|
|
| Author |
Message |
| AngelGrinder |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 AngelGrinder World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Jun 2007 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 18:46 - 27 Feb 2009 Post subject: F**ked over by employer...where do I stand? |
 |
|
I'll run through the basics of my job, then explain what has happened, if anyone has any knowledge of where I stand, and what I can do, that would be appreciated.
My job - I drive a van round (mostly London) delivering and setting up Audio/Visual equipment. I work lots of overtime, usually do a 40hour basic with about 30 hours overtime per week. My basic is £17,000 but obviously my overtime brings that up a fair bit.
Due to driving/parking/eating in London, it's expensive for me to do these things, I can claim back parking and I have a diesel card, but I have to pay for my own food. Basically...it costs me alot personally to do the job.
Now, cut to today, Friday 27th Feb, we are supposed to get paid.
We don't. I'm owed nearly £2000 wages, I receive nothing. At about 10am the administrators come in.
We are told very little, except to carry on working. They tell us we will get paid from today for each days work that we do for the administrators.
The company is in dire shape, the chances of them being bought are unlikely.
My problem is, they still want me to go back and carry on working as normal on Monday. Right now, I can't even afford the petrol to drive there. Let alone pay for parking, food in London. Also, they have not mentioned if they will pay overtime.
Basically, I want my wages from last month back, if I get them, I will carry on working, if they do me a new contract, stating my pay guidelines.
I'm only just 22, and have been working there 2 1/2 years, so I think I'm only entitled to £350 redundancy.
Anyone recommend what I should do? If I get my last wages, shall I take redundancy? I'm just not sure what I should be doing?
Any advice is greatly appreciated
P.s Just to make a bad day worse, when I got the phone call to tell me the company was in administration I was driving, and the police pulled me over and gave me the £60 and 3 points, can I ask for extra time to pay the £60 fine?
Ta  ____________________ Currently Riding - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000 Mille |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dragonfly |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dragonfly Super Spammer

Joined: 05 Sep 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| powelly |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 powelly World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 May 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 19:49 - 27 Feb 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
The employees salaries / holiday are right at the top of the creditors list and so will be paid first, assuming the liquidators find some money available (this may be through the sale of company assets).
I take it the van is worth more than the wages you are owed? might be worth parking it somewhere out of site when you go in and ask for the money they owe you.
 ____________________ Yamaha RXS 100 > Gilera Runner 50 > Suzuki SV650SY |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Phoenix |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Phoenix Twisted Firestarter

Joined: 01 Aug 2002 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| AngelGrinder |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 AngelGrinder World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Jun 2007 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| iooi |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 iooi Super Spammer

Joined: 14 Jan 2007 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| panrider_uk |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 panrider_uk World Chat Champion

Joined: 23 Sep 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| yambabe |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 yambabe World Chat Champion

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 23:02 - 27 Feb 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| AngelGrinder |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 AngelGrinder World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Jun 2007 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| iooi |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 iooi Super Spammer

Joined: 14 Jan 2007 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Itchy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Itchy Super Spammer

Joined: 07 Apr 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| AngelGrinder |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 AngelGrinder World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Jun 2007 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dom_ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dom_ Points Mean Prizes

Joined: 02 Aug 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| AngelGrinder |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 AngelGrinder World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Jun 2007 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| D O G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 D O G World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TheMundy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TheMundy Borekit Bruiser

Joined: 09 Jan 2009 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| AngelGrinder |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 AngelGrinder World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Jun 2007 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pedd |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pedd World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Mar 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Itchy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Itchy Super Spammer

Joined: 07 Apr 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 15:39 - 02 Mar 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Erm with a company van you can use it to commute with back and forth to home and it is not considered as a taxable benefit even if you stop for incidental uses ie a news paper or lunch.
But whats not ok is using it on weekends to go shopping HMRC often go and get super market CCTV and compare van number plates with that on the company vans registers. ____________________ Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| AngelGrinder |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 AngelGrinder World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Jun 2007 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 22:00 - 02 Mar 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
UPDATE:
Spent all of today simply waiting to hear from administrators. We weren't allowed to go and see them, they were too busy.
At 4.30 they finally call a meeting.
They tell us we have to keep working, but as they currently have no money to pay us what we are working, they don't know when they can pay us - they have to keep working to get enough money.
They tell us the company is £800,000 in debt.
The money from last months wages is gone, we have no chance of ever getting it back, we have to claim it back from the government.
So, they owe me close to £3,000 (2x months overtime and 1 months wages) they can't tell us when we'll get paid...and they won't us to carry on as normal? They want me to do a 17/18 hour day tomorrow? They wouldn't do us any sort of contract until Wednesday?
I got so fed up...I handed all my keys and pass in. I'm officially jobless.
Seriously don't understand how this is legal in this day and age?
Oh and to top it off, I went to Citizens Advice this morning - HUGE waste of time. The bloke basically printed off the link already posted here and then to really wind me up, told me I wasn't entitled to Legal help because of how much I earn.
What aload of sh!t, because I've paid more taxes I'm not entitled to any help?
Anyway, what a goddawful day.
I have no money, but will be applying for every job under the sun tomorrow.
Also, I have to claim back last months wages from the Nation Insurance, anyone have any idea how long this will take?
| vw-man wrote: | | AngelGrinder wrote: | . They also want me to spend £10 a day commuting to work in my car/bike. |
Damn and to think for the last 18 years I have been using my own cash to get into work and back home, jeeez didnt realise that the company I worked for should pay me to get there aswell.
|
Yea....I'm assuming they actually paid you though? I normally have no problem with the commute....but when I can't even afford the bills it's a bit different! ____________________ Currently Riding - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000 Mille |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Itchy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Itchy Super Spammer

Joined: 07 Apr 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 14:25 - 03 Mar 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Its a joint stock company ie the liability is in the shares only, its actually quite common for this to happen , if the legal entity is dissolved it no longer exists to be claimed debt against.
There is a small arguement of wrongful / fraudulent trading which might be persued. Which is ineffect trading in full knowledge that they could not pay their obligations. Not that this will do you any good of course.
Anyway if you live in London and can drive a car why not apply to be a Scooterman? (Manchester branch doesn't seem to be hiring its why I've not done it). ____________________ Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| AngelGrinder |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 AngelGrinder World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Jun 2007 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 15:03 - 03 Mar 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
| G wrote: | | AngelGrinder wrote: |
Seriously don't understand how this is legal in this day and age?
|
You don't understand how it's legal for a company to go bust .
|
I can understand that.
What I don't understand is how its legal for them to not pay us 1 months wage, and 2 months overtime.
THEN, they ask us to carry on working, until they earn enough money to actually pay us what we have started earning working for the administrators (from Friday 27th Feb)
We can't walk out and get another job, or apply for jobseekers allowance, becuase we effectively quit from the job.
Basically, we are stuck working there until they finally make us redundant....this could be 3....4 weeks or even more.
In the meantime, we've still got no money, and are borrowing everything to pay direct debits.
They've got us bent over and lubed up...
And yeah, I'm effectively spending nothing per day at the moment, my only outgoings are direct debits and loan payments.
If you're fired are you allowed to go for JSA?
P.s After causing them so many problems by not coming in today, they have FINALLY bothered to talk to me. The MD rang me up earlier, explained what I need answering etc.
I will be going back tomorrow morning. I'm just praying they shut the place soon. Or pay us even sooner....
Oh and Itchy....cheers for the suggestion, I've just looked and they want a 'clean' driving license. With the 3 points I got for the other day, I now have 6. I might apply anyway and see what they say. ____________________ Currently Riding - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000 Mille |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Andy C |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Andy C Tree Seeking Missile

Joined: 26 Apr 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 17 years, 219 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|