advice.

Booked for August the 24th with my test on the 30th 2038.

Riding assessment on the 12th, I can't wait.

T
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:14 - 25 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

instigator wrote:
Toby R wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for the advice.

Booked for August the 24th with my test on the 30th 2038.

Riding assessment on the 12th, I can't wait.

T


Only reason I rated that funny was because I missed the FUCKOFF button Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ArticZebra
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 24 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:10 - 25 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys Im new to your forum, and quite new to biking.

I did my CBT a year last march and been riding my GS125 during the dry weather ever since and put about 5k on the clock.

I started my DAS course on Saturday in Eastleigh Hants on a ER500, its a cool bike and much easier to ride than my GS !.

The first day was spent firstly in the training car park, then out for a rideout to get the feel of the bike, Sunday was spent going over the test routes and general test skills. We did 2 mock tests, I passed the first one with NO faults and failed the second with 1 Major. ( U turn bet you guessed that huh ? lol ). I cant say it was an easy day, I was knackered after 6 hours in the saddle !

So at at 11.11am tomorrow morning I'll be doing my test, in what is rekoned to be 31 degrees blazing sunshine. It will be a right smack ass if i fail, I've bought myself a XJ600 N, which is nicely polished in the garage, fuelled up, Taxed, Mot'd , the insurance is all set up pending a phone call.

Jitters ??? oh yes Smile that why Im sat here at 0112am

I'll let you guys knpw how i get on.

Total cost including test £395 for three days, inc test day.

And to Alan and Shirley the school instructors, if you read this, pass or fail you are the guys !! cheers.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:27 - 25 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to get it done!

Although I'm not as excited as I thought I would be.

T
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 70 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.93 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 131.17 Kb