Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


When simple jobs go wrong...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:14 - 18 Sep 2009    Post subject: When simple jobs go wrong... Reply with quote

Tomorrow it's a very special day for Donkey - it's MOT day. The garage are forewarned of the special treatment Donkey requires and have been kindly asked not to laugh.

Donkey has been spruced up especially for the occasion and tonight, I had the very simple task of fitting a new clutch lever. To be honest, I was amazed at how dirty my hands were from just removing the old lever... I must have been reading too many "Heavy Bus Racing" 'how to' guides (ok, so that required some percussive persuasion and a lot of WD40) and putting the new one on. Here's my dirty hand.

https://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs235.snc1/8235_258142770566_790925566_8726176_6836566_n.jpg

From there, I checked the oil level... bugger all. Which reminds me, the car's been running a bit on the hot side so I'd better check the coolant level.

Off I toddle and get the bonnet open. There's barely any water in there, so I get my watering can and ring Dad so he can listen to Donkey running. I get ever so slightly carried away chatting and overfill the expansion chamber completely.

Me: "Bugger!"
Dad: "What's the matter?"
Me: "Too much water in the car now"
Dad" "Ah, just stick the cap on and run it for a bit, then see."
Me *clambers into car, starts it*
Dad: "muffle muffle muffle"
Me: "Can't hear you, car's too loud"

There's no difference made, so there's only one thing for it - syphoning.
I try using a squeezy squash bottle, but that's just useless and I manage to extract approximately 50ml which I then promptly spill all over my engine.

Dad is still on the phone at this point: "Er, don't you have any hosepipe?"
Me: "It's all scummy and full of spiders and crawling things"
Dad: Just chop the ends off and give it a swill through

I can't give it a swill through unfortunately, because, somehow, I managed to empty my pond last night so one end of my proper hosepipe is in the pond filling it up. I assess my tools and decide a bread knife is definitely the best thing for the job of chopping up a hosepipe.

Phone still under one ear, I start chopping.

Me: OUCH!!! FOooooook!!!
Dad: *laughs*
Me: I've sawed my bloody finger and now I've got bloody blood all on my new kitchen worksurface!! AND I'm going to get it on my engine cos it's bleeding everywhere! Meh
Dad: What were you using?
Me: Breadknife

I can hear Dad face-palming

My sawed finger:
https://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs235.snc1/8235_258142775566_790925566_8726177_6158891_n.jpg

Never mind. On with the task in hand. Out I go with my sawn-off green hosepipe, now attractively decorated with blood.
https://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs215.snc1/8235_258142780566_790925566_8726178_6045464_n.jpg

In it goes, and I start to suck. Dad's trying to give me advice how I can do this without having to suck, I'm too impatient.

BLEH BLEH BLEH BLEH BLEH!!! Pah! *spit spit*

The stuff tastes MINGING!
Dad, is still on the phone and laughing at me. Thanks Dad.
Dad: I take it you ignored my advice and just sucked? Well, has it worked?
Me: Er, well it stopped after I waved the end of the hosepipe around as I spat out the coolant in my mouth.
Dad: You know you've got to keep the end below the expansion chamber don't you?
Me: YES!!
*sucks again*
I haven't learnt my lesson and get yet another mouth full of still warm, foul tasting antifreeze.
Geh.

To add insult to injury, when I was tidying up and putting my sawed-off hosepiper away I managed to put my whole head in a big spider's web.

Edit, a little photo whoring of my 'hot' car:
https://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs215.snc1/8235_258142785566_790925566_8726179_2496954_n.jpg

I'm off to drink wine to try and get this nasty horrid taste out of my mouth. Donkey had better pass it's MOT tomorrow!
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:18 - 18 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
Its just not your day, is it?
Laughing
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Barry_M2
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:19 - 18 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

I cant believe you backed it all up with pics too!! Laughing

Brilliant! Thumbs Up

Oh, and hope your finger doesn't drop off! Thumbs Up
____________________
ZXR750R (M2) - For the road.
CBR1000 RR4 - For the track.
https://www.bikechatforums.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4332
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian



Joined: 05 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:23 - 18 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clutch plates on a VFR, 3 days and lots of swearing on G's drive way!!! Stupid Japanese!

I feel your pain.

Smile

Luke
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Handsome
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:28 - 18 Sep 2009    Post subject: Re: When simple jobs go wrong... Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:

I'm off to drink wine to try and get this nasty horrid taste out of my mouth.


Tried a glass of milk ?...
____________________
Previous Bikes...Honda NSR 125 RR...Kawasaki Zephyr 550...Suzuki SV 1000 S...Yamaha FZ8...Current Bike...Suzuki GSX-R 750...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer



Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:28 - 18 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my G/F is bleeding I always get her to suck. Wink
____________________
Famous last words of Humpty Dumpty. " Stop pushing me "
Petty Anarchists look at "1984".............. The Visionary looks at "Animal Farm".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SlimRick
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:32 - 18 Sep 2009    Post subject: Re: When simple jobs go wrong... Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:

In it goes, and I start to suck. Dad's trying to give me advice how I can do this without having to suck, I'm too impatient.



You've made my day - I feel a signature quote coming up Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Handsome
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:34 - 18 Sep 2009    Post subject: Re: When simple jobs go wrong... Reply with quote

SlimRick wrote:
Annabella wrote:

In it goes, and I start to suck. Dad's trying to give me advice how I can do this without having to suck, I'm too impatient.



You've made my day - I feel a signature quote coming up Thumbs Up


I very nearly sig'd it myself... Laughing
____________________
Previous Bikes...Honda NSR 125 RR...Kawasaki Zephyr 550...Suzuki SV 1000 S...Yamaha FZ8...Current Bike...Suzuki GSX-R 750...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter



Joined: 01 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:37 - 18 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
Clutch plates on a VFR, 3 days and lots of swearing on G's drive way!!! Stupid Japanese!

I feel your pain.

Smile

Luke


What's difficult about it, I know the hub is reversed, is it getting the centre nut off? My clutch is siezed as the engine I bought was stored with no cover on and the plates are totally stuck together, need to strip it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian



Joined: 05 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:40 - 18 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't remember what order I took it all out. There was something like 30 bits, stupid expanding clutch thingy.

The first time I put it together the clutch worked in reverse Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:55 - 19 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

To update: Donkey passed it's MOT Dance!


After having to fiddle with the lights which inexplicably stopped working during the MOT, having to fit a new front brake switch after the existing one fell apart in my hand whilst fiddling with headlights, and fitting a new throttle cable when taking apart the switches to see why the lights had stopped working revealed there were only 2 threads holding the thing together.
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:08 - 19 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Donkey.

TS
trying hard to resist the urge to say something about women always spitting whilst pulling faces.
____________________
I'm immortal. Well, so far.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Major_Grooves
The Doctor



Joined: 10 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:12 - 19 Sep 2009    Post subject: Re: When simple jobs go wrong... Reply with quote

SlimRick wrote:
Annabella wrote:

In it goes, and I start to suck. Dad's trying to give me advice how I can do this without having to suck, I'm too impatient.



You've made my day - I feel a signature quote coming up Thumbs Up


The next two line ruin the moment though. :/

Quote:
BLEH BLEH BLEH BLEH BLEH!!! Pah! *spit spit*

The stuff tastes MINGING!

____________________
About me|@Major_Grooves|My company|Digg|Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:06 - 19 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a tendency to lose finger ends whilst using knives too... Shocked
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew



Joined: 05 Nov 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:25 - 19 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody go over to his house & weld his fucking toolbox shut Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:37 - 19 Sep 2009    Post subject: Re: When simple jobs go wrong... Reply with quote

Easy syphoning... get an empty washing up liquid bottle and make a hole next in the top, next to the lid.
Attach tube. Squeeze bottle with hole open, place finger over hole and let go.

Or get a fancy syphon pump thingy like what I got for racing Smile.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:09 - 20 Sep 2009    Post subject: Re: When simple jobs go wrong... Reply with quote

G wrote:
Easy syphoning... get an empty washing up liquid bottle and make a hole next in the top, next to the lid.
Attach tube. Squeeze bottle with hole open, place finger over hole and let go.



Which is sort of what I tried to do with the squeezy squash bottle, because all three of my washing up liquid bottles are half full...
I've got a special syphoning bit of hosepipe now. I'm happy. Very Happy
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Handsome
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:01 - 20 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you could have filled two of the bottles up from the third one, wouldn't have mattered about mixing them as they're only washing up liquids anyway...

Just for future reference like... Wink
____________________
Previous Bikes...Honda NSR 125 RR...Kawasaki Zephyr 550...Suzuki SV 1000 S...Yamaha FZ8...Current Bike...Suzuki GSX-R 750...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wave2k
G's Stalker



Joined: 06 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:11 - 20 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I opened some cheese a few days ago and ended up driving the knife through my hand.

simple things Sad
____________________
Ducati 1299 Panigale
2009 Corvette C6 z51
RS125->CBR400->RXS100->GSXR750K2->Ducati749S->CBR600RR5->TL1000R->DRz400->RSVR1000->Honda VTR SP1->CBR400->GSXR1000K6->Honda H100->CBR600RR3->Ducati1299
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian



Joined: 05 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:55 - 20 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple minds Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

st3v3
Super Spammer



Joined: 16 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:14 - 20 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it amusing that during this drama there were moments of pause for taking pictures. Laughing
____________________
Roger wrote: Women don't get damp for clingy puppies. Get some better happy pills, hit the gym & buy a medallion the size of a dinner plate. Job done
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser



Joined: 20 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:48 - 20 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix wrote:
What's difficult about it, I know the hub is reversed, is it getting the centre nut off? My clutch is siezed as the engine I bought was stored with no cover on and the plates are totally stuck together, need to strip it.


For some reason it's very fiddly. I had to take mine apart and put it back together three times before it started working properly (remember the Horseshoe pass? That was attempt 1 from Stew). Don't even know what caused it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:25 - 20 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and the issue with Luke's VFR was that we had initially messed up the two separate halves of the clutch basket - only bike I've seen with a design like that. I've done/helped with quite a few since, and they work first time now Smile.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:36 - 20 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

NSR-AD wrote:
So you could have filled two of the bottles up from the third one, wouldn't have mattered about mixing them as they're only washing up liquids anyway...


Oooo no, one cannot mix Lavender with Ocean Fresh, that would just produce a whole amount of wrong smelling washing up liquid.
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kingsmith
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 04 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:51 - 20 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

my big guestion is why you needed to remove some water, top up and drive away do it all the time with my car?

Question Question

its not totaly closed water system in there..always some where to come out..

always fines its own level..
____________________
honda cg 125 copy cheap and crap, perfect for work..
suzuki gsxr600 srad 2000
passed 12/11/09 happy boy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 21 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.81 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 136.1 Kb