Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


F**ked over by employer...where do I stand?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

AngelGrinder
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:46 - 27 Feb 2009    Post subject: F**ked over by employer...where do I stand? Reply with quote

I'll run through the basics of my job, then explain what has happened, if anyone has any knowledge of where I stand, and what I can do, that would be appreciated.

My job - I drive a van round (mostly London) delivering and setting up Audio/Visual equipment. I work lots of overtime, usually do a 40hour basic with about 30 hours overtime per week. My basic is £17,000 but obviously my overtime brings that up a fair bit.

Due to driving/parking/eating in London, it's expensive for me to do these things, I can claim back parking and I have a diesel card, but I have to pay for my own food. Basically...it costs me alot personally to do the job.

Now, cut to today, Friday 27th Feb, we are supposed to get paid.

We don't. I'm owed nearly £2000 wages, I receive nothing. At about 10am the administrators come in.

We are told very little, except to carry on working. They tell us we will get paid from today for each days work that we do for the administrators.

The company is in dire shape, the chances of them being bought are unlikely.

My problem is, they still want me to go back and carry on working as normal on Monday. Right now, I can't even afford the petrol to drive there. Let alone pay for parking, food in London. Also, they have not mentioned if they will pay overtime.

Basically, I want my wages from last month back, if I get them, I will carry on working, if they do me a new contract, stating my pay guidelines.

I'm only just 22, and have been working there 2 1/2 years, so I think I'm only entitled to £350 redundancy.



Anyone recommend what I should do? If I get my last wages, shall I take redundancy? I'm just not sure what I should be doing?


Any advice is greatly appreciated Thumbs Up Karma



P.s Just to make a bad day worse, when I got the phone call to tell me the company was in administration I was driving, and the police pulled me over and gave me the £60 and 3 points, can I ask for extra time to pay the £60 fine?

Ta Thumbs Up
____________________
Currently Riding - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000 Mille
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:43 - 27 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats shite luck there. I wouldnt work another day for them if they owe you that much money as it dosnt look like you are going to get paid at all if they are in administration. Unless someone is to buy them and their debt over, least thats how it worked when one of the companies I worked for went bust years ago. I never got paid though. Not sure about asking for time on the fine, I know with court fines you can pay in installments.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

powelly
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:49 - 27 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The employees salaries / holiday are right at the top of the creditors list and so will be paid first, assuming the liquidators find some money available (this may be through the sale of company assets).

I take it the van is worth more than the wages you are owed? might be worth parking it somewhere out of site when you go in and ask for the money they owe you.

Wink
____________________
Yamaha RXS 100 > Gilera Runner 50 > Suzuki SV650SY
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter



Joined: 01 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:00 - 27 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't want to continue working when I've not been paid a months wages already. I don't know where you stand though so Citizens advice as usual is probably your best bet.

The company I worked for went into administration, it was that way for over a month but during that time we were still getting paid by the companies icelandic parent presumably so no questions were asked, it was then bought and carried on as usual. If the company is not bought then I cannot see how administrators can pay you for the time you've worked during administration. Sale of assets is good, but quite frequently a company has little assets if the premises are rented, the vehicles are leased and so on.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AngelGrinder
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:00 - 27 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The van has had it's tracker unplugeed, and it's parked somewhere where the company can't get to it, and I took the spare keys for it from the office.

I made sure the tank was full also. And I have a nice TV in the back.

I've heard if I go to far holding this to 'ransom' the company can get the police involved. I don't really want any trouble, I just want to be able to afford to pay the bills and to eat....right now I can't do either.

No wonder this country is going to sh1t if companies can get away with this, it's an absolute outrage, I have banks chasing me for charges already.

I've got everyone I know asking if they know of any available jobs. Doing anything, aslong as it gives me some sort of cash flow!
____________________
Currently Riding - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000 Mille
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:10 - 27 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

AngelGrinder wrote:
I've heard if I go to far holding this to 'ransom' the company can get the police involved. I don't really want any trouble, I just want to be able to afford to pay the bills and to eat....right now I can't do either.
!


Well it will belong to the adminsitrators, as its part of the companies assests. Unless it a contract hire, in which case the hire company will want it back, to cover their costs.

Have a word with the administrators about your situation. They are there to try and sell the company as a going concern.
They really are the only people who can advise you about getting paid for further work, that will be planned for the next week or so.
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:47 - 27 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would now be working for your company "in administration" and being paid by the administrators (not liquidators at this point).

Being in administration means that the company can shrug off most off its debts and the administrators can trade it without the debt burden and hopefully, therefore, trade as a going concern.

As said, the wages are high onn the payment list so I'd continue working and probably looks elsewhere at the same time.

Administration can last months if the business is complex enough (my company was in administration for 11 months before being sold).

Mark
____________________
Current bikes: Honda ST1100 Pan European. Moto Guzzi V85 TT Travel
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:02 - 27 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.insolvency.gov.uk/pdfs/guidanceleafletspdf/guideforemployees.pdf?pubpdfdload=04%2F1945
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AngelGrinder
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:36 - 28 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem I have with working is I can't afford to actually be doing it. Mondays not too bad, but Tuesday I'm expected to be in London from 6am until 10pm. I can't even afford to get much food at home, let alone pay £4 an hour parking in places, and buy breakfast/lunch/dinner at centre of London prices.

At the moment I'm planning on going into the place on Monday, I will say to the administrators that I am happy to con tinure working for them, on these 2 conditions -

1. My pay that is owed is paid back to me IN FULL

2. Every day that is worked I have a letter SIGNED stating I will b paid X amount on X date.


I can't afford to be shafted for money again. I'm going to sign on to as many agencies as possible and spam my CV everywhere today. The citizens advice isn't open until Monday, so I will go there first thing.
____________________
Currently Riding - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000 Mille
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:06 - 28 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

AngelGrinder wrote:
Problem I have with working is I can't afford to actually be doing it. Mondays not too bad, but Tuesday I'm expected to be in London from 6am until 10pm. I can't even afford to get much food at home, let alone pay £4 an hour parking in places, and buy breakfast/lunch/dinner at centre of London prices.


Why are you wasting money on eating out..... Have you not heard of making sandwiches and taking a packed up lunch. Or a flask with some soup or coffee in.

I used to take a flask of tea in when my old employer upped the price on the vending machine to 10p......
Saved a fortune on a daily basis.
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:33 - 28 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:


Why are you wasting money on eating out..... Have you not heard of making sandwiches and taking a packed up lunch. Or a flask with some soup or coffee in.

I used to take a flask of tea in when my old employer upped the price on the vending machine to 10p......
Saved a fortune on a daily basis.



Thats ok for an office or a fixed location but when you are driving around in a van all day its less good, but then again I was delivering to food shops who would let me use their microwave ovens.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AngelGrinder
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:34 - 28 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
AngelGrinder wrote:
Problem I have with working is I can't afford to actually be doing it. Mondays not too bad, but Tuesday I'm expected to be in London from 6am until 10pm. I can't even afford to get much food at home, let alone pay £4 an hour parking in places, and buy breakfast/lunch/dinner at centre of London prices.


Why are you wasting money on eating out..... Have you not heard of making sandwiches and taking a packed up lunch. Or a flask with some soup or coffee in.

I used to take a flask of tea in when my old employer upped the price on the vending machine to 10p......
Saved a fortune on a daily basis.


I could do it, and if I continue to do it, I will. But I regularly do silly hours, like 5/6am till late at night.

Theres only so many sandwiches and soup I can eat in a day!
____________________
Currently Riding - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000 Mille
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes



Joined: 02 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:49 - 28 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully sympathize with your situation mate but being that skint and then eating out 3 times a day is absurd.

It's perfectly easy to eat stuff you've made home if your not in an office, i'm always driving about with my job and I manage to do it ok along with other colleagues. You need to seriously change your lifestyle when something like this happens, buying value everything and prepping it all at home never going out etc. I had to do it when I was jobless for 3 months and still had hundreds going out in direct debits.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

AngelGrinder
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:23 - 28 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dom_ wrote:
I fully sympathize with your situation mate but being that skint and then eating out 3 times a day is absurd.

It's perfectly easy to eat stuff you've made home if your not in an office, i'm always driving about with my job and I manage to do it ok along with other colleagues. You need to seriously change your lifestyle when something like this happens, buying value everything and prepping it all at home never going out etc. I had to do it when I was jobless for 3 months and still had hundreds going out in direct debits.


I'm not going to do it, but this is the problem. They will want me to do these jobs, then they'll want me to park the van up somewhere while I set something up.

I'm fully prepared to take my own food. But as of right now, I am £290 overdrawn, with about £400 of bills coming out on Monday.

I'm trying to borrow the money to cover the essential Direct debits, but as it is. They also want me to spend £10 a day commuting to work in my car/bike.

I physically don't have the money there to do this for the next week.
____________________
Currently Riding - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000 Mille
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:00 - 28 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell the administrators on Monday that you are unable to pay for the parking for the work you need to do on Tuesday, due to the fact you have not been paid. They are not monsters, they will understand. They are the only people who can help you.

They will also appreciate that you doing the work on Tuesday is important, will bring in money and can only be considered to be a good thing.

The adminsitrators have the power - they have the power to give you some petty cash to pay for the parking prior to you going there. If I were the administrator I would do it, it makes commercial sense to do so.

Couple of things though - don't mention your lunch problems, they will not be receptive to this. You can make your own food, you don't need to spend 6squid at pret a manger for a brie and bacon buttie. Secondly, don't take the piss and spend any excess money they give you, and if possible keep any parking receipts to back up your expenses. If you do that then they will trust you, and hence help you more in the future.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TheMundy
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 09 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:33 - 02 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much is the audio visual equipment worth that you deliver.......
____________________
Telling it like it is since 1978.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

AngelGrinder
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:54 - 02 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheMundy wrote:
How much is the audio visual equipment worth that you deliver.......


Some of it is quite expensive....
____________________
Currently Riding - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000 Mille
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pedd
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Mar 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:25 - 02 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

AngelGrinder wrote:
. They also want me to spend £10 a day commuting to work in my car/bike.



Damn Rolling Eyes and to think for the last 18 years I have been using my own cash to get into work and back home, jeeez didnt realise that the company I worked for should pay me to get there aswell.

You stated you have a diesel card so fuel shoudnt be a problem. I definatly wouldnt start using my own cash for fuel tho, have anything that they promise you in writting and witnessed/signed.

I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago and lost alot on feild commision/sales, When I left I was asked to do a vehicle stock report :0 needless to say a lot of stuff didnt go back
____________________
Dont Click HERE
Current modes of transport = 125 superdream (in bits atm), 1978 GS750 chop, bandit 600(main one), 1982 bmw r100rs,
cx500 trike (hey its fun) oh and the car to ferry the missus and dogs around Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:39 - 02 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm with a company van you can use it to commute with back and forth to home and it is not considered as a taxable benefit even if you stop for incidental uses ie a news paper or lunch.

But whats not ok is using it on weekends to go shopping HMRC often go and get super market CCTV and compare van number plates with that on the company vans registers.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AngelGrinder
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:00 - 02 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:

Spent all of today simply waiting to hear from administrators. We weren't allowed to go and see them, they were too busy.

At 4.30 they finally call a meeting.

They tell us we have to keep working, but as they currently have no money to pay us what we are working, they don't know when they can pay us - they have to keep working to get enough money.

They tell us the company is £800,000 in debt.

The money from last months wages is gone, we have no chance of ever getting it back, we have to claim it back from the government.


So, they owe me close to £3,000 (2x months overtime and 1 months wages) they can't tell us when we'll get paid...and they won't us to carry on as normal? They want me to do a 17/18 hour day tomorrow? They wouldn't do us any sort of contract until Wednesday?

I got so fed up...I handed all my keys and pass in. I'm officially jobless.

Seriously don't understand how this is legal in this day and age?

Oh and to top it off, I went to Citizens Advice this morning - HUGE waste of time. The bloke basically printed off the link already posted here and then to really wind me up, told me I wasn't entitled to Legal help because of how much I earn.

What aload of sh!t, because I've paid more taxes I'm not entitled to any help?


Anyway, what a goddawful day.

I have no money, but will be applying for every job under the sun tomorrow.

Also, I have to claim back last months wages from the Nation Insurance, anyone have any idea how long this will take?



vw-man wrote:
AngelGrinder wrote:
. They also want me to spend £10 a day commuting to work in my car/bike.



Damn Rolling Eyes and to think for the last 18 years I have been using my own cash to get into work and back home, jeeez didnt realise that the company I worked for should pay me to get there aswell.



Yea....I'm assuming they actually paid you though? I normally have no problem with the commute....but when I can't even afford the bills it's a bit different!
____________________
Currently Riding - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000 Mille
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:19 - 03 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

AngelGrinder wrote:

Seriously don't understand how this is legal in this day and age?

You don't understand how it's legal for a company to go bust Confused.
It sucks, but it happens.
Maybe if there was a hell of a lot more regulations any company that started to look like it was getting into trouble could be wound down.
However that would leave a lot more people out of work and a lot of companies that might have survived with a contract in the pipeline coming through closed down.

As you're going to be short on money in the short term I'd definitely recommend looking into how you can cut down on spending - you might be surprised how cheaply daily living can be done Thumbs Up.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:25 - 03 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a joint stock company ie the liability is in the shares only, its actually quite common for this to happen , if the legal entity is dissolved it no longer exists to be claimed debt against.

There is a small arguement of wrongful / fraudulent trading which might be persued. Which is ineffect trading in full knowledge that they could not pay their obligations. Not that this will do you any good of course.

Anyway if you live in London and can drive a car why not apply to be a Scooterman? (Manchester branch doesn't seem to be hiring its why I've not done it).
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AngelGrinder
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:03 - 03 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
AngelGrinder wrote:

Seriously don't understand how this is legal in this day and age?

You don't understand how it's legal for a company to go bust Confused.


I can understand that.

What I don't understand is how its legal for them to not pay us 1 months wage, and 2 months overtime.

THEN, they ask us to carry on working, until they earn enough money to actually pay us what we have started earning working for the administrators (from Friday 27th Feb)

We can't walk out and get another job, or apply for jobseekers allowance, becuase we effectively quit from the job.

Basically, we are stuck working there until they finally make us redundant....this could be 3....4 weeks or even more.

In the meantime, we've still got no money, and are borrowing everything to pay direct debits.

They've got us bent over and lubed up...



And yeah, I'm effectively spending nothing per day at the moment, my only outgoings are direct debits and loan payments.

If you're fired are you allowed to go for JSA?


P.s After causing them so many problems by not coming in today, they have FINALLY bothered to talk to me. The MD rang me up earlier, explained what I need answering etc.

I will be going back tomorrow morning. I'm just praying they shut the place soon. Or pay us even sooner....



Oh and Itchy....cheers for the suggestion, I've just looked and they want a 'clean' driving license. With the 3 points I got for the other day, I now have 6. I might apply anyway and see what they say.
____________________
Currently Riding - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000 Mille
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile



Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:14 - 03 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

AngelGrinder wrote:
If your'e fired are you allowed to go for JSA?


I dont know the conditions or anything but the other day i watched a documentary about a family of which most use to work in woolworths and the middle son (or something) was manager and IIRC he mentioned that if he started to claim JSA he would forfit the money owed to him by Woolworths.

Though i dont know the exact details but hope for your sake its not true Thumbs Up
____________________
99 RS125 --> 02 SV650s --> 03 Speed Four --> 92 RXS100 --> 93 CB400sf --> 01 CB600f Hornet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:19 - 03 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

AngelGrinder wrote:
What I don't understand is how its legal for them to not pay us 1 months wage, and 2 months overtime.


You are one of the (probably many) people owed money. Seems as an employee you are fairly high up the list of people to be paid (although I suspect pay & overtime may be dealt with seperatly to expenses)

AngelGrinder wrote:
THEN, they ask us to carry on working, until they earn enough money to actually pay us what we have started earning working for the administrators (from Friday 27th Feb)


It is not the company that owes you money that is seeking for you to continue working, rather the administrators. They are the ones trying to salvage something including enough money to pay the companies debts (such as your wages).

AngelGrinder wrote:
We can't walk out and get another job, or apply for jobseekers allowance, becuase we effectively quit from the job.


It would also likely invalidate and loan repayment insurance you have.

It is a bad situation, but the fault is with those who originally ran the company, not with the administrators who are trying to deal with the mess.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 219 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.15 Sec - Server Load: 1.29 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 147.72 Kb