Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Bike maintenance stuff you couldn't live without.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:27 - 07 May 2009    Post subject: Bike maintenance stuff you couldn't live without. Reply with quote

Well, just because I've been doing so much bike stuff (mainly involving removing fairings) recently I've been reminded just how much I love this thing.

https://makezine.com/images/tools/loctite.jpg

Its a loctite prittstick type thingy, and I took a punt on the £10 ish price having got arsed off with spending £3 on a tube that went everywhere and cured within a week.

Well I've had the same stick for a good few years now, and all you do is dab the bottom 10mm of the bolt at right angles to the stick and wedge them in. If you forget the cap overnight then the top layer goes crusty, but you can pick that off and its fine.

I've barely lost any bolts since getting it, and most of the ones I have I think I forgot to use it.

So A) Go out and buy one if you have a faired bike, you won't regret it. B) Anything else similar that you love long time?
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:42 - 07 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.mini2.com/galleries/data/2798/Tools_Needed.JPG
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

McGee
O RLY?



Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:47 - 07 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stole some wax from a job I had and I stole some of that plastic cleaner they use on new plastic parts for cars.

Had them for about 5 years and they still do an awesome job of cleaning up tired looking bikes and cars.

The plastic stuff is my fav, will take faded light gray plastic right back to black.

Also, can't live with out washing a bike, god damn people its not that hard Wink
____________________
◙◙► K6 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 1000 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► 96 RF600r ◄◙◙
◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►
Its pronounced Jixxer!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:52 - 07 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGee wrote:


Also, can't live with out washing a bike, god damn people its not that hard Wink


You hate mine then Wink

If I wash it it a) shows crash damage more and b) highlights that I never ever clean my plate.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:54 - 07 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any generic brake cleaner. Top quality stuff.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

tatters
Exxon Valdez



Joined: 05 Jan 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:55 - 07 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://bethmillner.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/ball-peen.jpg

https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41D2PPEA62L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

[img]https://www.wdcart.com/cremos/catalog2/images/P2150209.JPGLg16OzDeadBlowHammer.jpg[/img]



Cant live without a good "Finishing Tool" Wink
____________________
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650,KZ750 Present:G650XC,C12,CRF450X,1190ADV
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:25 - 08 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/4" drive socket set.

Deadblow hammer.

Magnet on car ariel.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:26 - 08 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Magnet on car ariel.


Now that I'll agree with.

Mine is something similar, but a molded plastic piece so theres no risk of losing the magnet. Stolen from Chemistry some 4 years ago, its done me proud ever since.

Brilliant whenever you drop screws/bolts, especially into the oil pan or when the engine is open Doh!
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Barry_M2
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:02 - 08 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh god, I have loads of little gadgets and bits like that...

Magnet on ariel (as above)
Loctite stick (as Bonny)
Copperslip/grease (goes on everything!!)
Cable ties
WD40 Very Happy
Big drum of brake cleaner
Hydraulic table/bike lift (best thing I ever brought!)

.. to name a few.
____________________
ZXR750R (M2) - For the road.
CBR1000 RR4 - For the track.
https://www.bikechatforums.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4332
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

1016.5
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 28 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:05 - 08 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:

If I wash it it a) shows crash damage more and b) highlights that I never ever clean my plate.


I always clean my plate.

Burp ... Fat Tim.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:16 - 08 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Self amalgamating tape for wiring jobs. It bonds to itself, so after wrapping you end up with a watertight seal that doesn't degrade like normal electrical tape does.

Metrinch socket and spanner set, which grips on the flats rather than the points. Less chance of rounding stuff off, and more chance of moving rounded off stuff. Was great for the Enfield, which had a mix of imperial and metric sizes in use.
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mord
Nearly there...



Joined: 11 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:30 - 08 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot do without.. my 120 piece Halfrauds socket / spanner set + my big toolbox with all sorts of tools (additional sockets, clamping tools, hammers, drills, screws, screw drivers, saws) and many more.. I hate to start doing something only to realise that I need to buy something i.e. when I had my car jacked up on a driveway, wheels removed just to find out that my calipers needed 7mm allen socket tool, and my 120 piece box had only 8mm and 6mm sizes Laughing

I need all my tools.. every single one of them.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:36 - 08 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubber Mallet, my home made creeper seat (Took the back off of an old office chair) and my compressor.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dr. DaveJPS
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:37 - 08 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

at the bare minimum a 14mm sparkplug spanner and my large socket spanner for the sump-plug
____________________
"intelligent inattention is preferable to unintelligent tinkering"
www.davejps.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

yen_powell
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:39 - 08 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

My big tub of coppaslip.

My wind down bead breaker.

My nip proof italian tyre levers.

My home made headbearing adjusting socket.

My right angled screwdriver.

My T-handled crosshead screwdriver (rarely fails to do the job, stolen from my brother 20 years ago).

My mercury carb gauges.

But most importantly............

My kettle, teabags, long life milk pots and stereo system.
____________________
Blackmail is a nasty word........but not as nasty as phlegm!
XT1200Z and a DR350 in bits
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Handsome
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:01 - 08 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't gotten any pictures of them but I couldn't do without ' Keith ' or ' Terry ', they are my bike bitches and they do all the shit I can't be arsed to do or can't do, due to lack of tools or space...

God love 'em, drop the bike round and whatever needs doing is done for when I get back or if I'm there on the bike I just mention so and so could do with doing, it dissapears in the garage and comes out done, all while I'm drinking tea...

Tidy... Thumbs Up
____________________
Previous Bikes...Honda NSR 125 RR...Kawasaki Zephyr 550...Suzuki SV 1000 S...Yamaha FZ8...Current Bike...Suzuki GSX-R 750...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:15 - 08 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

NSR-AD wrote:
all while I'm drinking tea...



... to get rid of the taste of those big salty loads you've had to swallow Wink

I'd rather do the work myself then pay /that/ price.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:33 - 08 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot another vital item, which since I quit it seems every job is more awkward without them :-

https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2293/2704897100_afa1d8c677.jpg
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:52 - 08 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with shaggy on the fags.

Apart from that, my radio and my overalls, and recently my 3/8" allen bits.

One thing I would like, but either doesn't exist or costs more than a house, would be a laptop with every manual and every fiche for every bike ever made. Trying to get a diagram of an RD350 YPVS F2 front master cylinder is proving tricky, the manuals people have only cover the LC2 and F1.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Handsome
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:58 - 08 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:
NSR-AD wrote:
all while I'm drinking tea...



... to get rid of the taste of those big salty loads you've had to swallow Wink

I'd rather do the work myself then pay /that/ price.


I don't pay ANY price me old slap old salty sea dog... Thumbs Up
____________________
Previous Bikes...Honda NSR 125 RR...Kawasaki Zephyr 550...Suzuki SV 1000 S...Yamaha FZ8...Current Bike...Suzuki GSX-R 750...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Danzio
Nova Slayer



Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:08 - 08 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

for general cleaning of the bike...i suppose my muc-off!

other than that simple allen keys torque driver, rubber mallet! spanner set's, wd-40, degreaser, wurths dry chain lube and a bottle of 2 stroke oil, just to smell Smile

i also have my stereo on whilst working, with overalls, a box of rubbers (gloves) kettle, tea etc and ofcourse my cigarettes for when the stress mounts Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:19 - 08 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torque wrench, I don't trust my abilities to know if a nut is too loose or to tight.
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:59 - 08 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, methinks you're missing the point guys.

This isn't a list of every tool you own, or the fact they are helpful (Doh!).

Just things people may not know about that you rely on heavily, like the locktite or magnet on a stick etc.

Got to agree with Shaggy though, fags are very helpful. Gives you a second to contemplate your next course of (impatiently violent) action and decide against it. I'm also finding Classic FM to be a great help in keeping me sane.

Really should remember to preroll cigs before working on it though, dread to think the state of my lungs after a few oil/brake fluid cigs.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:05 - 08 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't get buy without my Castrol LM grease. Gets used on everything from the bike to the car to the house. Thumbs Up
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:11 - 08 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:

I'd rather do the work myself then pay /that/ price.


... but a lot of people don't mind paying the price! In which case, for them, the service centre mechanics are the piece of bike maintenance gear that they couldn't do without! Wink

Is that not a valid answer to your question??!! Laughing
____________________
Love is 1050cc Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 148 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 1 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 135.23 Kb