Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Do you hate driving cars?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Cigaro
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:35 - 19 Nov 2007    Post subject: Do you hate driving cars? Reply with quote

Since taking up riding bikes I have grown an aversion to driving cars. It's not that I particularly dislike the things, but when I'm in the driver's seat I find I become very nervous about the sheer size of it, and the number of blind spots.

Do any of you feel the same?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Barry_M2
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:43 - 19 Nov 2007    Post subject: Re: Do you hate driving cars? Reply with quote

TheBassJunky wrote:
Do any of you feel the same?


Not really.

But the 'A' pillar does pi$$ me off when going round roundabouts! find myself having to lean forward to see round it.

Thumbs Up
____________________
ZXR750R (M2) - For the road.
CBR1000 RR4 - For the track.
https://www.bikechatforums.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4332
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Misc
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Aug 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:45 - 19 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

It becomes the norm after a few weeks, & they're much more fun in the wet then bikes.
I can't bay park tho.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Cigaro
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:47 - 19 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had cars for several years before I even set foot on two wheels, and I've always been a very nervous car driver.

Just seem to have more confidence on a bike.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ram_doom
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:47 - 19 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never liked driving cars all that much. I started on bikes, maybe thats why, but I hate the A pillar, the rearview mirror too, you just seem to have bugger all visibility at junctions etc. Also getting stuck in traffic really winds me up, and in winter, being freezing cold for 10 minutes or so until the heater warms up a bit.
____________________
TL1000s, KDX200
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Feasty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:57 - 19 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love riding my bike but when it's cold or the traffic isn't too bad I prefer the car. Safer, faster, warmer and all round easier! Cool
____________________
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:37 - 19 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I detest driving my car. If I didn't have to have one for work, I wouldn't have one at all. In addition to the A-pillars and the rearview mirror I am always having to slap passengers hands away from the sun visor. I also don't like the B-pillars, the roof, being strapped in, the control arrangement (what the hell is that all about, you need to let go of one thing to work another?) the slowness, the width and the inability to filter.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:05 - 19 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love driving cars. Always have, always will.

They do have their problems though;

- Too slow;
- Can't filter;
- Pain in the arse to work on.

They are, however, much easier, IMO, to take up to their limits and get them sliding, and the consequences of fucking up are less.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jamie.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:26 - 19 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a thread about this a year ago, I felt the car was too big and the road was too small. I've been driving for a good while now and I have to say that fear is gone! Alough I still don't like reversing as I drive a van in work and you can't see fuck all!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nb
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:27 - 19 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to drive cars a lot due to my job, but i'd be lucky if i drove my own car twice in one week. I hate driving cars to be honest, i find cars too slow and if you hit traffic your knackered.
Parking is another thing that boils my blood, if i dont get parked in the car within 2 minutes of going to the city centre i just fuck off back home before someone gets run over. Evil or Very Mad
So i take my bike up to the city and park right outside a police station and im all sorted. Mr. Green
____________________
Cbr1100xx blackbird gone, mk4 golf gt tdi chav now
Colin1 wrote 'Im grateful for what i can get, which isnt all that much.'
Columbus travel insurance are crap!! Do not use!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

palmer
Fiddled Kiddy



Joined: 21 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:33 - 19 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love cars as much as bikes, for different reasons Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:33 - 19 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you all hate me..... I've been riding for 5 years now, on road, off road and stunt riding. I've done winters, long distance, commuting... had numerous bikes and love em all.

but for road I will always have a car now.. I love driving and riding, but the riding I love is too "extreme" for the road and will end up with me losing my licence.. not trying to say I'm such a good rider or anything I just mean I like stunting too much.

I love driving cars so much, and I'm much faster in a car, I REALLY want to try rally driving when costs allow.. I just feel a lot more confident cornering a car than a bike...

I love both to be honest but for different reasons! Stunt bikes, drive cars fast Laughing
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:59 - 19 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good car is better on the road more of the time than a good bike, but a good bike is better when the conditions allow.

But I can't find any joy in driving an 1100cc fiesta everywhere TBH, it has to be a half decent car, preferably RWD or 4WD with more than 160bhp.

220bhp Subaru Impreza? That'll do nicely! Smile
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iCraig
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:11 - 19 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I passed my car test I've prefered cars. Mainly cos their safer more practical and warmer.

I thought I'd miss bikes but I don't. I don't miss having to put the gear on nor do I miss not filtering.

And I have a fairly decent-ish car, which handles well and its quickish for its size. Just 1.6 Litre engines aren't very economical.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:17 - 19 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Cars are fine. Do enjoy driving them sometimes. Just harder to find an enjoyable car or a place to enjoy it.

A post is a pain though. As is the difficulty parking, and paying for parking. And the trouble filtering.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr jamez
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:24 - 19 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've decided that bikes suit me better for going 'fast' and daily pootling around. I've got a pinto'd MK2 escort which I'm putting on the road in the spring time, but that is just for tinkering with and messing about in (welded diff anyone Razz) Will also be useful for carting junk about.
____________________
NSR 125F > BROS 400 > NC30 > BROS 400 > Trumpet S4 > '97 VFR 750
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

McGee
O RLY?



Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:34 - 19 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love to drive.

I like having a decent sound system and cold air and heat when I need it.

I also like doing different things like drifting and track days. Took up off roading but don't like it no where near as fun as racing.

But they can never replace a bike to me. Mr. Green
____________________
◙◙► K6 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 1000 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► 96 RF600r ◄◙◙
◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►
Its pronounced Jixxer!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:23 - 19 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dislike driving unless it is for pleasure, always prefer the bike. I hate driving the instructors modern econobox, though I like it when I'm out in my Viva, it's fun on it's skinny tyres with the sub 800 kilo kerb weight.
____________________
Bikes: too many, too much for one man to maintain anyway.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:18 - 19 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like other people have said, like riding and driving for different reasons.

I like being able to have a car at the end of it's limits, where you can feel the front wheels starting to slip away from you and have to bring it back in. Not much chance of coming cropper, on a bike you do that and the wheels do go, well you are on the floor. Laughing

However, there is nothing like flying about on the bike at silly speeds and being able to overtake at will.

Going into bikes wasn't part of my lifeplan, always loved cars since such a young age, but I love both for different reasons.
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:22 - 19 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

220bhp Subaru Impreza? That'll do nicely! Smile


Pah. Wink

I love driving mine, it's 275bhp and 4WD and the best thing about it is that it's a Passat and people dont expect it to be as fast as it is. Laughing
____________________
If you dont like the way that I ride.......Stop trying to keep up!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

numark1
Scared of girls



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:28 - 20 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

Cars are fine. Do enjoy driving them sometimes. Just harder to find an enjoyable car or a place to enjoy it.

A post is a pain though. As is the difficulty parking, and paying for parking. And the trouble filtering.

All the best

Keith



I am the same, however i think that to enjoy a car as much as a bike, in regard to performance or handling you need to spend a hell of a lot more money.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter



Joined: 01 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:10 - 20 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more wheels, the better Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

california_rookie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:41 - 20 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd actually prefer a moderately well-powered car to my bike most days. Two wheels are for the track, weekends, and when I just don't wanna drive the car. The only rules are, it'd have to be stick and rear wheel drive.
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/californiarookie/04gsxr600/
https://www.myspace.com/spapadillion
https://steamcommunity.com/id/spapadillion
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Harold_Shand
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:32 - 20 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhh, I LOVE driving. I only wish I had the dough to buy a car that can match even a half decent bikes acceleration. Looking for a car at the moment as I don't think mine is going to make it through the MOT due to the remarkable corrosion. Really fancy a Clio 192, I'm probably going to end up with a Scenic or a Multipla, happy happy joy joy.
____________________
BCF's 6th favourite poster 2009-2010

Harold_Shand's theory might be the best explanation.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 319 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.86 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 130.47 Kb