Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


How do I hack into my own router?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:38 - 20 Dec 2007    Post subject: How do I hack into my own router? Reply with quote

Stupid problem, not of my making but I thought I'd have a go at fixing it again. (got fed up last time)

Out of goodwill I am allowing work to use my computer for their internet access on a single PC in the branch surgery downstairs. If I didn't they'd have to put in another phone line which stupid for the 30 minutes a day it is open.

Trouble is, I'm pretty sure they've* firewalled stuff I need using the routers hardware firewall. In particular it regularly makes gmail and photobucket uploads go tits-up (they say they haven't, I don't believe them). I also want to disable their remote access port so they have to ask me nicely if they want to change anything again (and so there isn't a wide open hole in the security).

They cannae get on my computer mind. I have my own firewall and the guy at the consultants place expressed surprise when I sent him an email as I was on the phone. "Is your PC using that connection now?" "Yes, I just emailed you off it." "What the hell are you running, I can't see it?" "Good.".

Now, easy to fix eh? Nope. They've remotely moved the router off 192.168.1.1 and I don't know where it is. They may have passworded it but I can't even find that out (and their passwords are weak, it'll be one of three).

So, any way of finding out my router address so I can access the setup screen? (NOT the WAN address, I want its LAN address).

I could reset it but then I'll lose the settings that let the work computer talk to the other work computers (and I don't know how to put them back).

It's not a huge problem. I have another router setup how I want it, it just means I'm always having to swap plugs round (and sometimes forget to plug the work one back in which causes chaos). Ideally I would use my router and transfer the settings across to allow the work computer to function. My router is better and faster than their one.

Oh, I'm running Ubuntu linux which comes with all manner of network tools such as: ping, traceroute, netstat, portscan, lookup finger and whois. I know what ping does, the others are a bit of a mystery but I'm sure they are useful.

*They = Computer consultants located hundreds of miles away who are never available when you call for support.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:52 - 20 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try
Network proprities and then tcp/ip proticol propities, may be listed under default gateway.
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:16 - 20 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
Try
Network proprities and then tcp/ip proticol propities, may be listed under default gateway.


No luck there. Thanks for trying though.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Burnside
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 29 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:25 - 20 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

type ipconfig /all at the command prompt - the default gateway will be the router's ip address.

to get to the command prompt:
Click Start> Run
type cmd click OK

[EDIT] trying to find a way of hacking the password, will get back to you... Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:43 - 20 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

hollyj wrote:
type ipconfig /all at the command prompt - the default gateway will be the router's ip address.

to get to the command prompt:
Click Start> Run
type cmd click OK

[EDIT] trying to find a way of hacking the password, will get back to you... Wink


Err. No windows on this machine so no 'run' command. I can get a unix terminal up.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:47 - 20 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a unix session, try :-

traceroute www.google.com

You should get the route to Google, your router should be the first hop.

https://linux.about.com/library/cmd/blcmdl8_traceroute.htm

In windows, you'd do it in a command window :-

tracert www.google.com
____________________
Current: CB500 Previous: CB100N, CB250RS, XJ900F, GT550, GPZ750R/1000RX, AJS M16, R100RT, Enfield Bullet

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Burnside
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 29 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:00 - 21 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Err. No windows on this machine so no 'run' command. I can get a unix terminal up.


Bugger, didn't read your post right oopsy daisy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:04 - 21 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Ubuntu box

Code:
sudo route -n


will give you something like:

Code:
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
0.0.0.0         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0


where 192.168.1.0 will be your network and 192.168.1.1 will be the router (I know it's not but it will be the line with "UG" on it). Once you have the IP and know what type of router it is, you should be able to bring up the login page via a browser and enter one of the three passwords, et voila!
____________________
"That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:27 - 21 Dec 2007    Post subject: Re: How do I hack into my own router? Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Ideally I would use my router and transfer the settings across to allow the work computer to function. My router is better and faster than their one.


Is it a router or an "adsl modem"? Possibly turn the "modem" off on their router, plug your router in as the main one and just have theirs hanging off yours via a network cable. Basically what we have done with a wireless "adsl router / modem" and then with a normal wired router hanging off that for most use.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:38 - 21 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Think I found it. Doesn't connect to anything when I type the address into firefox though.

I think I also found something interesting while I've been messing on. Their router is assigning the DNS address as their own server. My router sets it as the default ISP DNS server. Reckon this could be screwing things up?

Just to confirm. I read this as my router being on 192.168.8.100 and in theory, if I type that into the browser I should either get onto the router setup or be told to piss off and come back when I know the password?
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:48 - 21 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, bazzas comes up with a different one.
Code:
Kernel IP routeing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.8.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
169.254.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.0.0     U     1000   0        0 eth0
0.0.0.0         192.168.8.99    0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0


This also draws a blank when typed into the browser. How annoying!

@ Keith. Both proper ADSL 2/2+ routers.

Fast getting fed up with this again. It's like Brick Wall . Why do computer consultants have to be so fecking arsey? It's my bloody computer, it's my internet connection. If I want to fuck about with it then I should be able to, even if this means I screw everything up.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:56 - 21 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The security aspect annoys me as well. With my setup, it is fully stealthed when you do a security scan. With theirs, it has reverse DNS lookup and three open ports. (I've closed them locally on my machine, but still, it's a bit shit).
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:00 - 21 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your IP: 192.168.8.100

Router IP: 192.168.8.99

You may have to enter a port number at the end of the URL for the web page, something like:

Code:
http://192.168.8.99:8080


where 8080 is the port number.

Look up the router on google and see what the default port is.
____________________
"That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:19 - 21 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahah! remember those open ports I was whinging about?

It was one of them! (they'd changed the port it was working from too)

Now I just need to guess the password.

Cheers Thumbs Up
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA_old
Nova Slayer



Joined: 06 Dec 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:51 - 21 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oi oi stinkwheel.

Matey whats the make and model of the router?

Im a network geek for a living. Ive had loads practice getting into "locked down" routers.

also, look on the back of the router. if it has a tiny reset button hold it down, take the power lead out, 5secs, plug it in still holding the reset button for a further 30secs.

that will make it go back to its default settings. the default user name and password vary from make to make. try these combinations though

un - admin / pw - admin
un - admin / no password

if they dont work let me know the make and ill get the info for ya.

Peace out
____________________
Everyone is entitled to MY opinion
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

feef
Energiser Bunny



Joined: 11 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:16 - 21 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
Oi oi stinkwheel.

Matey whats the make and model of the router?

Im a network geek for a living. Ive had loads practice getting into "locked down" routers.

also, look on the back of the router. if it has a tiny reset button hold it down, take the power lead out, 5secs, plug it in still holding the reset button for a further 30secs.

that will make it go back to its default settings. the default user name and password vary from make to make. try these combinations though

un - admin / pw - admin
un - admin / no password

if they dont work let me know the make and ill get the info for ya.

Peace out


That's assuming it's a 'retail' router like a Linksys or Netgear..

I'd like to see you do that on one of my Cisco jobbies Very Happy

a
____________________
Mudskipper wrote: feef, that is such a beautiful post that it gave me a lady tingle Laughing
Windchill calculator - London Bike parking
Blog and stuff - PlentyMoreFish dating
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

swaffs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:45 - 21 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

and the fact he already said he could reset it , but doesn't want to!
____________________
Swaffs Photography |
BCF vinyl stickers
"Look not back in anger, nor forward in fear, but around you in awareness."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

GodzGift
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:23 - 21 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once your logged into the routers admin interface, you may want to update the routers firmware.

Get the firmware from the manufacturers site.
____________________
Bike Level: Amateur | CBT Passed
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:23 - 21 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

GodzGift wrote:
Once your logged into the routers admin interface, you may want to update the routers firmware.


Or, if the router's working fine as it is, you may want to leave the firmware alone.
____________________
Current: CB500 Previous: CB100N, CB250RS, XJ900F, GT550, GPZ750R/1000RX, AJS M16, R100RT, Enfield Bullet

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

GodzGift
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:38 - 22 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheShaggyDA wrote:
GodzGift wrote:
Once your logged into the routers admin interface, you may want to update the routers firmware.


Or, if the router's working fine as it is, you may want to leave the firmware alone.


It may improve performance if you do so.
____________________
Bike Level: Amateur | CBT Passed
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

djr
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Nov 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:06 - 23 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

feef wrote:
CaNsA wrote:
Oi oi stinkwheel.

Matey whats the make and model of the router?

Im a network geek for a living. Ive had loads practice getting into "locked down" routers.

also, look on the back of the router. if it has a tiny reset button hold it down, take the power lead out, 5secs, plug it in still holding the reset button for a further 30secs.

that will make it go back to its default settings. the default user name and password vary from make to make. try these combinations though

un - admin / pw - admin
un - admin / no password

if they dont work let me know the make and ill get the info for ya.

Peace out


That's assuming it's a 'retail' router like a Linksys or Netgear..

I'd like to see you do that on one of my Cisco jobbies Very Happy

a


Think he's said in the past it was one of the draytec vigor piles of rubbish... fucking horrible them boxes are :/.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jamie.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:23 - 24 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

GodzGift wrote:
It may improve performance if you do so.


It may permanently fuck the router if you do so.

I always say with firmware, If it ain't broke don't fix it!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:02 - 26 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

hollyj wrote:
type ipconfig /all at the command prompt - the default gateway will be the router's ip address.

to get to the command prompt:
Click Start> Run
type cmd click OK

[EDIT] trying to find a way of hacking the password, will get back to you... Wink


This depends on the router being a dhcp server and the pc being a dhcp client so not always foolproof.

Mark
____________________
Current bikes: Honda ST1100 Pan European. Moto Guzzi V85 TT Travel
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 286 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 1.15 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 131.38 Kb