Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Grooming Question

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Renton
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:36 - 24 Feb 2009    Post subject: Grooming Question Reply with quote

OK so this is mainly aimed at the guys here, but ladies, if you have any info you'd like to share, please feel free.

Does anyone else suffer from in growing hairs after they shave?

I try to avoid have a full wet shave as much as possible because when it grows back I get loads of in growing hairs on my neck....and they are fucking irritating. I find it very un pleasant because when they grow inwards and get infected they end up as a spot.

I've heard all the usual "exfoliate", "use a special razor", "wash your face before", tips that are supposed to work. Well my brother does all of them!! I honestly wouldn't want to know how much it all costs, because it still doesn't work.

So does anyone have a 'routine' that seems to prevent them?

I'm currently using tweezers to remove the offending hairs, but that's no massage.
____________________
This is my motorcycle. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
Without me, my motorcycle is useless. Without my motorcycle, I am useless.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:45 - 24 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dry shave with a leccy razor? , they don't give a very close shave and thus avoid in grown hairs....

You could always get a shave like they do in Iran ie thread it out.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Renton
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:53 - 24 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

My preferred method is my beard trimmer, when I can be bothered, and take it down very short and it's quite a decent one so it's not a half arsed attempt. But I find even with that they still occur, just not as much.
____________________
This is my motorcycle. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
Without me, my motorcycle is useless. Without my motorcycle, I am useless.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ncrn
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:02 - 24 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is to have a very hot shower before hand, make sure it is a fairly long shower as well so all of your pores loosen up, really clean your face as well. Then as I get out start filling the sink with very hot water, and put some decent quality shaving foam on and massage it in well.

Then make sure the razor is cleaned well in the water and heated a bit and carefully shave, don't put a lot of pressure on just try to glide over the face.

When its all gone clean your face with hot water, then straight after splash all over with cold water. Its a bit of a shock but it helps, I then use some aftershave balm and job done.

Are you shaving with or against the grain of your hairs? You can tell by running your hand over your face and feeling for the rougher direction of travel.
____________________
Past: 55 Sym Jet, 91 ZZR250, 03 NSR125R. Present: 97 ER-5.
https://www.nsr125.co.uk - NSR Owners forum.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaun
Likes 'em bent



Joined: 17 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:09 - 24 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused

I get in the shower, get out, shave, whack on some after shave, done. Never had a problem with ingrowing hairs or shaving rash.

I'm a man.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Renton
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:13 - 24 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to have odd cleaning habbits, a routine of the way I do things (I won't elabirate), but in short I shave first, then have a shower.

I've always wanted one of those old shaving brushes (not sure of the name of them). They look like a make up brush but it's oviously for massaging in the shaving foam/cream/gel.

https://img.alibaba.com/photo/11249110/Shaving_Brush.jpg

And maybe a cut throat to go along with it Smile

Whenever I do have a proper wet shave I do use Nivea (for men Very Happy ) after shave balm for sensitive skin....crap. My sister bought me sum years ago and have always used it.

I'm not sure which way you'd call which, but I shave up the neck, and down the cheeks. If that makes sense.
____________________
This is my motorcycle. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
Without me, my motorcycle is useless. Without my motorcycle, I am useless.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Renton
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:15 - 24 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaun wrote:
Confused

I get in the shower, get out, shave, whack on some after shave, done. Never had a problem with ingrowing hairs or shaving rash.

I'm a man.


I've seen pictures of you, don't flounce around here with your brass ones on lol.
____________________
This is my motorcycle. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
Without me, my motorcycle is useless. Without my motorcycle, I am useless.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:37 - 24 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chalky wrote:
I tend to have odd cleaning habbits, a routine of the way I do things (I won't elabirate), but in short I shave first, then have a shower.


That's likely a major contributor. As others pointed out up the thread, heating the face either with steam, a hot towel or simply hot water in the shower makes the pores open and the stiff short hairs softer, meaning they'll cut rather than get driven back into the skin as the razor is drawn across.

As to using a cut throat, if you're prepared to spend the time then it does give a good shave.

My favoured razor is currently the "Fusion" thingy, much as it irks me to lend credence to the advertising it's the best I've found yet. Usually used with Gillettes "sensitive" gel as my skin reacts to alcohol badly. If I try using aftershave or suchlike then I spend the following week looking like I've been slapped in the face with a very hot pizza.
____________________
I'm immortal. Well, so far.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Azonicben
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 22 Aug 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:44 - 24 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally grow a half arsed beard then get a proper cut throat shave at the barbers with my hair cut
____________________
Cbt-23/09/07.....Theory-16/09/08.....Das passed 10/10/08.....
Current bike- GsxR750 K4. Broken: Cbr400rr (Nc29) Sold: Hyosung GT125R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Renton
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:50 - 24 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a wet shave earlier and I did try to wash my face with hot water before hand (I always try to do it when wet shaving). Maybe I just need to keep the hot water on there longer. I guess it doesn't help that my facial hair is almost as thick as me.

I think if you can shave well with a decent cut throat then you've got an art.

I don't bother with all those 17 blade high mark up gizmos. Simply because I watched a programe few years back about shaving and "Britains Best Barber" said that you honestly don't need that many blades, any more than two is a waste.
____________________
This is my motorcycle. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
Without me, my motorcycle is useless. Without my motorcycle, I am useless.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:43 - 24 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having the same problem with the occasional ingrowing hair.

I tried the Fusion razor and it is very good (as long as you switch the vibrating head on).

As said, shower before you shave to heat up your skin.

Mark
____________________
Current bikes: Honda ST1100 Pan European. Moto Guzzi V85 TT Travel
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mooserx
Nearly there...



Joined: 14 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:55 - 24 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

the best way i found to avoid ingrowing hair is thus.

exfoliate first,
trim to stubble
soak face with hot flannel
rub some vaseline onto the beard to really open pores and soften hair
apply proper shaving soap with a brush, none of this gel crap
shave with the grain of your beard in long strokes
rinse razor after each stroke
rinse face well
cold flannel on your face to close pores
apply good moisturiser, i use clinique but nivea etc is fine

as for type of razor its personal preference but i prefer fewer blades so use a double bladed razor, usually one of the cheap bic/gillette ones, i don't like these fancy cack handed affairs with 200 blades and electronic pulses, they look like footballers use em.
also the barber will only use 1 blade when he uses a cut-throat.

i suppose the secret is to open your pores and soften your whiskers as much as possible.

or just grow a beard.
____________________
TL1000r-handful.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mooserx
Nearly there...



Joined: 14 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:58 - 24 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've always wanted one of those old shaving brushes (not sure of the name of them). They look like a make up brush but it's oviously for massaging in the shaving foam/cream/gel.


you can get em from superdrug cheap as chips, they are the best thing for applying shave soap as they massage your face and open your pores.
____________________
TL1000r-handful.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:35 - 24 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shower route is the best option. I actually shave while in the shower, plenty steam and hot water on the go all the time.
____________________
the undemocratically unelected mod of the Scottish section
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:35 - 24 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

mooserx wrote:

exfoliate first,
trim to stubble
soak face with hot flannel
rub some vaseline onto the beard to really open pores and soften hair
apply proper shaving soap with a brush, none of this gel crap
shave with the grain of your beard in long strokes
rinse razor after each stroke
rinse face well
cold flannel on your face to close pores
apply good moisturiser, i use clinique but nivea etc is fine


Now with 30% less gay.
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nicky-Jano
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 20 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:45 - 24 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try hair conditioner, I did and after a few weeks I noticed a big difference.
Skin felt softer and less irritated.
It just forms a more lubricated barrier between the skin and razor than normal shaving foam does.
So it stops the razor irritating the pores and slides over the skin easier.
Also use warm water it opens up the pores more so hair doesn't get trapped inside.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:26 - 24 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarmacsurfer wrote:


My favoured razor is currently the "Fusion" thingy, much as it irks me to lend credence to the advertising it's the best I've found yet. Usually used with Gillettes "sensitive" gel as my skin reacts to alcohol badly. If I try using aftershave or suchlike then I spend the following week looking like I've been slapped in the face with a very hot pizza.

I found the Fusion to be absolute cack and gave an uncomfortable shave. The best wet shave razor I have used so far is a Mach 3. I did buy a Wilkinson Sword for cheapness of replacement blades but there blades aren't very well designed and hairs get stuck inbetween them.
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tonka
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:39 - 24 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helpful Linky?

I watched that 10 Years Younger programme the other week and it had a fella on there. They took him off to the Barber for a proper shave and the strict no-nos were tweezing and shaving against the hair growth Rolling Eyes
____________________
'The core of a man's spirit comes from new experiences'
Suzuki SV650S (Clean); Yamaha XT250 Serow (Dirty)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kwaks
I'm not a fast rider



Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:20 - 24 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was gonna say, always shave in the direction of growth, I have lost count of the times I have seen people shave under the chin against the growth Rolling Eyes

And, yes use hot water to wet face before lathering, but it is essential that you use cold water to rinse off the razor during, hot will blunt it.
____________________
Fallen Angel "Nae sniffing my seat now!!!!! "
www.cliqueycuntsmcc.co.uk
I AM NOT A FAST RIDER!!!!!!!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:32 - 24 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which way is with the hair growth? I shave downwards from my chin, is that right?
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:24 - 24 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple answer.. Laughing


Don't shave. Rolling Eyes



Grow a beard Thumbs Up
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:18 - 24 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
Simple answer.. Laughing


Don't shave. Rolling Eyes



Grow a beard Thumbs Up


Agreed. Stop being such a pussy-whipped metrosexual and grow a beard like nature intended.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

steppen22
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:02 - 25 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shave in the shower - saves time cleaning up too, straight down the drain hole. No mirrors, obviously, but I know my own face well enough to do the job.

I also take my electric toothbrush in the shower - brush teeth whilst rinsing hair.

Occassionally I bang one off in the shower too. Again, straight down the drainhole, wash while you wank.

It's all about saving time. No one - man or woman - should spend more than 30 minutes a day doing all this shit. After 30 minutes in the bathroom, a woman's attractiveness increases minute byminute, but a man's decreases.

This is despite of all your daft "manly" products with their daft "manly" brandnames. The health and beauty industry is trying to colonise the male body - given masculine names, and a masculine tone to tradiotnal female products there's no further area of the female body to exploit (where to go after scented pussy sprays? It's all been done now).
____________________
no regrets, no retreat, no apology.
I've made mistakes in the past, and I apologise for FUCK ALL.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Renton
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:52 - 25 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi an stinkwheel.....you hippies lol. I have a 0.5 hair cut, I'm not about to grow a beard to look like Captain Spalding.

Tonka, thanks for that. The narrators accent was very annoying, but the information was helpful none the less.

As I shaved the other night, my neck is now covered in the mutant hairs. I'm not so fussed about the pain of them, this I can deal with, but I'm a bit of a clean freak and I hate that it looks like I'm covered in dirty spots....when they are not just spots.

mooserx, ta, shall try an get down there to see what is available.


Would reply to the rest who have posted but I've got to go out.

Thanks for all the info and tips guys (and gal) Thumbs Up .
____________________
This is my motorcycle. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
Without me, my motorcycle is useless. Without my motorcycle, I am useless.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

superstacker
Traffic Copper



Joined: 20 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:16 - 25 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely i wasnt the only person who thought this was a thread about entraping underage girls on the internet??!




















I'll get my coat Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 226 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.89 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 133.99 Kb