Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Convincing mother to get a bike???

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

mattjs895
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 26 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:10 - 23 Apr 2007    Post subject: Convincing mother to get a bike??? Reply with quote

a mate of mine is looking to get a bike, but his mother needs convincing. any good points you lot have to share so we can get another biker on the road.

cheers

matt
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

matthab
Crazy Courier



Joined: 04 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:18 - 23 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem with my whole familly. With such lines as "bikes are very dangerous, i hope your not thinking of getting a bigger one"

My argument is I enjoy it, cheaper to run than my 1993 vaxhaul corsa, quicker to work, cheaper to park in town and nice in the summer to pelt round the country side and get lost Laughing .

I find once a person has made up their minds they dont like bikes. Its very hard to change them. As they see a car safer and nicer, the safer bit i go with but the nicer can be nogotiated (SP).

You really need to argu the good points against the bad, anyone whos done English GCSE lately will know exactly what im on about.

The best argument i found was i need my independce when i was 16 and parent agreed with me so i got my first bike and its growing from there. IF hes 17+ then you cant argue this one much lol.

Hope this helps matt
____________________
2005 - 2006:Peugeot jet force 50 TDSI (sold)
2006 - Present: Yamaha YBR125 06 (extras:pilot sporty tyres and screen)


Last edited by matthab on 00:38 - 23 Apr 2007; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

monty
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 22 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:31 - 23 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

my mum never wanted me to start riding. my dad doesn't like bikes but he said i could as it was some sort of transport

i just kept going on and on.

now i dont live with my mum and i have been riding for 2 years so i don't need to worry anymore
____________________
Gilera Nexus 500
Its a scooter get over it!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

0ddball
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:34 - 23 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell him if he's mature enough to ride a bike he's mature enough to to it without mummys permission.
____________________
ZXR750L
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

st3v3
Super Spammer



Joined: 16 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:43 - 23 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first got a ped for work, then it evolved from there, specify his need to ride for transportation, don't over-exaggerate on the fun side to them.
____________________
Roger wrote: Women don't get damp for clingy puppies. Get some better happy pills, hit the gym & buy a medallion the size of a dinner plate. Job done
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mooncatt
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 08 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:10 - 23 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

had the same problem with my mum, i tried the respectful road and was nice about it i.e i understand mum but you have nothing to worry about blah blah, then she carried on and on and on, in the end i just ignored it and said if you dont like it lump it. after all if you are old enough to ride a bike then you are (hopefully) mature enough to be sensible on it, after a while she will get used to it just takes time.
____________________
current bike...CBR400RR
"you always need more chicken"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wooly R6
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:12 - 23 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mum or dad, still so far, have said nothing at all about me having a bike - i get the, "be careful" whenever i am round their house on my bike but thats it, my dad knows i am not a total twat on it, and i am sure my mum thinks so too.

Tell him, if he wants a bike, get one.
____________________
R6 has been sold - 2004 Honda VFR VTEC now sold too - no bike at the moment
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile



Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:22 - 23 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spend 2months in hospital last year due to bikes and my parents tried most things to get me to not ride again but they knew its what i love and let me get on with it.

I think you friends should just be honest with them and say he realises the danger involved, and as a consequence will get the right protective clothing. This may show his mum hes taking a mature approach to it and may respect his decision a but more Thumbs Up
____________________
99 RS125 --> 02 SV650s --> 03 Speed Four --> 92 RXS100 --> 93 CB400sf --> 01 CB600f Hornet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wooly R6
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:28 - 23 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you, i remember the accident posted on here ages ago, but i dont really keep up with some topics. Smile
____________________
R6 has been sold - 2004 Honda VFR VTEC now sold too - no bike at the moment
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer



Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:28 - 23 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Mother actively encouraged me to get a bike. I was dragged down to the local bike shop about 3 weeks before my 16 birthday and asked which one I wanted, ( Suzuki TS 50 ER in blue ). seven days after my 16th birthday the bike came off I went to get propper training ( Star Rider in those days ) . Never looked back. Get his mother actively involved in the safety side, show her the good training that will be done as a condition of him getting a bike. get your mate to take his mother to a training site and speak with the instructors. Tell her the down sides to show that he is aware and needs to be responsable. Then prove it.
____________________
Famous last words of Humpty Dumpty. " Stop pushing me "
Petty Anarchists look at "1984".............. The Visionary looks at "Animal Farm".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:58 - 23 Apr 2007    Post subject: Re: Convincing mother to get a bike??? Reply with quote

mattjs895 wrote:
a mate of mine is looking to get a bike, but his mother needs convincing.


Just go and buy it Very Happy

His mother has got to now realise that he is of a age where he has to make his own decision's about what he is going to do.

My mother was not happy when i 1st got a bike 30 years ago, come to think of it she was not happy when i got another last year..... Neither was the wife, but hey its my life, mrs is now reasonable happy to go for a ride on the back if need be.
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile



Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:00 - 23 Apr 2007    Post subject: Re: Convincing mother to get a bike??? Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
Just go and buy it Very Happy

His mother has got to now realise that he is of a age where he has to make his own decision's about what he is going to do.


This will just reinsure her fears that he has a immature approch to riding bikes and will hate them even more IMO Thumbs Up
____________________
99 RS125 --> 02 SV650s --> 03 Speed Four --> 92 RXS100 --> 93 CB400sf --> 01 CB600f Hornet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

virus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:10 - 23 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason I convinced my parents was for a bit of help affording it Laughing Otherwise the first they would know would be when theres a bike chained up in the back garden Karma
____________________
own: 81 xs1100g...
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

atom
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:19 - 23 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think its possible to convince a mother its a good idea, I think you have to convince them that your going to do it, but do it as safely as you can.

Mothers usually love thier sons and would do anything to keep them out of harms way, hence the tendency against motorbikes.

My dad was a biker and although he's envious I ride, he does think I'm nuts. I just say it may be a really dangerous way to get from A to B but I enjoy it and try to do it safely.
____________________
The Internet: Ceefax for the 21st Century
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

THCi Nathan's Mom
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:30 - 23 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

atom wrote:



Mothers usually love thier sons and would do anything to keep them out of harms way, hence the tendency against motorbikes.


.


Having just lost Nathan this statement I do agree with BUT
I activley encouraged him to get a bike and do not regret him having one. I love motorbikes so perhaps I am not the normal mom.
I do however have to agree with all comments made regards training and correct gear , the best helmet you can afford or better still wait till you have the money to get the best, promise mom and dad that you will keep the bike in tip top condition and 100% road worthy!
The thing that I hate to see is the so called biker in shorts and tee shirts no protection what so ever, I have a friend who took a spill 30+ years ago and she still has road grit in her arm that doctors tried to remove but the pesky thing was there to stay ... well I need say no more on that but I know that Nathans injuries whould have been a lot worse if he had had no leathers on.

With a mature argument I am sure that he will win mom round and who knows she may even take a ride with him, and learn that biking is great fun.
Above all else once he gets his bike he must show her that he respects the road and all other road users.

I have read that Nathan was a 'nutter' but I will never regret him getting a bike he died doing what he loved my only regret is that he died so young and left a gapping hole in our lives.

Be Safe
Be aware
Watch out for the prats in those
4 wheelers!

Tracy
____________________
Believe in the power of prayers!
Nathan needs all you can spare
His family need them too!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:33 - 23 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well put Tracy.

However much we love our sons we can't live their lives for them.

If your mum loves you she will swallow any fears she may have and present you with a big smile when you talk about your bike - you should not be able to tell if it is genuine or not!
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jammy-R6
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 19 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:49 - 23 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents wernt happy when I said I wanted one when I was 17. I just told them I am going to do it with or without their permission. When i got my 600 I just turned up on it one morning after buying it! What can they say? Mum refuses to even look at my TLR even now.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:51 - 23 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's right for a mother to be concerned about their sons welfare, however it isn't right to tell them not to get one. A parent can persuade their child not to get one, or can give pros and cons against it, however if they get the bike, generally I believe they should be fully behind them.

When I got my bike my Mum was and still is worried, however she would never go out of her way to stop me having a bike. Thumbs Up
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WeeSuziB
Nova Slayer



Joined: 13 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:08 - 23 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even have my own bike, though this doesn't stop my mum going into complete hysterics when I go out with my bf.

I have to agree with what most people have said, your friend needs a mature argument. Obviously his mum will worry but with the right kind of talking and approach hopefully she will see his side of it, she may not agree with it, but she may at least come around.

I'm looking to get my own bike soon enough and the way I think I'm going to talk to my mum about it is that,
(1)would she not rather me know what I'm doing with my own bike
(2) Transportation & Independence - not having to rely on other people to give lifts/spend money on taxi/bus. *Here my mum is going to say why don't i just get a car, but explain they are more efficient & fun (though I wouldn't lay the fun part on too much)
(3) Obviously safety, reinforce that with all the right clothing you will be a lot safer.

So on and so forth, best of luck to your friend!
____________________
"take pacman for example,if computer games influenced kids, then we would all be running around a dark room trying to eat magic pills while being chased by monsters and listening to repetitive electronic music"

Northern Irish? www.nibikers.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave McCool
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:59 - 23 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The argument I'm currently using to get my mum and dad off my back goes as follows:

Me : You're happy for me to drive my car (Citroen AX) up and down the motorway all the time aren't you?

Dad : Yes, of course, cars are safe and lovely.

Me : In all honesty, if something were to happen, and I had a crash at, say 80, what are the chances of me getting out of my safe and lovely car in anything other than a box?

Dad : Slim to none.

Me : Right, so basically the bike is no less safe?

Dad : *refuses to answer because he knows I've got a point*

I'm aware it's a bit of a morbid argument, but my Dad's a realist, and seems to understand the logic.
____________________
McGee - "When I go to the mall and see all the high school girls, I have to have DO NOT TOUCH THE GIRLS written on my hand. Every time I go to grope I see it and stop."
K7 GSXR750
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

olionel
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:27 - 23 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm, I havent told any of my relations that I have a bike... mum and dad live 2000miles away.. if I told them, they'd be worrying every single day about me as they dont see me everyday (infact 3 -4 times a year), then Id be worried because they worry.... I was just about to tell them last summer that I was thinking about biking (and this was when we were driving down a motorway) and to my luck one of the 3 bikes that shot passed us 20seconds ago had a blowout and it looked pretty nasty from a distance, and the dude only wearing a helmet, jeans and a tshirt (this is in Turkey) somehow hobbled away from the scene... then ye, I just didnt carry on talking about bikes... will have to tell them some time though...
____________________
1989 CG125 - Childhood Sweetheart (she got kidnapped by baddies)
1998 ZXR400 - Teenage Love (lasted three years, then she turned lesbian and left me)
2001 XRV750 - Wife Material (still getting to know her but head over heels in love)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

st3v3
Super Spammer



Joined: 16 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:37 - 23 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it simple cos I knew my dad rode bikes before my time, and only gave them up after I was about 6, so I saved up the cash, got me license(provisional), talked about it while out shopping(for food, not bikes) and he straight forward said I wasn't getting one, I argued(more convinced) with him about the pro's, as he knew the cons, found one for sale, talked to my mum(I was 16) and she seemed ok on the surface of it, so arranged a viewing, then hinted to me dad, who got the realized and took me to see it, where I came home with my nice shiny moped. Simple. Thumbs Up then about a year later he started claiming he only ever encouraged me to get one Rolling Eyes Laughing
____________________
Roger wrote: Women don't get damp for clingy puppies. Get some better happy pills, hit the gym & buy a medallion the size of a dinner plate. Job done
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:49 - 23 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 16 I mentioned to my dad that I wanted to get a moped and he said he'd rather I wait until I was 17 and got a bike that could keep up with traffic on A-roads.

Suited me Smile
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

st3v3
Super Spammer



Joined: 16 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:36 - 23 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

In hindsight, that is a very wise decision Cool
____________________
Roger wrote: Women don't get damp for clingy puppies. Get some better happy pills, hit the gym & buy a medallion the size of a dinner plate. Job done
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jull
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:58 - 23 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Convincing mother to get a bike?'

Just buy her a pink one with matching leathers I'm sure she'll love it Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 168 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 1.15 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 135.88 Kb