|
|
| Author |
Message |
| mattjs895 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mattjs895 Spanner Monkey

Joined: 26 Nov 2006 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| matthab |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 matthab Crazy Courier

Joined: 04 Dec 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 00:18 - 23 Apr 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
I had this problem with my whole familly. With such lines as "bikes are very dangerous, i hope your not thinking of getting a bigger one"
My argument is I enjoy it, cheaper to run than my 1993 vaxhaul corsa, quicker to work, cheaper to park in town and nice in the summer to pelt round the country side and get lost .
I find once a person has made up their minds they dont like bikes. Its very hard to change them. As they see a car safer and nicer, the safer bit i go with but the nicer can be nogotiated (SP).
You really need to argu the good points against the bad, anyone whos done English GCSE lately will know exactly what im on about.
The best argument i found was i need my independce when i was 16 and parent agreed with me so i got my first bike and its growing from there. IF hes 17+ then you cant argue this one much lol.
Hope this helps matt ____________________ 2005 - 2006:Peugeot jet force 50 TDSI (sold)
2006 - Present: Yamaha YBR125 06 (extras:pilot sporty tyres and screen)
Last edited by matthab on 00:38 - 23 Apr 2007; edited 1 time in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| monty |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 monty Nitrous Nuisance
Joined: 22 Apr 2007 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| 0ddball |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 0ddball World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Jul 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| st3v3 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 st3v3 Super Spammer

Joined: 16 Oct 2006 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Mooncatt |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mooncatt Brolly Dolly
Joined: 08 Dec 2006 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Wooly R6 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Wooly R6 World Chat Champion

Joined: 19 May 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Andy C |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Andy C Tree Seeking Missile

Joined: 26 Apr 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 09:22 - 23 Apr 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
I spend 2months in hospital last year due to bikes and my parents tried most things to get me to not ride again but they knew its what i love and let me get on with it.
I think you friends should just be honest with them and say he realises the danger involved, and as a consequence will get the right protective clothing. This may show his mum hes taking a mature approach to it and may respect his decision a but more  ____________________ 99 RS125 --> 02 SV650s --> 03 Speed Four --> 92 RXS100 --> 93 CB400sf --> 01 CB600f Hornet |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Wooly R6 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Wooly R6 World Chat Champion

Joined: 19 May 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 09:28 - 23 Apr 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
How are you, i remember the accident posted on here ages ago, but i dont really keep up with some topics.  ____________________ R6 has been sold - 2004 Honda VFR VTEC now sold too - no bike at the moment |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Skudd |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Skudd Super Spammer

Joined: 01 Oct 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| iooi |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 iooi Super Spammer

Joined: 14 Jan 2007 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Andy C |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Andy C Tree Seeking Missile

Joined: 26 Apr 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| virus |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 virus World Chat Champion

Joined: 17 Aug 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 10:10 - 23 Apr 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
The only reason I convinced my parents was for a bit of help affording it Otherwise the first they would know would be when theres a bike chained up in the back garden  ____________________ own: 81 xs1100g...
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| atom |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 atom Scooby Slapper

Joined: 26 Apr 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| THCi Nathan's Mom |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 THCi Nathan's Mom L Plate Warrior
Joined: 10 Apr 2007 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| yambabe |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 yambabe World Chat Champion

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 12:33 - 23 Apr 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
Well put Tracy.
However much we love our sons we can't live their lives for them.
If your mum loves you she will swallow any fears she may have and present you with a big smile when you talk about your bike - you should not be able to tell if it is genuine or not! ____________________ Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Jammy-R6 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Jammy-R6 Scooby Slapper

Joined: 19 Feb 2006 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| JonB |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 JonB Afraid of Mileage

Joined: 03 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 12:51 - 23 Apr 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
I think it's right for a mother to be concerned about their sons welfare, however it isn't right to tell them not to get one. A parent can persuade their child not to get one, or can give pros and cons against it, however if they get the bike, generally I believe they should be fully behind them.
When I got my bike my Mum was and still is worried, however she would never go out of her way to stop me having a bike.  ____________________ Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| WeeSuziB |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 WeeSuziB Nova Slayer

Joined: 13 Apr 2007 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 13:08 - 23 Apr 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
I don't even have my own bike, though this doesn't stop my mum going into complete hysterics when I go out with my bf.
I have to agree with what most people have said, your friend needs a mature argument. Obviously his mum will worry but with the right kind of talking and approach hopefully she will see his side of it, she may not agree with it, but she may at least come around.
I'm looking to get my own bike soon enough and the way I think I'm going to talk to my mum about it is that,
(1)would she not rather me know what I'm doing with my own bike
(2) Transportation & Independence - not having to rely on other people to give lifts/spend money on taxi/bus. *Here my mum is going to say why don't i just get a car, but explain they are more efficient & fun (though I wouldn't lay the fun part on too much)
(3) Obviously safety, reinforce that with all the right clothing you will be a lot safer.
So on and so forth, best of luck to your friend! ____________________ "take pacman for example,if computer games influenced kids, then we would all be running around a dark room trying to eat magic pills while being chased by monsters and listening to repetitive electronic music"
Northern Irish? www.nibikers.com |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dave McCool |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dave McCool World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Jun 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 14:59 - 23 Apr 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
The argument I'm currently using to get my mum and dad off my back goes as follows:
Me : You're happy for me to drive my car (Citroen AX) up and down the motorway all the time aren't you?
Dad : Yes, of course, cars are safe and lovely.
Me : In all honesty, if something were to happen, and I had a crash at, say 80, what are the chances of me getting out of my safe and lovely car in anything other than a box?
Dad : Slim to none.
Me : Right, so basically the bike is no less safe?
Dad : *refuses to answer because he knows I've got a point*
I'm aware it's a bit of a morbid argument, but my Dad's a realist, and seems to understand the logic. ____________________ McGee - "When I go to the mall and see all the high school girls, I have to have DO NOT TOUCH THE GIRLS written on my hand. Every time I go to grope I see it and stop."
K7 GSXR750 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| olionel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 olionel Brolly Dolly

Joined: 22 Dec 2006 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| st3v3 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 st3v3 Super Spammer

Joined: 16 Oct 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 17:37 - 23 Apr 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
I found it simple cos I knew my dad rode bikes before my time, and only gave them up after I was about 6, so I saved up the cash, got me license(provisional), talked about it while out shopping(for food, not bikes) and he straight forward said I wasn't getting one, I argued(more convinced) with him about the pro's, as he knew the cons, found one for sale, talked to my mum(I was 16) and she seemed ok on the surface of it, so arranged a viewing, then hinted to me dad, who got the realized and took me to see it, where I came home with my nice shiny moped. Simple. then about a year later he started claiming he only ever encouraged me to get one  ____________________ Roger wrote: Women don't get damp for clingy puppies. Get some better happy pills, hit the gym & buy a medallion the size of a dinner plate. Job done |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pete. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pete. Super Spammer

Joined: 22 Aug 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 17:49 - 23 Apr 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
At 16 I mentioned to my dad that I wanted to get a moped and he said he'd rather I wait until I was 17 and got a bike that could keep up with traffic on A-roads.
Suited me  ____________________ a.k.a 'Geri'
132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| st3v3 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 st3v3 Super Spammer

Joined: 16 Oct 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 18:36 - 23 Apr 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
In hindsight, that is a very wise decision  ____________________ Roger wrote: Women don't get damp for clingy puppies. Get some better happy pills, hit the gym & buy a medallion the size of a dinner plate. Job done |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Jull |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Jull Spanner Monkey
Joined: 12 Mar 2007 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 18:58 - 23 Apr 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
'Convincing mother to get a bike?'
Just buy her a pink one with matching leathers I'm sure she'll love it  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 19 years, 168 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|