|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Pickledswede |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pickledswede Traffic Copper
Joined: 15 Jul 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 01:34 - 03 Jan 2009 Post subject: Chains and Locks |
 |
|
Ok I did a search and couldn't find anything, just wondering, how do you go about carrying your security stuff about.
I'm on the ped at the mo so have loads of room to bung my chain, lock, waterproof trousers and gym kit in on the way to college, but just thinking, when I get a real bike I'm gonna have nowhere to put all this stuff, and my bag is already full of books etc.
What do you do with your stuff (chains, locks, helmets, boots etc.) when you get to work/college/ whatever? And how do you carry it there in the first place?
Would you suggest a topbox or panniers or something? |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pernig |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pernig World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Jul 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pickledswede |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pickledswede Traffic Copper
Joined: 15 Jul 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 02:12 - 03 Jan 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thought the disc lock may fit under the seat, wrapping the chain around the grab rail seems a good plan
Guess I'll just have to fit my gym stuff in my bag somehow, if I don't wanna fork out for topbox/panniers.. then stuff it in my locker with helmet, boots, trousers, jacket...  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pernig |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pernig World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Jul 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| tafflade |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 tafflade Nitrous Nuisance
Joined: 27 Apr 2007 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pernig |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pernig World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Jul 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| hellkat |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 hellkat Super Spammer

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 14:28 - 03 Jan 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
I used to sling it round my shoulder and waist, like a bandolier, if I didn't have a top box.
Woulda been a bit painful if I'da fell off and landed on it, but as a last minute emergency way of carting it about, it was alright.
Dunno what plod woulda thunk, but it worked for me at the time
 ____________________ Not nearly as interesting in real life. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pickledswede |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pickledswede Traffic Copper
Joined: 15 Jul 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 17:07 - 03 Jan 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Pernig wrote: | | Pickledswede wrote: | Don't wanna fork out for topbox/panniers.. |
I find rucksack is fine for short journeys. I'm assuming you're not going a really long way with all your gym stuff etc. It's only on longer journeys when having the bag does my head in and starts to hurt my back/shoulders if I'm carrying a lot in it.
For long journeys soft luggage (eg tailpack and tankbag) is normally a pretty good compromise if you don't wanna fork out loads. |
Only problem with using my bag is that it's packed with college stuff, its a stupid design that has two really thin pockets rather than one fat one which would fit more in- may be able to get a different backpack which works better.
Tankbag/tailpack seems a good idea, but just realised how much they cost and they really look like you're going on holiday
| hellkat wrote: | I used to sling it round my shoulder and waist, like a bandolier, if I didn't have a top box.
Woulda been a bit painful if I'da fell off and landed on it, but as a last minute emergency way of carting it about, it was alright. |
Seems like a good plan in a hurry but perhaps not ideal for every day? Especially with the weight of a chain
Seems like chains and locks are going to be the least of my worries as they're relatively small when compared with my stuff for the gym, and all my gear!
| Quote: | the rest of my kit goes into my topbox/panniers, I used to have a tankbag and rucksack combo on my previous bike, the other option is something like the ventura luggage tailpack that slips onto a grabrail type frame, the tailpacks are pretty huge but would probably cost a few quid
|
Given the cost of a tailpack, compared to a topbox (not a great deal of difference), I guess I could get a topbox, which is a more secure option and would probably serve me well when I get the chance to go touring, then I could put my gym stuff in it on the way into college and store boots/trousers while at college to preserve space in my locker!
Just have to stick getting laughed at, but it can't be much worse riding into college with a topbox than it can be with muffs on my ped...can it?
Cheers for the advice guys! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Irezumi aka Reuben |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Irezumi aka Reuben Carrot Top
Joined: 28 Sep 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tango675 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tango675 Crazy Courier

Joined: 24 Jul 2007 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 19:17 - 03 Jan 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
After trying a tank bag for a bit I bought a top box. They are not cool, but they are good at carrying stuff locking stuff in and keeping it dry.
It also gives the pilion something to lean against for the "hold on tight" (/) signs...
The Givi one I have is detachable so you can carry it indoors or remove it for a blast.
Another option is a tail pack. Motrax do one for about £12 that is for a chain.
https://www.motrax.co.uk/index.php?page_name=product&product_id=891
hope this helps ____________________ Somebody give that windup merchant a torque wrench.. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| alun111 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 alun111 World Chat Champion

Joined: 31 May 2007 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 19:43 - 03 Jan 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Goat-Boy wrote: | After trying a tank bag for a bit I bought a top box. They are not cool, but they are good at carrying stuff locking stuff in and keeping it dry.
It also gives the pilion something to lean against for the "hold on tight" (/) signs...
The Givi one I have is detachable so you can carry it indoors or remove it for a blast.
Another option is a tail pack. Motrax do one for about £12 that is for a chain.
https://www.motrax.co.uk/index.php?page_name=product&product_id=891
hope this helps |
That's the exact kind of thing I was going to suggest! ____________________ Summer: '00 Honda CB600F Hornet
Winter: '93 Suzuki GSF 400 Bandit VP Variable Valve
Past Bikes: Lifan LF100-5 Lifan LF125-A Honda C70 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| cicatrez |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 cicatrez Crazy Courier

Joined: 02 Nov 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| tafflade |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 tafflade Nitrous Nuisance
Joined: 27 Apr 2007 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 23:31 - 03 Jan 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| loply |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 loply World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Mar 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 23:44 - 03 Jan 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
On my Mille, a 1.5m almax chain fits in the seat hump
Prior to that I carried it in a Kriega US10 chain/lock bag strapped to the pillion seat. ____________________ Yamaha SZR660 Caution to the wind, the throttle pinned! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pickledswede |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pickledswede Traffic Copper
Joined: 15 Jul 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 17 years, 281 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|