|
|
| Author |
Message |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 22:38 - 20 Dec 2007 Post subject: How do I hack into my own router? |
 |
|
Stupid problem, not of my making but I thought I'd have a go at fixing it again. (got fed up last time)
Out of goodwill I am allowing work to use my computer for their internet access on a single PC in the branch surgery downstairs. If I didn't they'd have to put in another phone line which stupid for the 30 minutes a day it is open.
Trouble is, I'm pretty sure they've* firewalled stuff I need using the routers hardware firewall. In particular it regularly makes gmail and photobucket uploads go tits-up (they say they haven't, I don't believe them). I also want to disable their remote access port so they have to ask me nicely if they want to change anything again (and so there isn't a wide open hole in the security).
They cannae get on my computer mind. I have my own firewall and the guy at the consultants place expressed surprise when I sent him an email as I was on the phone. "Is your PC using that connection now?" "Yes, I just emailed you off it." "What the hell are you running, I can't see it?" "Good.".
Now, easy to fix eh? Nope. They've remotely moved the router off 192.168.1.1 and I don't know where it is. They may have passworded it but I can't even find that out (and their passwords are weak, it'll be one of three).
So, any way of finding out my router address so I can access the setup screen? (NOT the WAN address, I want its LAN address).
I could reset it but then I'll lose the settings that let the work computer talk to the other work computers (and I don't know how to put them back).
It's not a huge problem. I have another router setup how I want it, it just means I'm always having to swap plugs round (and sometimes forget to plug the work one back in which causes chaos). Ideally I would use my router and transfer the settings across to allow the work computer to function. My router is better and faster than their one.
Oh, I'm running Ubuntu linux which comes with all manner of network tools such as: ping, traceroute, netstat, portscan, lookup finger and whois. I know what ping does, the others are a bit of a mystery but I'm sure they are useful.
*They = Computer consultants located hundreds of miles away who are never available when you call for support. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| iooi |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 iooi Super Spammer

Joined: 14 Jan 2007 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 22:52 - 20 Dec 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
Try
Network proprities and then tcp/ip proticol propities, may be listed under default gateway. ____________________ Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am...... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Burnside |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Burnside Spanner Monkey

Joined: 29 Sep 2007 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 23:25 - 20 Dec 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
type ipconfig /all at the command prompt - the default gateway will be the router's ip address.
to get to the command prompt:
Click Start> Run
type cmd click OK
[EDIT] trying to find a way of hacking the password, will get back to you...  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 23:43 - 20 Dec 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
| hollyj wrote: | type ipconfig /all at the command prompt - the default gateway will be the router's ip address.
to get to the command prompt:
Click Start> Run
type cmd click OK
[EDIT] trying to find a way of hacking the password, will get back to you...  |
Err. No windows on this machine so no 'run' command. I can get a unix terminal up. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TheShaggyDA |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TheShaggyDA Repost Police

Joined: 14 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 23:47 - 20 Dec 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
In a unix session, try :-
traceroute www.google.com
You should get the route to Google, your router should be the first hop.
https://linux.about.com/library/cmd/blcmdl8_traceroute.htm
In windows, you'd do it in a command window :-
tracert www.google.com ____________________ Current: CB500 Previous: CB100N, CB250RS, XJ900F, GT550, GPZ750R/1000RX, AJS M16, R100RT, Enfield Bullet
[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581] |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Burnside |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Burnside Spanner Monkey

Joined: 29 Sep 2007 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| bazza |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 bazza World Chat Champion
Joined: 27 Aug 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 00:04 - 21 Dec 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
On the Ubuntu box
will give you something like:
| Code: | Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0 |
where 192.168.1.0 will be your network and 192.168.1.1 will be the router (I know it's not but it will be the line with "UG" on it). Once you have the IP and know what type of router it is, you should be able to bring up the login page via a browser and enter one of the three passwords, et voila! ____________________ "That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 00:38 - 21 Dec 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hmm. Think I found it. Doesn't connect to anything when I type the address into firefox though.
I think I also found something interesting while I've been messing on. Their router is assigning the DNS address as their own server. My router sets it as the default ISP DNS server. Reckon this could be screwing things up?
Just to confirm. I read this as my router being on 192.168.8.100 and in theory, if I type that into the browser I should either get onto the router setup or be told to piss off and come back when I know the password? ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 00:48 - 21 Dec 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
Ok, bazzas comes up with a different one.
| Code: | Kernel IP routeing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
192.168.8.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
169.254.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 1000 0 0 eth0
0.0.0.0 192.168.8.99 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0
|
This also draws a blank when typed into the browser. How annoying!
@ Keith. Both proper ADSL 2/2+ routers.
Fast getting fed up with this again. It's like . Why do computer consultants have to be so fecking arsey? It's my bloody computer, it's my internet connection. If I want to fuck about with it then I should be able to, even if this means I screw everything up. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 00:56 - 21 Dec 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
The security aspect annoys me as well. With my setup, it is fully stealthed when you do a security scan. With theirs, it has reverse DNS lookup and three open ports. (I've closed them locally on my machine, but still, it's a bit shit). ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| bazza |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 bazza World Chat Champion
Joined: 27 Aug 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 01:00 - 21 Dec 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
Your IP: 192.168.8.100
Router IP: 192.168.8.99
You may have to enter a port number at the end of the URL for the web page, something like:
| Code: | | http://192.168.8.99:8080 |
where 8080 is the port number.
Look up the router on google and see what the default port is. ____________________ "That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 01:19 - 21 Dec 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
Ahah! remember those open ports I was whinging about?
It was one of them! (they'd changed the port it was working from too)
Now I just need to guess the password.
Cheers  ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| CaNsA_old |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 CaNsA_old Nova Slayer

Joined: 06 Dec 2007 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| feef |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 feef Energiser Bunny

Joined: 11 Feb 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| swaffs |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 swaffs World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Mar 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 12:45 - 21 Dec 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
and the fact he already said he could reset it , but doesn't want to! ____________________ Swaffs Photography |
BCF vinyl stickers
"Look not back in anger, nor forward in fear, but around you in awareness." |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| GodzGift |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 GodzGift World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 May 2006 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TheShaggyDA |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TheShaggyDA Repost Police

Joined: 14 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 18:23 - 21 Dec 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
| GodzGift wrote: | Once your logged into the routers admin interface, you may want to update the routers firmware.
|
Or, if the router's working fine as it is, you may want to leave the firmware alone. ____________________ Current: CB500 Previous: CB100N, CB250RS, XJ900F, GT550, GPZ750R/1000RX, AJS M16, R100RT, Enfield Bullet
[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581] |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| GodzGift |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 GodzGift World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 May 2006 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| djr |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 djr World Chat Champion
Joined: 09 Nov 2003 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Jamie. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Jamie. World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Dec 2005 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| panrider_uk |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 panrider_uk World Chat Champion

Joined: 23 Sep 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 17:02 - 26 Dec 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
| hollyj wrote: | type ipconfig /all at the command prompt - the default gateway will be the router's ip address.
to get to the command prompt:
Click Start> Run
type cmd click OK
[EDIT] trying to find a way of hacking the password, will get back to you...  |
This depends on the router being a dhcp server and the pc being a dhcp client so not always foolproof.
Mark ____________________ Current bikes: Honda ST1100 Pan European. Moto Guzzi V85 TT Travel |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 18 years, 286 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|