|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Visitor Q |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Visitor Q $25 whore

Joined: 30 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 22:27 - 07 May 2009 Post subject: Bike maintenance stuff you couldn't live without. |
 |
|
Well, just because I've been doing so much bike stuff (mainly involving removing fairings) recently I've been reminded just how much I love this thing.
https://makezine.com/images/tools/loctite.jpg
Its a loctite prittstick type thingy, and I took a punt on the £10 ish price having got arsed off with spending £3 on a tube that went everywhere and cured within a week.
Well I've had the same stick for a good few years now, and all you do is dab the bottom 10mm of the bolt at right angles to the stick and wedge them in. If you forget the cap overnight then the top layer goes crusty, but you can pick that off and its fine.
I've barely lost any bolts since getting it, and most of the ones I have I think I forgot to use it.
So A) Go out and buy one if you have a faired bike, you won't regret it. B) Anything else similar that you love long time? ____________________ China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| The Artist |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 The Artist Super Spammer

Joined: 06 Jan 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 22:42 - 07 May 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| McGee |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 McGee O RLY?

Joined: 24 Jun 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 22:47 - 07 May 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
I stole some wax from a job I had and I stole some of that plastic cleaner they use on new plastic parts for cars.
Had them for about 5 years and they still do an awesome job of cleaning up tired looking bikes and cars.
The plastic stuff is my fav, will take faded light gray plastic right back to black.
Also, can't live with out washing a bike, god damn people its not that hard  ____________________ ◙◙► K6 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 1000 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► 96 RF600r ◄◙◙
◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►
Its pronounced Jixxer! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Visitor Q |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Visitor Q $25 whore

Joined: 30 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| chris-red |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chris-red Have you considered a TDM?

Joined: 21 Sep 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| tatters |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 tatters Exxon Valdez

Joined: 05 Jan 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 22:55 - 07 May 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
https://bethmillner.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/ball-peen.jpg
https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41D2PPEA62L._SL500_AA280_.jpg
[img]https://www.wdcart.com/cremos/catalog2/images/P2150209.JPGLg16OzDeadBlowHammer.jpg[/img]
Cant live without a good "Finishing Tool"  ____________________ Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650,KZ750 Present:G650XC,C12,CRF450X,1190ADV |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Visitor Q |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Visitor Q $25 whore

Joined: 30 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Barry_M2 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Barry_M2 World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Sep 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 09:02 - 08 May 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Oh god, I have loads of little gadgets and bits like that...
Magnet on ariel (as above)
Loctite stick (as Bonny)
Copperslip/grease (goes on everything!!)
Cable ties
WD40
Big drum of brake cleaner
Hydraulic table/bike lift (best thing I ever brought!)
.. to name a few. ____________________ ZXR750R (M2) - For the road.
CBR1000 RR4 - For the track.
https://www.bikechatforums.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4332 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| 1016.5 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 1016.5 Renault 5 Driver
Joined: 28 Apr 2009 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| The Shaggy D.A. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 The Shaggy D.A. Super Spammer

Joined: 12 Sep 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 09:16 - 08 May 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Self amalgamating tape for wiring jobs. It bonds to itself, so after wrapping you end up with a watertight seal that doesn't degrade like normal electrical tape does.
Metrinch socket and spanner set, which grips on the flats rather than the points. Less chance of rounding stuff off, and more chance of moving rounded off stuff. Was great for the Enfield, which had a mix of imperial and metric sizes in use. ____________________ Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Mord |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mord Nearly there...
Joined: 11 Oct 2008 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 09:30 - 08 May 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
I cannot do without.. my 120 piece Halfrauds socket / spanner set + my big toolbox with all sorts of tools (additional sockets, clamping tools, hammers, drills, screws, screw drivers, saws) and many more.. I hate to start doing something only to realise that I need to buy something i.e. when I had my car jacked up on a driveway, wheels removed just to find out that my calipers needed 7mm allen socket tool, and my 120 piece box had only 8mm and 6mm sizes
I need all my tools.. every single one of them. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarJay |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarJay But it's British!

Joined: 15 Sep 2003 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dr. DaveJPS |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dr. DaveJPS World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 May 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 09:37 - 08 May 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
at the bare minimum a 14mm sparkplug spanner and my large socket spanner for the sump-plug ____________________ "intelligent inattention is preferable to unintelligent tinkering"
www.davejps.com |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| yen_powell |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 yen_powell World Chat Champion

Joined: 22 Jun 2008 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Handsome |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Handsome World Chat Champion

Joined: 30 Dec 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 10:01 - 08 May 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Haven't gotten any pictures of them but I couldn't do without ' Keith ' or ' Terry ', they are my bike bitches and they do all the shit I can't be arsed to do or can't do, due to lack of tools or space...
God love 'em, drop the bike round and whatever needs doing is done for when I get back or if I'm there on the bike I just mention so and so could do with doing, it dissapears in the garage and comes out done, all while I'm drinking tea...
Tidy...  ____________________ Previous Bikes...Honda NSR 125 RR...Kawasaki Zephyr 550...Suzuki SV 1000 S...Yamaha FZ8...Current Bike...Suzuki GSX-R 750... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Visitor Q |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Visitor Q $25 whore

Joined: 30 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| The Shaggy D.A. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 The Shaggy D.A. Super Spammer

Joined: 12 Sep 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 12:33 - 08 May 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Forgot another vital item, which since I quit it seems every job is more awkward without them :-
https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2293/2704897100_afa1d8c677.jpg ____________________ Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Robby |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Robby Dirty Old Man

Joined: 16 May 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Handsome |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Handsome World Chat Champion

Joined: 30 Dec 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Danzio |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Danzio Nova Slayer
Joined: 01 Oct 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:08 - 08 May 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
for general cleaning of the bike...i suppose my muc-off!
other than that simple allen keys torque driver, rubber mallet! spanner set's, wd-40, degreaser, wurths dry chain lube and a bottle of 2 stroke oil, just to smell
i also have my stereo on whilst working, with overalls, a box of rubbers (gloves) kettle, tea etc and ofcourse my cigarettes for when the stress mounts  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| kawakid |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 kawakid World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Mar 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Visitor Q |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Visitor Q $25 whore

Joined: 30 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 19:59 - 08 May 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Lol, methinks you're missing the point guys.
This isn't a list of every tool you own, or the fact they are helpful ( ).
Just things people may not know about that you rely on heavily, like the locktite or magnet on a stick etc.
Got to agree with Shaggy though, fags are very helpful. Gives you a second to contemplate your next course of (impatiently violent) action and decide against it. I'm also finding Classic FM to be a great help in keeping me sane.
Really should remember to preroll cigs before working on it though, dread to think the state of my lungs after a few oil/brake fluid cigs. ____________________ China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Wafer_Thin_Ham |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Wafer_Thin_Ham Super Spammer

Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 20:05 - 08 May 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Couldn't get buy without my Castrol LM grease. Gets used on everything from the bike to the car to the house.  ____________________ My Flickr |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rob |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rob World Chat Champion

Joined: 16 Mar 2002 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 20:11 - 08 May 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 17 years, 149 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|