|
|
| Author |
Message |
| phantomtek |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 phantomtek Lil Joe Tek
Joined: 20 May 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 21:52 - 04 Sep 2007 Post subject: Help! |
 |
|
Hi guys,
Got my GSXR600Y on saturday, and been riding it about. I noticed that it was jumping forward abit under normal acceleration, lurching forward slightly, sometimes not so bad but sometimes alot, what could this be? Does it alot, not just once.
To remedy it, I decided to take the bike apart and have a look around, the air filter was filthy so I cleaned and oiled it with K&N stuff (It's a BMC filter), the amount of shit that came out of it was unreal! I noticed upon putting the airbox back on that it doesn't sit flush on the ram air ducts on the frame, would this be a major problem?
Anyway, got the airbox off and checked the cables for play and they were fine, changed 3 of the plugs (All that halfrauds had in, one was semi ok so I left that one) and put it back together and started it up, also turned the idle up as it was warming so that it wouldn't die, but I think the choke might be stuck or something as as I rev it, it takes longer than usual for the revs to drop. Is this what would be causing it?
Gonna pull it apart again tomorrow anyway, how much would a mechanic charge to clean and balance my carbs (I think it needs doing?) if they charge £30 an hour?
Cheers. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Im-a-Ridah |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Im-a-Ridah World Chat Champion
Joined: 20 Oct 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 22:03 - 04 Sep 2007 Post subject: Re: Help! |
 |
|
| phantomtek wrote: | Hi guys,
Got my GSXR600Y on saturday, and been riding it about. I noticed that it was jumping forward abit under normal acceleration, lurching forward slightly, sometimes not so bad but sometimes alot, what could this be? Does it alot, not just once.
To remedy it, I decided to take the bike apart and have a look around, the air filter was filthy so I cleaned and oiled it with K&N stuff (It's a BMC filter), the amount of shit that came out of it was unreal! I noticed upon putting the airbox back on that it doesn't sit flush on the ram air ducts on the frame, would this be a major problem?
Anyway, got the airbox off and checked the cables for play and they were fine, changed 3 of the plugs (All that halfrauds had in, one was semi ok so I left that one) and put it back together and started it up, also turned the idle up as it was warming so that it wouldn't die, but I think the choke might be stuck or something as as I rev it, it takes longer than usual for the revs to drop. Is this what would be causing it?
Gonna pull it apart again tomorrow anyway, how much would a mechanic charge to clean and balance my carbs (I think it needs doing?) if they charge £30 an hour?
Cheers. |
Well if it was me I'd run some carb cleaner through it before taking it to a mechanic  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| hmmmnz |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 hmmmnz Super Spammer

Joined: 22 Aug 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 07:01 - 05 Sep 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
generally when the revs take longer to drop, it indicates that you have an air leak, since you took the air box off. i will assume that its you havn't made a good seal over 1 or more of the carbs.
it would be cheaper for you to buy a set of balancers, and do it your self than take it to a mechanic
have fun ____________________ the humans are dead
I kick arse for the lord
Wiring Diagrams BIDNIP it bitches |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Marah |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Marah World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 Jun 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 09:42 - 05 Sep 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
I got a Carbtune direct from the company arrived next day took about an hour to do it first time next time it will be half that as I know what I am doing now, its fairly straight forward. It will cost about the same as taking it to a garage next time though you'll be doing it for free  ____________________ Someone complimented me on my driving. They left a note on my windscreen, it said "Parking Fine"
Old Bikes -1990 Yamaha DT50MX > 1988 Kawasaki KMX125 > 1991 Kawasaki KMX125 > 1981 Yamaha XS250SE > 2000 Suzuki Bandit 600 > 1999 Kawasaki ZX7R Ninja
Bike - 1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| phantomtek |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 phantomtek Lil Joe Tek
Joined: 20 May 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 12:44 - 05 Sep 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
Cheers guys, I'm going to go see if it does indeed have a leak shortly!
And Marah, I think I will invest in one of those sets, seen as you are right, though I still don't know how to clean the carbs! That looks really easy to do aswell, cheers for that!
What materials do I need to clean a set of carbs, or if anyone has a walkthrough that would be great!  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| hmmmnz |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 hmmmnz Super Spammer

Joined: 22 Aug 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 14:57 - 05 Sep 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| phantomtek |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 phantomtek Lil Joe Tek
Joined: 20 May 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 15:30 - 05 Sep 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
I discovered the carbs weren't seated on the engine properly, so I've sorted that, and now I'm off out for a test
And I will do, cheers  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| phantomtek |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 phantomtek Lil Joe Tek
Joined: 20 May 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 18:00 - 05 Sep 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
It's still fockin doing it! Just the juddering thing though, not the rest, I think its definitely the carbs though so I'll give em a good clean and see how it goes, going to order the carb balancer thingy too as I could charge my mates a fiver a pop to balance their carbs
If anyone can tell me for definite what the jumpiness is, I will be forever in your debt.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| finpos |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 finpos World Chat Champion
Joined: 13 Sep 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| yambabe |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 yambabe World Chat Champion

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 00:45 - 08 Sep 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
I think I had a similar thing with my Intruder last month. Does it kind of feel like it's surging forward and then dropping back all by itself even though the revs are constant? Does it feel like it might be going to drop a cylinder when you are going slowly (sub-30 mph) and particularly on slow turns? Feels a bit gutless in 1st and 2nd gears, or at least more gutless than you were expecting? Any popping or backfiring from the exhaust?
Mine turned out to be the air mixture not set properly. Got it adjusted when the bike went in for its first service and it's been absolutely fine ever since. It might be worth you checking? ____________________ Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| phantomtek |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 phantomtek Lil Joe Tek
Joined: 20 May 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 09:40 - 08 Sep 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
Cheers for that, will sort the mixture when I clean the carbs (I don't know how but I'll get there
My carbtune arrived this morning, along with braided lines and bungs! Was setting myself for a nice full day tinkering, when my boss calls and said someone has called in sick and I will get extra if I go in today! So I can't really refuse, get myself some nice bike money
But cheers for the advice guys, I will check both those things  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TUG |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TUG World Chat Champion
Joined: 12 May 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 11:14 - 08 Sep 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
possible that your clutch is going? but i'd say its the mixture on your bike, mine is doing same at 4000rpm new zhaurst and not chanced mixture, make sure they're in sync too.
 ____________________ Haz ER-5, innit! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| phantomtek |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 phantomtek Lil Joe Tek
Joined: 20 May 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TUG |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TUG World Chat Champion
Joined: 12 May 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 16:56 - 08 Sep 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
if its ticking, its too lean, if it gets hot quick then its again too lean, if it takes ages for it to heat up its running too rich, and if it back fires when u slow down then its running too lean agin or could be rich too.
 ____________________ Haz ER-5, innit! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 19 years, 31 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|