Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Help!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek



Joined: 20 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:52 - 04 Sep 2007    Post subject: Help! Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Got my GSXR600Y on saturday, and been riding it about. I noticed that it was jumping forward abit under normal acceleration, lurching forward slightly, sometimes not so bad but sometimes alot, what could this be? Does it alot, not just once.

To remedy it, I decided to take the bike apart and have a look around, the air filter was filthy so I cleaned and oiled it with K&N stuff (It's a BMC filter), the amount of shit that came out of it was unreal! I noticed upon putting the airbox back on that it doesn't sit flush on the ram air ducts on the frame, would this be a major problem?

Anyway, got the airbox off and checked the cables for play and they were fine, changed 3 of the plugs (All that halfrauds had in, one was semi ok so I left that one) and put it back together and started it up, also turned the idle up as it was warming so that it wouldn't die, but I think the choke might be stuck or something as as I rev it, it takes longer than usual for the revs to drop. Is this what would be causing it?

Gonna pull it apart again tomorrow anyway, how much would a mechanic charge to clean and balance my carbs (I think it needs doing?) if they charge £30 an hour?

Cheers.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:03 - 04 Sep 2007    Post subject: Re: Help! Reply with quote

phantomtek wrote:
Hi guys,

Got my GSXR600Y on saturday, and been riding it about. I noticed that it was jumping forward abit under normal acceleration, lurching forward slightly, sometimes not so bad but sometimes alot, what could this be? Does it alot, not just once.

To remedy it, I decided to take the bike apart and have a look around, the air filter was filthy so I cleaned and oiled it with K&N stuff (It's a BMC filter), the amount of shit that came out of it was unreal! I noticed upon putting the airbox back on that it doesn't sit flush on the ram air ducts on the frame, would this be a major problem?

Anyway, got the airbox off and checked the cables for play and they were fine, changed 3 of the plugs (All that halfrauds had in, one was semi ok so I left that one) and put it back together and started it up, also turned the idle up as it was warming so that it wouldn't die, but I think the choke might be stuck or something as as I rev it, it takes longer than usual for the revs to drop. Is this what would be causing it?

Gonna pull it apart again tomorrow anyway, how much would a mechanic charge to clean and balance my carbs (I think it needs doing?) if they charge £30 an hour?

Cheers.


Well if it was me I'd run some carb cleaner through it before taking it to a mechanic Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hmmmnz
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:01 - 05 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

generally when the revs take longer to drop, it indicates that you have an air leak, since you took the air box off. i will assume that its you havn't made a good seal over 1 or more of the carbs.

it would be cheaper for you to buy a set of balancers, and do it your self than take it to a mechanic Thumbs Up
have fun
____________________
the humans are dead
I kick arse for the lord
Wiring Diagrams BIDNIP it bitches
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Marah
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:42 - 05 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Carbtune direct from the company arrived next day took about an hour to do it first time next time it will be half that as I know what I am doing now, its fairly straight forward. It will cost about the same as taking it to a garage next time though you'll be doing it for free Thumbs Up
____________________
Someone complimented me on my driving. They left a note on my windscreen, it said "Parking Fine" Very Happy
Old Bikes -1990 Yamaha DT50MX > 1988 Kawasaki KMX125 > 1991 Kawasaki KMX125 > 1981 Yamaha XS250SE > 2000 Suzuki Bandit 600 > 1999 Kawasaki ZX7R Ninja
Bike - 1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek



Joined: 20 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:44 - 05 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys, I'm going to go see if it does indeed have a leak shortly!

And Marah, I think I will invest in one of those sets, seen as you are right, though I still don't know how to clean the carbs! That looks really easy to do aswell, cheers for that!

What materials do I need to clean a set of carbs, or if anyone has a walkthrough that would be great! Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hmmmnz
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:57 - 05 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres a good walk through
https://oldmanhonda.com/MC/Rcarbs.html or here https://www.dansmc.com/carbs.htm
you could take pics when you do yours, so others can see how easy it is Very Happy
____________________
the humans are dead
I kick arse for the lord
Wiring Diagrams BIDNIP it bitches
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek



Joined: 20 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:30 - 05 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I discovered the carbs weren't seated on the engine properly, so I've sorted that, and now I'm off out for a test Very Happy

And I will do, cheers Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek



Joined: 20 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:00 - 05 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's still fockin doing it! Just the juddering thing though, not the rest, I think its definitely the carbs though so I'll give em a good clean and see how it goes, going to order the carb balancer thingy too as I could charge my mates a fiver a pop to balance their carbs Laughing

If anyone can tell me for definite what the jumpiness is, I will be forever in your debt. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

finpos
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:04 - 07 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revs not dropping was prob. the air leak.

Sudden power surges, I would say, are usually caused by one of the pistons suddenly kicking back IN, i.e. it runs on 3 pots most of the time with the fourth banging in and out as it sees fit which causes the jerkiness. That's normally an electrical problem, and that's normally the HT leads. Would have thought the new plugs may have made it a bit better if that was the case.

f.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:45 - 08 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I had a similar thing with my Intruder last month. Does it kind of feel like it's surging forward and then dropping back all by itself even though the revs are constant? Does it feel like it might be going to drop a cylinder when you are going slowly (sub-30 mph) and particularly on slow turns? Feels a bit gutless in 1st and 2nd gears, or at least more gutless than you were expecting? Any popping or backfiring from the exhaust?

Mine turned out to be the air mixture not set properly. Got it adjusted when the bike went in for its first service and it's been absolutely fine ever since. It might be worth you checking?
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek



Joined: 20 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:40 - 08 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that, will sort the mixture when I clean the carbs (I don't know how but I'll get there Laughing

My carbtune arrived this morning, along with braided lines and bungs! Was setting myself for a nice full day tinkering, when my boss calls and said someone has called in sick and I will get extra if I go in today! So I can't really refuse, get myself some nice bike money Very Happy

But cheers for the advice guys, I will check both those things Thumbs Up Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TUG
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:14 - 08 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

possible that your clutch is going? but i'd say its the mixture on your bike, mine is doing same at 4000rpm new zhaurst and not chanced mixture, make sure they're in sync too. Very Happy Thumbs Up

Karma
____________________
Haz ER-5, innit!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek



Joined: 20 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:28 - 08 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone got any tips on sorting out the mixture?

I was going to use a Colortune but I don't think it would be easy on a bike, as the spark plugs are sunk into the engine head!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TUG
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:56 - 08 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

if its ticking, its too lean, if it gets hot quick then its again too lean, if it takes ages for it to heat up its running too rich, and if it back fires when u slow down then its running too lean agin or could be rich too. Thumbs Up

Karma
____________________
Haz ER-5, innit!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 31 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.7 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 85.99 Kb