Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Chains and Locks

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Pickledswede
Traffic Copper



Joined: 15 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:34 - 03 Jan 2009    Post subject: Chains and Locks Reply with quote

Ok I did a search and couldn't find anything, just wondering, how do you go about carrying your security stuff about.

I'm on the ped at the mo so have loads of room to bung my chain, lock, waterproof trousers and gym kit in on the way to college, but just thinking, when I get a real bike I'm gonna have nowhere to put all this stuff, and my bag is already full of books etc.

What do you do with your stuff (chains, locks, helmets, boots etc.) when you get to work/college/ whatever? And how do you carry it there in the first place?

Would you suggest a topbox or panniers or something?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pernig
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:07 - 03 Jan 2009    Post subject: Re: Chains and Locks Reply with quote

Pickledswede wrote:
What do you do with your stuff (chains, locks, helmets, boots etc.) when you get to work/college/ whatever? And how do you carry it there in the first place?


Disc lock I carry under the seat, as you're not supposed to put it in your pocket in case you have an accident and land on it etc. Unless I'm just going to the next village, which is lazy on my part and I wouldn't recommend you do that.

When I'm carrying my chain (it's a Krall 1.5m and goes quite compactly in its carry case) I normally put it in my backpack, but if there's no room there I wrap it around my grabrail. If you have a luggage rack or suitably strong grabrail you could tie the chain round that as I do, leaving you more space in your topbox/panniers/rucksack etc if you decide to get them.

Having my chain handy also got me out of trouble once when I lost my bungees. I used it to secure my tailpack to get me home.
____________________
H100 Breaking for spares
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pickledswede
Traffic Copper



Joined: 15 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:12 - 03 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought the disc lock may fit under the seat, wrapping the chain around the grab rail seems a good plan Thumbs Up
Guess I'll just have to fit my gym stuff in my bag somehow, if I don't wanna fork out for topbox/panniers.. then stuff it in my locker with helmet, boots, trousers, jacket... Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pernig
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:18 - 03 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pickledswede wrote:
Don't wanna fork out for topbox/panniers..


I find rucksack is fine for short journeys. I'm assuming you're not going a really long way with all your gym stuff etc. It's only on longer journeys when having the bag does my head in and starts to hurt my back/shoulders if I'm carrying a lot in it.

For long journeys soft luggage (eg tailpack and tankbag) is normally a pretty good compromise if you don't wanna fork out loads.
____________________
H100 Breaking for spares
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tafflade
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 27 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:59 - 03 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2m Almax chain wrapped around a metal post in work, the downside of this chain is the fact that it weighs about 3 stone Shocked

the rest of my kit goes into my topbox/panniers, I used to have a tankbag and rucksack combo on my previous bike, the other option is something like the ventura luggage tailpack that slips onto a grabrail type frame, the tailpacks are pretty huge but would probably cost a few quid

https://www.ventura-bike.co.uk/image.ashx?product=1&width=150
https://www.ventura-bike.co.uk/products/bikepack.aspx
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pernig
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:28 - 03 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

tafflade wrote:
I have a 2m Almax chain wrapped around a metal post in work, the downside of this chain is the fact that it weighs about 3 stone Shocked


I'd be worried about doing that as someone could quite easily come and weaken the chain when you're not at work, and finish the job quickly and quietly the next time you park up.
____________________
H100 Breaking for spares
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:28 - 03 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to sling it round my shoulder and waist, like a bandolier, if I didn't have a top box.

Woulda been a bit painful if I'da fell off and landed on it, but as a last minute emergency way of carting it about, it was alright.

Dunno what plod woulda thunk, but it worked for me at the time
Mr. Green
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pickledswede
Traffic Copper



Joined: 15 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:07 - 03 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pernig wrote:
Pickledswede wrote:
Don't wanna fork out for topbox/panniers..


I find rucksack is fine for short journeys. I'm assuming you're not going a really long way with all your gym stuff etc. It's only on longer journeys when having the bag does my head in and starts to hurt my back/shoulders if I'm carrying a lot in it.

For long journeys soft luggage (eg tailpack and tankbag) is normally a pretty good compromise if you don't wanna fork out loads.


Only problem with using my bag is that it's packed with college stuff, its a stupid design that has two really thin pockets rather than one fat one which would fit more in- may be able to get a different backpack which works better.

Tankbag/tailpack seems a good idea, but just realised how much they cost Shocked and they really look like you're going on holiday Very Happy

hellkat wrote:
I used to sling it round my shoulder and waist, like a bandolier, if I didn't have a top box.

Woulda been a bit painful if I'da fell off and landed on it, but as a last minute emergency way of carting it about, it was alright.


Seems like a good plan in a hurry but perhaps not ideal for every day? Especially with the weight of a chain Laughing

Seems like chains and locks are going to be the least of my worries as they're relatively small when compared with my stuff for the gym, and all my gear!




Quote:
the rest of my kit goes into my topbox/panniers, I used to have a tankbag and rucksack combo on my previous bike, the other option is something like the ventura luggage tailpack that slips onto a grabrail type frame, the tailpacks are pretty huge but would probably cost a few quid


Given the cost of a tailpack, compared to a topbox (not a great deal of difference), I guess I could get a topbox, which is a more secure option and would probably serve me well when I get the chance to go touring, then I could put my gym stuff in it on the way into college and store boots/trousers while at college to preserve space in my locker!

Just have to stick getting laughed at, but it can't be much worse riding into college with a topbox than it can be with muffs on my ped...can it? Neutral
Laughing

Cheers for the advice guys!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top



Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:04 - 03 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a big Almax chain that I just sling over my shoulder. I only commute a few miles though and if I crash I'm sure I'll crack a rib/collar bone.

Top box would be the best idea. Just buy a seat base for whatever bike you have off ebay then any old top-box. Then drill a couple of bolts through the seat and secure the top box on.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tango675
Crazy Courier



Joined: 24 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:17 - 03 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

After trying a tank bag for a bit I bought a top box. They are not cool, but they are good at carrying stuff locking stuff in and keeping it dry.

It also gives the pilion something to lean against for the "hold on tight" (/) signs...

The Givi one I have is detachable so you can carry it indoors or remove it for a blast.

Another option is a tail pack. Motrax do one for about £12 that is for a chain.
https://www.motrax.co.uk/index.php?page_name=product&product_id=891

hope this helps
____________________
Somebody give that windup merchant a torque wrench..
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

alun111
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:43 - 03 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goat-Boy wrote:
After trying a tank bag for a bit I bought a top box. They are not cool, but they are good at carrying stuff locking stuff in and keeping it dry.

It also gives the pilion something to lean against for the "hold on tight" (/) signs...

The Givi one I have is detachable so you can carry it indoors or remove it for a blast.

Another option is a tail pack. Motrax do one for about £12 that is for a chain.
https://www.motrax.co.uk/index.php?page_name=product&product_id=891

hope this helps


That's the exact kind of thing I was going to suggest!
____________________
Summer: '00 Honda CB600F Hornet
Winter: '93 Suzuki GSF 400 Bandit VP Variable Valve
Past Bikes: Lifan LF100-5 Lifan LF125-A Honda C70
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

cicatrez
Crazy Courier



Joined: 02 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:26 - 03 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh cool, nice find goat-boy. For me there's nowhere to put a chain. under the seat i can fit a disc lock, or buy a D-lock and fit that under the seat.. (would that do?). but there's nowhere on the bike I could wrap a chain around safely. Friend of mine has a yam SR125 with chrome handle/topbox bar that he coils his chain on.
____________________
-----------------------
'02 Honda City Fly
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

tafflade
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 27 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:31 - 03 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pernig wrote:
tafflade wrote:
I have a 2m Almax chain wrapped around a metal post in work, the downside of this chain is the fact that it weighs about 3 stone Shocked


I'd be worried about doing that as someone could quite easily come and weaken the chain when you're not at work, and finish the job quickly and quietly the next time you park up.


cheers.

at work we have a secure bike shed that has swipecard access and one of the cctv camera's permanaently on it as well. Thumbs Up

god bless rolls royce Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

loply
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:44 - 03 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my Mille, a 1.5m almax chain fits in the seat hump Shocked

Prior to that I carried it in a Kriega US10 chain/lock bag strapped to the pillion seat.
____________________
Yamaha SZR660 Caution to the wind, the throttle pinned!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pickledswede
Traffic Copper



Joined: 15 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:05 - 04 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goat-Boy wrote:


Another option is a tail pack. Motrax do one for about £12 that is for a chain.
https://www.motrax.co.uk/index.php?page_name=product&product_id=891

hope this helps


Seems perfect for a chain! Cheap too, but no good for gym stuff, topbox you have sounds good though, might have a look for that
Thumbs Up

cicatrez wrote:
or buy a D-lock and fit that under the seat.. (would that do?).


I have an abus granit chain, a disc lock + a lock for the chain, so I guess it wouldnt all fit under the seat Laughing

tafflade wrote:
cheers.

at work we have a secure bike shed that has swipecard access and one of the cctv camera's permanaently on it as well. Thumbs Up

god bless rolls royce Cool


Shotgun working for rolls royce Shocked
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 281 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.79 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 92.43 Kb