Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Counter steering

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:45 - 14 May 2009    Post subject: Counter steering Reply with quote

Just a quicky, should it be more of a push on the inside bar or a pull on the outside? Or is it a case of whatever feels better?

c_dug
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kwaks
I'm not a fast rider



Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:52 - 14 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

usually a push for me, but a bit of both won't go amiss Thumbs Up
____________________
Fallen Angel "Nae sniffing my seat now!!!!! "
www.cliqueycuntsmcc.co.uk
I AM NOT A FAST RIDER!!!!!!!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Acemastr
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:53 - 14 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is no right way, try doing it with only one hand, you'll see just how much force you use to do it, then with both hands and how simple it is, it's a natural movement, as long as the bike leans you're doing it right1
____________________
2017 KTM 350 XC-F - 2014 Yamaha R6 - 2005 Yamaha YZ125
2016 Toyota Tacoma Limited
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:50 - 14 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually do both if I'm trying to turn quickly.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

damz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:15 - 14 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

it just happens when you need it to, i have never thought about it i just do it.
____________________
Current Bikes RVF400 - 94
Cars: RX7 FD, Eunos Roadster
Former Bikes: FZR 250R 89, ZX7R 98
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JAMSXR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:29 - 14 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

When cornering, if I use one hand it will always feel more secure when using my pushing hand.
____________________
Honda SFX50 > Aprilia SR125 > Aprilia RS125 > Honda RFV400 > K4 GSXR600 > KTM Duke > C1H 636 > K3 GSXR1000 > Aprilia RSV-R > Triumph Street Triple R > Ducati 899 Panigale > Aprilia Tuono 1100 > Triumph Daytona 675R > KTM SuperDuke 1290 2.0
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

s44678
Guest





PostPosted: 16:08 - 14 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're on it: When trying to straighten back up quickly after a corner, I feel like I really need to yank the bars straight to get the bike to stand up. Is this normal?

Always a bit scared of using the power to straighten the bike up in case the back steps out.
 Back to top
You must be logged in to rate posts

Smooth
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:19 - 14 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

skluff wrote:
While we're on it: When trying to straighten back up quickly after a corner, I feel like I really need to yank the bars straight to get the bike to stand up. Is this normal?


Use the throttle.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord



Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:22 - 14 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

MC Bodge wrote:
skluff wrote:
While we're on it: When trying to straighten back up quickly after a corner, I feel like I really need to yank the bars straight to get the bike to stand up. Is this normal?


Use the throttle.


^^ This. The bike automatically wants to straighten up if you use the throttle. Just don't go wild with it.
____________________
'10 SV650SF, '83 GS650GT (it lives!), Questionable DIY dash project, 3D Printer project, Lasercutter project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Acemastr
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:28 - 14 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

skluff wrote:
While we're on it: When trying to straighten back up quickly after a corner, I feel like I really need to yank the bars straight to get the bike to stand up. Is this normal?

Always a bit scared of using the power to straighten the bike up in case the back steps out.


Counter steering INTO the corner will stand the bike up as well we learn that on 125's , not enough power to stand it back up lol.
Going round a left corner, push your right hand forward and it'll stand up.
____________________
2017 KTM 350 XC-F - 2014 Yamaha R6 - 2005 Yamaha YZ125
2016 Toyota Tacoma Limited
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TheFoxyDuke
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:55 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find a push to be easier to execute and a bit more natural (at least it's on the same side as the direction you want to turn) and I think the brain finds it easier to interpret.

On the other hand (pardon the pun) a pull on the outside bar seems to be more effective and produce a smoother turn.

So I guess a bit of both would do the trick Confused

BTW I still can't explain the whols dynamics behind it properly Rolling Eyes

FoxyD
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Tot
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:59 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people should bookmark this:

Andy Ibbot shows how to "pick-up" on track... can be applied to the roads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cbQoW3rk2o&feature=PlayList&p=49ED07A6AEF2DD6E&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=4
____________________
The Tot 2019 Z1000SX - 2007 R1
Never argue with autism
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pyx_e
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:46 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little body lean makes the arms do it naturally. Leaning inot a right-hander makes the right arm shorter (push) and left arm extend (pull).
____________________
Shiney!
Kawasaki: ER5, Versys, VN900.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:52 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not really the natural counter steer im worried about, as the name suggests that kind of happens naturaly, im more on about if im running wide in a corner and need to tighten up the turn kind of thing.

I find myself using mr right hand regardless of the direction of the corner.

c_dug
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheFoxyDuke
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:53 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyx_e wrote:
A little body lean makes the arms do it naturally. Leaning inot a right-hander makes the right arm shorter (push) and left arm extend (pull).


Surely if we're countersteering into a right-hander then the right arm is extending (pushing) not becoming shorter Confused

FoxyD
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

robbieguy2003
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:56 - 15 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends how you're riding really..

I've found when its slippy weather then hanging off a bit keeps the bike more upright and gives you a little more grip.

I'll tend to lean off before the corner, say its a right hand turn ill hang off right, push the left bar to counter steer the other way which keeps the bike in a straight line (me leaning pulls right/me counter steering left pulls left and it equals out).

Then when I hit where I want to turn in a counter steer the other right which tips the bike in.

The above seems to work for me and gives me more confidence in corners even though at times i prob do look like a monkey!

I've normally only pushed the inside bar rather than also pulled the outside, especially on left handers as that lets your right hand just do the throttle.
____________________
Current Bikes: Honda CBR 600RR - '07, Suzuki GSX1250 FA ST '11
Old Bikes: Suzuki Intruder 125 LC - '2001, Honda CBR 600F - '92, Honda CBR 600RR - '03
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 145 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.61 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 90.2 Kb